AoA Suite vs. Swan

aleh021

Mouseketeer
Title says it all but let me break it down...

We are going down in late November and are planning on a split stay.
Nov 16 - Nov 23

We have Nov 20 - 23 booked in a studio at Copper Creek! *super excited*

For the first half we have Nov 16 - Nov 20 booked at Art of Animation in a Finding Nemo Suite!
However - Priceline has an awesome deal for Swan at $1028.00 (including resort fee).

Right now our total at AoA is $1515. Its a difference of $487.

My biggest fear is Swan is non-refundable and its a done deal.

Where as AoA can be modified. Truthfully we want to stay in the Gran Destino Tower but there is no availability but in the small chance there is we have the ability to change.

Any advice/thoughts? I know the pros and cons already as far resort fees, magical express, magic bands, etc.

Thank you :)!

Last edited:
Who is going? If you are taking kids under 10 I would say to stick with AoA. If this is an adult or family with teens trip check out the Swan. Also, if you book the Swan can you not check to see if Gran Destino has availability or will you look every few days? Regret is not a great way to start a vacation.

I think who's going matters, too. If you have kids, stay in AoA. If this is adults or teens, the Swan's proximity to EPCOT and DHS is great and so is 487$.

No kids!
We're all adults on this trip. 3 adults to be exact!

with AoA - I found the suites really appealing because of the 2 bathrooms.
with Swan - I love the distance of Epcot & HS.

Even with kids, I'd choose swan in a heartbeat.
The time saved in travel to and from DHS and Epcot is worth REAL $ to me, but I love both parks, and get hoppers so we can spend time at each park several different days during a trip. Swan / Dolphin food options are also a big draw, not to mention that all of the EP area resorts are connected by walking paths if you'd like to go to one of their restaurants for a meal, and you can be in the WS in ten minutes after leaving your room if you'd like a meal there. The Boardwalk is basically the back door of the Swan also.
480.00 in savings to Stay at Swan? No brainer in my book.

For our first stay at Swan, I didn't understand why it was a little bit cheaper than a value at the time. I assumed Swan had to be a dank motel. Boy, was I happy I researched and went with my gut feeling of "do what's right for your family" and picked Swan.

Do what's right for yours. Maybe the need for two br is more important, which is understandable.

I'd choose Swan. Not even close. The Beds, the pools, the restaurants, the location, the price...No brainer for my fam, but yours might be different. Good luck with whatever you choose.

With three adults I would definitely go with the Swan! You will have a real, comfortable bed for everyone. The rooms are more comfortable than the suite at AoA, IMO. Also, quieter. The location between Epcot and DHS is amazing! The dining options are delicious! You are moving from a value resort to a deluxe for a total of only $487!

Did you check out the website to see if there are any changeable reservations available at a good rate?
I just looked at your dates. There is a rate of $318.42 available with free cancellation. ( plus $25 per day resort fee). That is for something called "double run of house" whatever that means. I miss Starwood!

We absolutely love the Swan , however!

ETA: found the Dolphin on Marriott website for $235 per night standard room with cancellation up to 5 days prior to arrival. Doubles instead of queen beds though. (Plus resort fees)

Last edited:
Having stayed once at the Swan, my advice is to stay at AoA. The Swan is a very nice hotel that, to me, felt like it could be anywhere in the US. I don't mean that I want in-your-face loud Disney icons, etc., everywhere, but I want to feel like I'm at Disney, not like I could just be anywhere. The Disney resorts all have some kind of unifying, well-designed theme. I like that and it's one of my fave things at WDW. The Swan's theme could be described as "American hotel."

Also, there are a lot of conventioneers who stay at the Swan. That might not bother you, but I felt like I was in an office building when I was there.

Yes, the location is convenient.

It really depends on what you want and what you like. If you're happy staying at a pretty nice generic hotel and the location is a big deal to you, then perhaps you would like it there. Many DISers do like it there! This is just another opinion--one among many.

The extra bathroom in the AoA suite, though, sounds too good to turn down. I'd vote for it just based on that alone since there are 3 adults in your party.

You did say you're aware of the MDE situation if you stay at the Swan, but if you are flying in and not renting a car, add the expense of transportation to and from the Swan to your possible savings.

And, last--I prefer booking through WDW. One of the reasons is their cancellation policy, which you mentioned. You said you really want to stay at the Gran Destino Tower (which looks appealing to me too!). There's nothing available right now, but what if something becomes available before your stay? You wouldn't be able to switch if you reserved the Swan.

We have stayed in AoA and Swan.
AoA - great room (cars suite) and resort theming, reasonable food court and okay pool. Very child focused for obvious reasons.
Swan - great room (no theming though), much better location, but very busy and business-like when conference on, didn't feel the Disney magic. We didn't eat the food so can't comment.

I’d stay at the Swan, especially if it’s an adult trip. The location can’t be beat. Being able to walk from Epcot back to your hotel (with a stop by the Boardwalk for a beverage) is wonderful. Yes, it lacks the Disney magic. But it makes up for it in the quality of rooms and the location.

Swan in a heartbeat! The location is amazing. We often take adult only trips and land at the Swan. In fact, we just did a split stay between the Swan and Grand Floridian. Loved changing resort areas amd being close to everything! The good news is you'll get ME on the tail end of your trip and MagicBands as well from your CC stay.

I guess that I don't really get the "Disney bubble".

One of the rooms above has Disney magic and the other doesn't? Both rooms look awesome to me. Looking out the window of either one will give you a view of WDW. You can see Disney fireworks from some rooms at either one. Walk outside to the friendship boats to Epcot/DHS or Disney buses. Or go outside and walk to the BWI or the YC/BC. You can often see DHS or Epcot from your room from the Swan or Dolphin, or at least a Disney Resort. At CSR walk outside to Disney buses.

Now AoA is definitely much more heavily themed with Disney animation, but for adults I don't see a big difference in the rooms in many WDW resort rooms and those at the Swan/Dolphin.

Waiting for DME doesn't excite me at all. We prefer to take a taxi or Lyft too WDW. No waiting and straight to your own resort without doing a tour of three others. Ours always seems to be the last drop off.

Some Disney hotels are convention hotels as well. You may see people in suits at multiple resorts on Disney property.

Here's the Yacht Club room next door: more Disney themed?

Yes, this room is gorgeous.

Why are you going? If you are going for a generic getaway, Swan is great. But if you are going so you can immerse yourself in Disney Magic, then I'd recommend AoA.

As others have posted, Swan is businesslike, quiet, reserved, and in our experience is often filled with convention attendees dressed in business attire talking into their cell phones about debentures.

AoA has outstanding Disney theming (where else can you stay at the Cozy Cone Motel?), and is filled with noisy vacation-going families wearing flip flops, and toting Mickey balloons.

We go to WDW often, and--in our 60s--love being around the noise and the Magic, but I know that's not for everyone.

I guess that I don't really get the "Disney bubble".
One of the rooms above has Disney magic and the other doesn't?
Actually, I'm disappointed with the way a lot of the recent renovations of the resorts have been going, turning previously theme-specific rooms into "nice" hotel rooms. I enjoy the theming and the immersive atmosphere that it creates. WL and AKL are two prime examples of that, and they aren't in-your-face Disney, but they are exceedingly well themed throughout the resort.

I've never stayed at a WDW resort in the Boardwalk area, so I can't comment about YC, BC, or BWI, but I can tell you that the time I stayed at the Swan, it had zero Disney feel and near-zero vacation feel. To me. I'm not saying this is true for everyone. But I'm not in love with seeing suits with name tags having business discussions while I'm on vacation. I mean, I don't even want to see that in regular life, and don't, since I work at home.

I do like the Disney bubble. It's part of the fun of a WDW vacation to me. But that's just me, and it's just now, because in the past, I stayed off-site, since that's all I could afford. It's possible that'll happen again, and I'll still go, because I enjoy the parks, but it won't be the same.

A lot of people here at the DIS love the Swan and Dolphin. I understand. It's just not for me.

Does anyone have different thoughts about AoA transportation now that Skyliner is back in business? We have stayed at Dolphin and Beach Club and love being able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. But with Skyliner access, I expect that AoA travel time will also be quick, just not sure how quick compared to the Epcot resorts.

I wanna hijack this thread real quick. I am looking at staying at the AoA suite with 4 total adults for the star wars run weekend in April. But reading this thread has me thinking about Swan/Dolphin. Which would be better when going for the run? I'm not sure where the route is for the run, but if it ends on epcot, not sure i'd wanna walk to the hotel after running 10k lol

I wanna hijack this thread real quick. I am looking at staying at the AoA suite with 4 total adults for the star wars run weekend in April. But reading this thread has me thinking about Swan/Dolphin. Which would be better when going for the run? I'm not sure where the route is for the run, but if it ends on epcot, not sure i'd wanna walk to the hotel after running 10k lol

Sorry, I can't help but I just wanted to suggest that perhaps you should post a new thread in the attractions forum for your question. You may get more responses that way.

Sorry, I can't help but I just wanted to suggest that perhaps you should post a new thread in the attractions forum for your question. You may get more responses that way.

I'm pretty much askin the same question OP is, not sure why I would post a thread in the attractions. I'm just adding to the question mentioned I'm coming for the 10k

Are you asking about transportation options to AOA vs walking to Swolphin from Epcot?

I can tell you this:
You'll more than likely be IN YOUR ROOM at Swolphin WITH an ice cream from Ample Hills before you even get in a gondola or on a bus. Remember, the waters don't magically part just because you show up. You have to wait in a queue sometimes. I can't comment on how my feets would feel after running a 10k, but the walk to Swolphin from the IG is pretty chill. Takes about 10 minutes. Plus, well...Ample Hills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter