AP discount & paying separately question

m&m's mom

<font color=deeppink>Waiting for the waterless cru
We will be going to WDW with our 2 college aged children and one of our DD's boyfriend.

I have an AP and my question is, if we pay separately, can they still get the benefit of my AP discount?

We had the DP last time and it was not for us. Too much food at the wrong time, we never got the proper snack credits per person worked out- just more trouble than it was worth.

My thought process was to buy 5 GC's for the same amount as the DP and use let everyone manager their own money. If they order reasonably, they get to use the rest on whatever they want. But..... if they cannot use my AP when paying when we are at the same table, I have got to come up with Plan B.

This from the Annual Passholder's area of MDE: 10% Discount applies to the non-discounted price of food and non-alcoholic beverages (excluding applicable tax and gratuity) during all available meal periods. Special events and dining packages excluded unless otherwise noted. Valid for the Passholder and up to three (3) Guests.

It is my understanding that you would have to pay the bill in total to receive the discount. You can't transfer your benefits to non-passholders.

I think TiW’s discount is valid for up to 10 guests and it applies the discount to alcohol, which may be useful for college age people.

Yup, that complicates multiple payment methods. good luck w that :duck:

We ate at Wolfgang Puck recently as a party of 6 (three different bills). They applied our AP discount to all three of the bills.

I had 2 different experiences- once I showed it and my mom paid the bill no problem. Same at a few other restaurants. They acknowledged it and most didn’t mind which band it went on.

At a merchandise cart my sister and I were buying something, I showed my card and my sister went to pay for the item and they said no. She handed me the cash then and I paid... the guy rolled his eyes but accepted it then.

seems like it’s up to the cast member

Daughter is an AP holder and they would not allow me to use her discount, when I was paying. When she paid, the asked for her ID and her name had to be on the debit card (yes, we tried to use my card first)

When my daughter, son in law and I ate at Brown Derby last week, I paid for the meal using my credit card. SIL is an Annual passholder, gave them his annual passholder card and they asked for his ID, which he then showed. They gave us the discount. But we didn't have separate bills, which may be the defining point.

At restaurants, I've always paid the bill with either TiW or AP discount.
Buying merchandise, I've often showed my card for the discount and our son and his wife paid for their purchases with their bands. Never had an issue, but it may be up to the CM.

It seems to be up to the cast member.

We frequently travel as a party of 8- myself, dh, our 2 kids and my brother, his wife, and their 2 kids- DH and I have APs and DVC. We've been able to show my AP or DVC for my brother's bill which he pays with his credit card and DH shows his AP or DVC for our bill with no issues. Not sure if its because we have 2 APs in our party that it's worked with separate bills.

Seems like they've been cracking down lately on AP discounts and TiW use. We've always had to show AP and ID to make purchases and TiW name has to match credit card or MB and sometimes had to also show ID. We were at Boma a few months ago and one of our friends has TiW and her husband put his credit card down and was told that he couldn't pay - she had to. The server told us that they can get in trouble if they get caught allowing non-matching payment method to card. Apparently there were too many people lending out cards so even if both the person paying and the person with the discount is present, they will check. Always possible that some CMs may be less sticky than others, but I go with the assumption that payer must equal card holder rather than trying to argue.

Seems like they've been cracking down lately on AP discounts and TiW use. We've always had to show AP and ID to make purchases and TiW name has to match credit card or MB and sometimes had to also show ID. We were at Boma a few months ago and one of our friends has TiW and her husband put his credit card down and was told that he couldn't pay - she had to. The server told us that they can get in trouble if they get caught allowing non-matching payment method to card. Apparently there were too many people lending out cards so even if both the person paying and the person with the discount is present, they will check. Always possible that some CMs may be less sticky than others, but I go with the assumption that payer must equal card holder rather than trying to argue.

This is why it's best when giving advice on this board to go by Disney's written policy. Sure, there have been a few loopholes and some "pixie dust" spread around, but those cannot be counted on...as we've seen lately.

Everyone knows what to expect when quoting Disney policy...and you're not disappointed when it doesn't happen like it did for "so-and-so", or if it does happen, you got some pixie dust extended to you.

Could you pay and then work out the math later? More of a process but they could send you the money.. that or have them use cash/Disney gift cards and you "pay" the bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter