AP Pricing Concerns

I am glad to know that I am not alone in my worries about what to do! I was going to post on the DVC thread but you all seem to have a pretty good grasp of what is going on. :)

My situation is that we are not able to renew our AP's until 60 days prior which puts us at October 17. I joined DVC this year so now can get the DVC gold and was hoping to renew to a DVC gold. It comes down to $95 ticket to renew versus just buying a DVC gold outright. I would just buy the vouchers directly and stop worrying about increases, but I have 5 to buy so that is almost $500! We go in October and then January which is why renewal made sense.

Any thoughts or insight of what you would do? I know we would like to think we would have a heads up when there will be an increase, but I remember last time the price was increased in October it was immediate and there didn't seem to be any rumblings ahead of time at all.

Thanks...

I would just call on the 15th. Depending on the CM they may allow you to go ahead and renew

When you are within the 60 day renewal window you should be able to call DVC Member Services and renew your APs as DVC Gold APs at the renewal price. You will have to call no matter what - you can’t get a renewal DVC Gold online.

Obviously we don’t know what will happen to APs on October 16, but I have fingers crossed that the changes to regular tickets are so massive that they’re going to wait to deal with APs later (and give you time to get your DVC Gold passes!). pixiedust:

Thanks for your response. That is a good point...hopefully the ticket changes will be such a mess that they won't want to deal with AP's too. Definitely fingers crossed!

This. They did this with the deluxe Aps at DLR. Added block out for most of June for Disneyland when Star Wars is supposed to open. It happened to purchased, but not activated passes. I was very close to being in that group.
So, the Deluxe APs in Disneyland did not originally have *any* black-out dates, and then they added black-out dates? Even for those who had already purchased vouchers? Or were there some black out dates for the deluxe APs, just usually other times of the year (like Christmas)?

So, the Deluxe APs in Disneyland did not originally have *any* black-out dates, and then they added black-out dates? Even for those who had already purchased vouchers? Or were there some black out dates for the deluxe APs, just usually other times of the year (like Christmas)?
No. The Deluxe Aps did have block out days. Those who were activated at the time of the change were fine, those purchased but not activated got the surprise of more blackout days. Basically blocked out of Disneyland when Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens from June 21-August 18, and can only enter Disney's California Adventure. The contract language allows for this as well as separate black out calendars for different parks. Everything below a Signature Plus at DLR has blockout days. Only Saturday's during the summer months used to be blocked for Deluxe, and maybe the 4th of July...and Christmas. That's a $729 pass before $75 for Maxpass, oh and no renewal discount. That makes the Platinum AP look like a bargain.

When you are within the 60 day renewal window you should be able to call DVC Member Services and renew your APs as DVC Gold APs at the renewal price. You will have to call no matter what - you can’t get a renewal DVC Gold online.

Obviously we don’t know what will happen to APs on October 16, but I have fingers crossed that the changes to regular tickets are so massive that they’re going to wait to deal with APs later (and give you time to get your DVC Gold passes!). pixiedust:
Good point, it's not typical for them to change the AP prices at the same time that they do tickets. APs usually get their price increase on a different cycle. So folks shouldn't get too hung up on the ticket price increase date

No. The Deluxe Aps did have block out days. Those who were activated at the time of the change were fine, those purchased but not activated got the surprise of more blackout days. Basically blocked out of Disneyland when Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens from June 21-August 18, and can only enter Disney's California Adventure. The contract language allows for this as well as separate black out calendars for different parks. Everything below a Signature Plus at DLR has blockout days. Only Saturday's during the summer months used to be blocked for Deluxe, and maybe the 4th of July...and Christmas. That's a $729 pass before $75 for Maxpass, oh and no renewal discount. That makes the Platinum AP look like a bargain.
Thanks for clarifying! And they also raised the prices too, right? For all APs? This was recent, right?

Thanks for clarifying! And they also raised the prices too, right? For all APs? This was recent, right?
The prices went up in February, but the blockout dates changed in June. I almost bought Deluxe vouchers before the increase, but since my trip wasn't until July I would've been stuck with all the blockouts or paid to upgrade to the next level.

OK, new option to add into the mix. I belong to AAA, so I went to their website to see if they offered discounts on the Fla Res AP. They sell new vouchers and renewal vouchers, which have to be redeemed no later than 30 days after expiration. So I assume you can buy them before your renewal window opens and then redeem it in person any time during the renewal window? Has anyone done this?

Good point, it's not typical for them to change the AP prices at the same time that they do tickets. APs usually get their price increase on a different cycle. So folks shouldn't get too hung up on the ticket price increase date

I was going to rush and buy an AP til I just read your post. My original plan was to buy one in Dec when I am down there. Then I saw the tickets changes and thought I should buy now to be safe. It sounds like maybe I should buy an UCT ticket now to upgrade in dec. Does that seem my most logical plan? My only concern is what if the bridging thing changes with the new system...

My head hurts. Someone please help....

So, I have 4 platinum vouchers (trip planned in Dec 2018 for activation)in my MDE account. I don't need to worry about "surprise" blackout dates, correct?

I need 1 more platinum pass. Was planning on buying UCT ticket (now) and upgrading on first day of Dec trip. Is that a risk of 1)price increase and/or 2)blackout dates and/or 3)any other difference between that pass and the rest of ours?

Thanks. I'm really struggling with planning this trip. Things just seem to be so much more confusing these days. Or maybe I'm just getting old. I've been on here alllllllllll day trying to read up on changes since our last trip and plan my FP wishlist since our 60 day mark is approaching. I just. cannot. get. it. done.

I was going to rush and buy an AP til I just read your post. My original plan was to buy one in Dec when I am down there. Then I saw the tickets changes and thought I should buy now to be safe. It sounds like maybe I should buy an UCT ticket now to upgrade in dec. Does that seem my most logical plan? My only concern is what if the bridging thing changes with the new system...

If I were you I would at minimum buy a ticket through UT now with plan to upgrade. They are going to have to allow you to upgrade existing tickets. Not allowing that would be a radical change. If you have the money though or need help with a minimum spend you could always just buy the AP Platinum voucher now and keep it without activating until December. Then you wouldn’t have to worry about possible changes.

My head hurts. Someone please help....

So, I have 4 platinum vouchers (trip planned in Dec 2018 for activation)in my MDE account. I don't need to worry about "surprise" blackout dates, correct?

I need 1 more platinum pass. Was planning on buying UCT ticket (now) and upgrading on first day of Dec trip. Is that a risk of 1)price increase and/or 2)blackout dates and/or 3)any other difference between that pass and the rest of ours?

Thanks. I'm really struggling with planning this trip. Things just seem to be so much more confusing these days. Or maybe I'm just getting old. I've been on here alllllllllll day trying to read up on changes since our last trip and plan my FP wishlist since our 60 day mark is approaching. I just. cannot. get. it. done.

I have some AP vouchers loaded into MDE. All it shows is the 2030 expiration date. I don’t see them after the fact adding black out dates. If I were you and could afford it I would just buy another voucher now. That way no worry about possible blackout date issues.

It is hard to know what to do! That’s why I posted too. Hard to make big decisions lacking information. I think that is Disney lately though.

If I were you I would at minimum buy a ticket through UT now with plan to upgrade. They are going to have to allow you to upgrade existing tickets. Not allowing that would be a radical change. If you have the money though or need help with a minimum spend you could always just buy the AP Platinum voucher now and keep it without activating until December. Then you wouldn’t have to worry about possible changes.
Thx! I do have an MSR to work on. Maybe I will just go ahead and buy from AAA.

We have 2 Gold's and a Silver, kiddo and I do enjoy summer visits but bracing myself for changes. We can renew 10/24 and we have decided to go ahead and renew at the 60 mark. Hoping for minimal changes, crossing fingers for sure!

This is the stuff that makes me insane about Disney. We have unactivated Weekday Select passes that we plan to use over Thanksgiving. If those dates are added to the blackout list, our passes are useless as this is the only Disney trip we have planned this year.

This is the stuff that makes me insane about Disney. We have unactivated Weekday Select passes that we plan to use over Thanksgiving. If those dates are added to the blackout list, our passes are useless as this is the only Disney trip we have planned this year.

I don't know why people are assuming they will add blackout dates to previously purchased APs that don't have them. I'm not saying they won't and I know it's natural for people to get worried and speculate. I just don't think you need to worry about anything happening this year to your AP.

I don't know why people are assuming they will add blackout dates to previously purchased APs that don't have them. I'm not saying they won't and I know it's natural for people to get worried and speculate. I just don't think you need to worry about anything happening this year to your AP.

That is what they did at Disneyland. Non-activated APs, which is what ours are, had additional blackout dates added. Given Disney's propensity to not think through everything, this worries me.

ETA - I am not worried about the APs that have already been activated.

That is what they did at Disneyland. Non-activated APs, which is what ours are, had additional blackout dates added. Given Disney's propensity to not think through everything, this worries me.

I really think you're fine for this year. Maybe they will prove me wrong and I hope not.

I'm buying 3 platinum AP vouchers before the end of this year and if they added blackout dates before I can activate I would be raising holy hell. I don't usually complain, but I would in that case.

PP was talking about a pass that DOES have blackout dates. They could well change the blackout dates on a pass that already has them. Otherwise you are correct, they aren't going to put blackout dates on a pass that has none.

If I had an AP with blackout dates now I would fret some about what changes they'll make to them. And I don't worry about much

PP was talking about a pass that DOES have blackout dates. They could well change the blackout dates on a pass that already has them. Otherwise you are correct, they aren't going to put blackout dates on a pass that has none.

If I had an AP with blackout dates now I would fret some about what changes they'll make to them. And I don't worry about much

Oh I know and I understood their concerns. I just don't think they need to worry about this year.

ETA - I am not worried about the APs that have already been activated.
I really think you're fine for this year. Maybe they will prove me wrong and I hope not.

I'm buying 3 platinum AP vouchers before the end of this year and if they added blackout dates before I can activate I would be raising holy hell. I don't usually complain, but I would in that case.
Again, note these were AP with some blackout dates already. Not an AP with no blackout dates at all, suddenly given some. The language is not in place on the Platinum passes for Disney to suddenly add blackout dates. Those that have them do have notes that they can change

Oh I know and I understood their concerns. I just don't think they need to worry about this year.
This is likely the only year I would worry about it, because of SWGE. If they're going to change it, this is when they'd do it, not after it opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter