AP upgrade experience starting with UT 2+2 expiring tickets

biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
I read mixed accounts about upgrading these tickets and hopefully my experience will help someone else plan. On Sunday, March 26, I went to GS at IOA. The staff person scanned my ticket (already used that morning for entry) and said it would be $45 to get a seasonal pass. I verified there was no other way to input the ticket to get it valued as worth 4 full days. She unfolded the page to see more than the barcode and said, "Oh, these won't come up as worth more because of the promo." This is more than I hoped to pay because it does not value the tickets as a 4 day park to park. However, we needed APs for our hotel discount and a second trip in the fall.

Thank you for this. I just got off the phone with a TM at Universal. I purchased an seasonal AP for my son for $284.99 and a 2+2 ticket for his girlfriend for $254.99. So if she wants to switch hers to a seasonal AP it will cost her more than if I had just purchased a seasonal AP for her? That's why I am trying to do all of this stuff for him because it makes my head spin trying to figure it all out. I asked if he could pick up the AP and the 2+2 ticket at the PBH hotel and was told no that he would have to go to one of the parks and pick them up at the ticket windows. Is this right? It will be next week and I'm sure the spring break crowds will be really long, I was hoping to keep him out of at least one long line. When my husband and I went in Dec. we picked up our tickets at the kiosks in front of the parks (I had pre ordered them) and then exchanged them at the hotel desk the next day for the seasonal AP. This only cost me $10.65, but I can't remember now what the special was on the tickets that we bought but they were only 3 day tickets.

Thank you for all the help on this board. It makes life so much easier:)

I would have tried a different GS just to make sure as you seem to get different results depending on who you deal with, just like at WDW.

Also, UT seems to have a slew of different tickets that get valued differently.

Thank you for this. I just got off the phone with a TM at Universal. I purchased an seasonal AP for my son for $284.99 and a 2+2 ticket for his girlfriend for $254.99. So if she wants to switch hers to a seasonal AP it will cost her more than if I had just purchased a seasonal AP for her? That's why I am trying to do all of this stuff for him because it makes my head spin trying to figure it all out. I asked if he could pick up the AP and the 2+2 ticket at the PBH hotel and was told no that he would have to go to one of the parks and pick them up at the ticket windows. Is this right? It will be next week and I'm sure the spring break crowds will be really long, I was hoping to keep him out of at least one long line. When my husband and I went in Dec. we picked up our tickets at the kiosks in front of the parks (I had pre ordered them) and then exchanged them at the hotel desk the next day for the seasonal AP. This only cost me $10.65, but I can't remember now what the special was on the tickets that we bought but they were only 3 day tickets.

Thank you for all the help on this board. It makes life so much easier:)

He can pick up his AP at the ticket counter at PBH according to recent reports.

No reason you can't pick up both tickets and AP at the ticket desk at PBH.
Thank you. I asked a couple of times but who I spoke with insisted that they would have to go to the ticket window at the parks. I will come back here the end of next week and let you know what happened.

Trying to figure out how they got that $45 number. Even if the ticket bridged at only a two day value that's 291.57 including tax. And a seasonal AP is 303.52 including tax. So the difference is only $11.95. Even if they based it off the buy ahead value which takes away $20, bringing the bridging price down to $271.45, the difference is $32.07. Sounds like you got a raw deal OP. Hoping to have better luck in a few weeks.

Trying to figure out how they got that $45 number. Even if the ticket bridged at only a two day value that's 291.57 including tax. And a seasonal AP is 303.52 including tax. So the difference is only $11.95. Even if they based it off the buy ahead value which takes away $20, bringing the bridging price down to $271.45, the difference is $32.07. Sounds like you got a raw deal OP. Hoping to have better luck in a few weeks.

Exactly. You've really got to stand your ground when you know the costs. Go to different GS and then state your case. What price was paid for the ticket?

Last edited:
If I have this right I just paid $271.57 for the 2+2 ticket and $303.52 for the seasonal AP those prices included tax, my total was $575.09. So if I will be charged another $45 to upgrade(and I saw someone else say they were charged $50 for the upgrade) aren't they over charging me? I think I will give a call to Universal and see what they tell me. My son and his girlfriend are not the type to argue the case and will just pay whatever they are told so that's why I'm trying to get a set in stone answer before they leave so that the will know what to expect.

Ok just got off the phone and was told that they would just charge her the difference between what we actually paid for the ticket and the cost of the seasonal AP. I gave her the figures that we paid and she told me that we would be charged $31.95 for the upgrade. Not sure if that helps or makes it more confusing and no guarantee that is what she will be told at the desk if she goes to exchange the ticket but I tried.

If I have this right I just paid $271.57 for the 2+2 ticket and $303.52 for the seasonal AP those prices included tax, my total was $575.09. So if I will be charged another $45 to upgrade(and I saw someone else say they were charged $50 for the upgrade) aren't they over charging me? I think I will give a call to Universal and see what they tell me. My son and his girlfriend are not the type to argue the case and will just pay whatever they are told so that's why I'm trying to get a set in stone answer before they leave so that the will know what to expect.

Ok just got off the phone and was told that they would just charge her the difference between what we actually paid for the ticket and the cost of the seasonal AP. I gave her the figures that we paid and she told me that we would be charged $31.95 for the upgrade. Not sure if that helps or makes it more confusing and no guarantee that is what she will be told at the desk if she goes to exchange the ticket but I tried.

Sounds like that expiring ticket is getting different treatment. Normally what they do is credit you gate price of a ticket. I think this promo ticket was an online ticket only, so there is no gate price for it. Thus they are crediting everyone their purchase price.

I traded in our UT tickets for AP's on Tuesday, March 21st. Ours were 2+2 purchased on BF from UT (expires 5/31)- however, they only stated 4 day P2P, not 2+2 on the tickets themselves. I'm not sure why some say 2+2 and others are simply 4 day tickets (they were print at home tickets). We presented them at IOA CS, the CS scanned them and said that we would get $20 back per adult ticket and $10 per child ticket if we traded them for seasonal passes. That is what we ended up doing.

OK, heading down there soon. I have my own AP. I purchased 2+2 from UT for DH. So....should we ENTER the park first and then go to Customer Service, or do this at the Kiosk outside the park???

I traded in our UT tickets for AP's on Tuesday, March 21st. Ours were 2+2 purchased on BF from UT (expires 5/31)- however, they only stated 4 day P2P, not 2+2 on the tickets themselves. I'm not sure why some say 2+2 and others are simply 4 day tickets (they were print at home tickets). We presented them at IOA CS, the CS scanned them and said that we would get $20 back per adult ticket and $10 per child ticket if we traded them for seasonal passes. That is what we ended up doing.
If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for that ticket?

Yeah, I have heard so many different stories, I don't know what to expect.

Normal price/tax on 4 adult Seasonal Passes is $1214. I paid $948 total for the 2+2 promo tickets...that's a $266 difference (or $66.50 each). Anything up to that I am happy to pay...happier if it is less. I think the worst I have seen is $50, which still saves me $66...I am okay with that.

OK, heading down there soon. I have my own AP. I purchased 2+2 from UT for DH. So....should we ENTER the park first and then go to Customer Service, or do this at the Kiosk outside the park???

Use it first. If you don't get a good price, try a different GS.

Sounds like that expiring ticket is getting different treatment. Normally what they do is credit you gate price of a ticket. I think this promo ticket was an online ticket only, so there is no gate price for it. Thus they are crediting everyone their purchase price.

Makes sense. Not sure how one can really argue it as they, nor disney, are obligated to bridge the price of any tickets bought thru a 3rd party other than what was actually paid. :confused3 It's certainly nice when it does happen though:) but with the new expiry system rolling out, may become a thing of the past.

I'm surprised the seasonal pass still is entitled for onsite hotel discounts. Seems as though the parks are tightening their belts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter