AP prices increased [6/18/2019]

Just bought my kid’s AP through my work discount site (not sure if I can mention name). Still have AP’s discounted from old price. While I was at it I bought a park hopper for her friend at current price (through discount site). Glad I’m set for this year and next. That small direct DVC contract I’m thinking about buying is looking like a much better deal everyday!

I'm not going to dog pile on WDW as people like to do here. I don't like the increase either and now am wishing I had purchased them recently instead of next year like planned. However, the reasons make sense to me, like them or not.

Sorry, but we disagree. Raising prices like they are doing as often as they are doing it, is price gouging on their part IMO because they can, and it's perfectly legal. Doesn't make sense to us. We, too, had plans to purchase APs next Spring for 3 planned trips within the AP year. Already have our ressies for April '20, but we are seriously rethinking now.

Luxury destination, luxury price.

Luxury prices - yes! Destination - no! Lots to do there, but the luxury accommodations, food, etc - not there. That's not what we have been going for so have never considered it a luxurious destination.

Luxury destination, luxury price.
Ummmmm ?? :rolleyes2 Nope, don't think so. For all the same reasons someone else posted. Definitely not luxury.
At least with Disney tickets, you are getting more rides along with the price increase. Probably not worth it to most people, but it's better than what a lot of other corporations are doing. Comcast, for example, keeps raising the cost of my cable package without actually giving me any extra services.
We all have the option of saying no to going to the parks. My wife and I had that conversation just this morning.
More rides?? Think about all they had to take out in order to put SWGE in. And what about everything else that has closed up?
I do agree about the cable service, etc. Just cancelled Direct TV and will rely on Netflix and my internet. TV is so not worth any price these days.
DH and I did, too and now I get to decide if I want to do a long weekend in August weeks before GE opens. Right now, I'm leaning towards no.
I was also considering a solo August trip, then have Aug 19 to Aug 20 year for the AP with 3 trips. Then renew because we will be going Sept 2020 also. Well this price increase just wiped that away. The increase itself was the cost of the airfare.
Now, I'm re-evaluating getting the AP at all!

For us, the break even was right around 9 to 10 days. Meaning 1 longer trip with 1 shorter. Then we sneak in a quick weekend, or 3-4 day trip if we find good airfare.
For the resort, we find in the last 5 or so years the AP discount on rooms is not any better then the room only public discounts. So no true savings there.
We don't do many sit-down meals, so minimal savings. Don't care for the Memory Maker pics, our own pics come out better. Don't drive. I have a Disney Chase card that I can get 10% discounts for merch, and we don't buy much, but some, so minimal savings there.
Even though some of those savings add up, this new increase negates the savings.
Our primary savings came from the savings on tickets, but is it worth it any longer?? I'm now leaning towards NO.

Prices can (and will) increase at any time, on anything (rooms, tickets, parking, food, etc).
So true. I need one more park hopper for our November trip. I plan to go home TODAY and purchase it. I don't want to risk this happening to me like it did many of you.

I know it's been said before, but Disney will continue to push the prices as high as they can without negatively affecting profits. I am sure they would rather have less people in the parks while making more profit, so until they stop making money continue to expect price increases across the board (AP's, hotel rooms, food, etc). I'm sure if they had their way, they would probably get rid of AP's altogether if they could.

Last edited:
I know it's been said before, but Disney will continue to push the prices as high as they can without negatively affecting profits. I am sure they would have less people in the parks while making more profit, so until they stop making money continue to expect price increases across the board (AP's, hotel rooms, food, etc). I'm sure if they had their way, they would probably get rid of AP's altogether if they could.
Not only will they have less people in the parks, but they have people with more expendable income who are likely to spend more in parks and resorts. They know what they are doing.

Makes me glad I bought DVC Direct this year. That is a big discount.

I am seeing it a different way I am looking at buying DVC and this makes me more hesitant because raising annual passes $100 for DVC is $400 for our family in the future (when kids get old enough). This won't be the last increase either and within the next 5 years we could be looking at another $100-$200 worth of increases.

Disney is expensive and I have no issue with that but this sort of aggressive increase has be cautious.

This is out of control.
$900 is roughly equivalent to almost 8 days of tickets! If you're an out of stater that's going to require almost 2 weeks of trips just to break even!

We got 9 park days w/ hoppers for $522 a person for September when we are going. The thing with Disney is you are highly rewarded for taking a single long trip as opposed to splitting since the first 4-5 days of your trip are the most expensive with tickets. Its $530 for 10 park days w/ hopper.

I was thinking of getting one but with the exchange rate that price is just insane for me. I can't justify that.

I'm glad we got the value out of our APs (2 trips) and we probably weren't going to renew them as I'm not sure we'd go in 2020. Was thinking about early 2021 and getting one again but now they aren't worth it for us as we're not going to do 2 trips again in a year. While I expect 2021 ticket prices will go up, APs will as well. It's already nearly $500 more for an AP than a week of park hoppers + memory maker. We might look at DVC down the line but we're not in any rush.

I am seeing it a different way I am looking at buying DVC and this makes me more hesitant because raising annual passes $100 for DVC is $400 for our family in the future (when kids get old enough). This won't be the last increase either and within the next 5 years we could be looking at another $100-$200 worth of increases.
True, but on the resale vs. direct fron the gap in AP cost between resale purchasers and direct purchasers just increased by $160 per AP per year. The savings on DVC direct discounted Gold AP's are a whopping $450 per AP now.

Just bought my kid’s AP through my work discount site (not sure if I can mention name). Still have AP’s discounted from old price. While I was at it I bought a park hopper for her friend at current price (through discount site). Glad I’m set for this year and next. That small direct DVC contract I’m thinking about buying is looking like a much better deal everyday!
Could you PM me that work site please?!

If you are still planning two 7 day trips with in the year of the AP even with the price increase are you not coming out better with the AP? I mean yes it sucks the price jumped that much at one time but if you break it down. Would you not come equal out and then you get the discount on items your purchase and some food?

Not only will they have less people in the parks, but they have people with more expendable income who are likely to spend more in parks and resorts. They know what they are doing.

The parks are constantly crowded. They can increase their prices quite a bit and lets face it - if less people come, it is a better experience for those guests (less long lines, etc). We don't have to like it, but as a business they know exactly what they are doing. They will know when they hit the price point where they are making maximum profit without turning away too many people (decreased profit). And yes, they will likely keep increasing until they hit that curve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter