AoA vs Fort wilderness Cabins

kathy040690

Mouseketeer
We were looking at staying at either AOA or all star music..

however we have now changed it to either AoA or fort wilderness cabins. There will be 7 of us (2 adults kids age 9,7,6,2,1)
we would either be in a suite at the AoA or a cabin

I'm just a little confused with the cabins though.

1. do we NEED to rent a golf cart?
2. where are the pools?
3.how is the transportation around the resort/ to and from parks?

which would YOU chose !!?

I think some main considerations when deciding between AoA and a FW Cabin are

1) How hard will it be for you all to share one bathroom?
2) How many of your children are able to share beds?
3) Is the stove top/convection oven a big plus for you (vs. the "kitchenette" of the AoA suite?)

We are a family of 6 (kids are between 11-17) and we have chosen the cabin. My kids are all boys and don't spend too long in the bathroom, so I don't anticipate that as a problem. Also, they would prefer separate beds as much as possible, so the bunk beds helps more for that.
We also will likely use the stove top to make things like eggs for breakfast or heat up soup.

This will be our first time staying at the cabins as a family, but I stayed in a cabin by myself a few years ago. I did not rent a golf cart and was fine, but other people's needs/experiences might be different.

Cabins are standalone buildings, so much less noise for your little ones to sleep. And not as much worry about them making noise either.

No, a golf cart is not necessary, but you will need to take a bus to the main pool, campfire area, and boat to MK. There is a lovely quiet pool at the cabins.

In the cabin, I assume you will put the kids in the bedroom and keep the adults and baby in the living room. Vs. AoA, the adults could take the bedroom and real bed.

Cabin also has a deck and the wildlife and shade from the trees all around the cabin is just lovely. We love the cabins.

Actually you may want to call and check. I think someone had a hard time booking a suite at AOA with 7 even though 1 was an infant. I could be wrong though. I know max capacity is 6 normally.

We absolutely adored the cabins. We didn't rent a golf cart, although we did rent bikes; they were a bit of fun but totally unnecessary! The buses were absolutely fine. I think there was only one night coming back from the parks where there was a bit of a backlog of people disembarking from the external buses and waiting for the internal ones. I admit, to access the internal bus we did cut through the middle of the cabin loop to the main road and it saved a lot of time!

There are 2 pools - 1 in the Meadow and 1 next to loop 2500. We were in 2600 so could walk to that pool; it was as far as we were expected to walk to get the bus anyway!

We most definitely loved having the kitchen. Our entire week stay we only purchased meals twice (not including Mickey ice creams and dole whips!) and this was not just because we were trying to save money! There was also plenty of space available to sit, etc. which was lovely. It really was like a home away from home.

I think some main considerations when deciding between AoA and a FW Cabin are

1) How hard will it be for you all to share one bathroom?
2) How many of your children are able to share beds?
3) Is the stove top/convection oven a big plus for you (vs. the "kitchenette" of the AoA suite?)

We are a family of 6 (kids are between 11-17) and we have chosen the cabin. My kids are all boys and don't spend too long in the bathroom, so I don't anticipate that as a problem. Also, they would prefer separate beds as much as possible, so the bunk beds helps more for that.
We also will likely use the stove top to make things like eggs for breakfast or heat up soup.

This will be our first time staying at the cabins as a family, but I stayed in a cabin by myself a few years ago. I did not rent a golf cart and was fine, but other people's needs/experiences might be different.

It shouldn't be hard for us all to share a bathroom. kids shower/bath before bed and hubby and I in the morning so it breaks it up a bit !

My kids don't mind sharing beds. they are all small for their age so that's not a problem.

I honestly don't know how much we will use the stove and such since we are a all day at the park people.

Cabins are standalone buildings, so much less noise for your little ones to sleep. And not as much worry about them making noise either.

No, a golf cart is not necessary, but you will need to take a bus to the main pool, campfire area, and boat to MK. There is a lovely quiet pool at the cabins.

In the cabin, I assume you will put the kids in the bedroom and keep the adults and baby in the living room. Vs. AoA, the adults could take the bedroom and real bed.

Cabin also has a deck and the wildlife and shade from the trees all around the cabin is just lovely. We love the cabins.

I like the idea of having our own little building. not so much for it being quiet but so my loud kids don't bug the neighbours lol !!

Actually you may want to call and check. I think someone had a hard time booking a suite at AOA with 7 even though 1 was an infant. I could be wrong though. I know max capacity is 6 normally.

Its letting me do it online for my dates so I am guessing it should be fine !

I think my biggest concern with your family at Cabins is the logistics and transportation. You will need to walk to end of loop to catch a bus, fold stroller, load everyone .... go to where you want in campground, or to boat dock to transfer to a boat or to front gate to transfer to another bus to parks. For us it was a pain and started driving to all parks, and didn't use the amenities because nothing was walkable. I prefer to be at a resort where we can walk everywhere and have one ride to parks, no transfers. We also found the loop bus to often be crowded.

We stayed at both in September, (relocated due to Irma), and I think it really depends on what you want out of the vacation. We had booked the cabin because we didn't plan to be in the parks from can to can't, and actually had a day planned that was to be for nothing but Fort activities and dinner at the Hoop Dee Doo. We rented a golf cart, but I do recognize that that's not a necessity, but we just loved riding around.

Unfortunately, we were cut short, and didn't get to do all we had planned before being moved, but if I had been going to just be in the parks most of the time I was there, I would go with AoA just because there's less to think about. The cabins make for a very unique Disney experience in that you do feel so much more secluded and it's quiet, with less hustle and bustle, but if you're not going to be spending much day time there, then it's kind of wasted. Plus, you get that second bathroom at AoA as well as 3 pools, a splashpad, and a playground. Obviously the Fort has boocoodles of activities for kids, but you'll have to really forego park time to take advantage of them, more so, than I would think at AoA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter