• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AP voucher??

Disneyfn420

DIS Veteran
I purchased an AP through the website and got my DVC discount. It linked to MDE and I was able to make my FP ressies. I haven't received anything from Disney in the mail though. Aren't I supposed to receive a voucher or something? Will I receive a passholder card in the mail that needs to be activated? I'm mainly concerned as I want to make sure I can get my AP discounts for the restaurants when I'm in Disney. I tried searching and thought I read that Disney cannot provide cards down there, you need the card ahead of time, but maybe that was the old way of handling. I'm just trying to find out the exact process. Thanks!

Unless you selected one of the standard mailing options, you will not receive anything in the mail from Disney. The exchange certificate (aka voucher) that would be mailed has to be surrendered when you go to activate the pass.

Once you arrive at WDW, stop at any Guest Relations Location or Park Ticket Window where you can activate your pass(es). At that time, the CM should issue you a RFID Passholder Card which you can use for any discounts.

Also ask for your discount card. It is the only way to get your 20% discount on the AP perks. And you will need a photo ID and your member card.

Also ask for your discount card. It is the only way to get your 20% discount on the AP perks. And you will need a photo ID and your member card.

Unless you are a DVC member and there is something different for them, there is only one card for AP holders, there is not a separate member card and discount card. You will need to show the card and an ID anywhere you want to get the discount 99% of the time. I just go to the ticket window with the shortest line to get mine. You should get an email from Disney after you get back from your trip to customize your MBs. They are the same band you get if you are staying on site, they just send a little passholder slider with them (be careful and look carefully in your box, sometimes it's hard to find).

Unless you are a DVC member and there is something different for them, there is only one card for AP holders, there is not a separate member card and discount card. You will need to show the card and an ID anywhere you want to get the discount 99% of the time. I just go to the ticket window with the shortest line to get mine. You should get an email from Disney after you get back from your trip to customize your MBs. They are the same band you get if you are staying on site, they just send a little passholder slider with them (be careful and look carefully in your box, sometimes it's hard to find).

If you want the DVC discount as you indicated, you WILL need your DVC member card and photo ID. The AP also comes with a discount card that you use to get those discounts that apply to the AP. You WILL be asked to show the AP card AND your photo ID to get the discount.

If you want the DVC discount as you indicated, you WILL need your DVC member card and photo ID. The AP also comes with a discount card that you use to get those discounts that apply to the AP. You WILL be asked to show the AP card AND your photo ID to get the discount.
I could be wrong, but I thought you only needed the discount card if you only had a magic band. If you have the regular AP card, you are good to go.
As far as discounts are concerned I thought the OP was asking about AP discounts, not DVC discounts.

MG

I could be wrong, but I thought you only needed the discount card if you only had a magic band. If you have the regular AP card, you are good to go.
As far as discounts are concerned I thought the OP was asking about AP discounts, not DVC discounts.

MG

The AP discount card and the "regular" AP card are now one and the same. No need to carry around two cards! But you do need to show the AP card and ID to get AP discounts, just as you must show DVC Member card and ID to get DVC discounts. The MB is not sufficient for discounts.

The AP discount card and the "regular" AP card are now one and the same. No need to carry around two cards! But you do need to show the AP card and ID to get AP discounts, just as you must show DVC Member card and ID to get DVC discounts. The MB is not sufficient for discounts.
Thanks... that's what I thought as well.

MG

Disneyfn420, you do not need any voucher or other piece of paper. Your unactivated AP is now shown in your MDE account and will be shown via your Magic Band. When you arrive, you go to any ticket booth or Guest Services at the parks, show your DVC card, show ID cards for all adults getting them, and they activate your AP. They also give you the hard AP card at that time. There has never been an AP discount card separate from the AP. The card they give you now when you activate is an AP and that is what they gave everyone in the past. The color and make-up of the AP card changed to what it is now when they started the use of magic bands (before then, the AP itself was not a hard card but some kind of wound paper). You can use either the Magic Band or the card to enter parks. You need to show the card to get any discounts.

There has never been an AP discount card separate from the AP.
There was when MagicBands first became available to Passholders. They stopped issuing them when the pass levels changed back in Oct 2015.

Passholder-discount-card-at-disney.jpg

There was also a black discount card issued to those with one of the FL Resident passes that didn't include parking.

There was when MagicBands first became available to Passholders. They stopped issuing them when the pass levels changed back in Oct 2015..
We had the card for our last AP, expired early Nov 2016, We have renewals for them, does that mean that the magic band will work for the discount now, w/o having the card? I assume we still need our photo ID. Thanks.

We had the card for our last AP, expired early Nov 2016, We have renewals for them, does that mean that the magic band will work for the discount now, w/o having the card? I assume we still need our photo ID. Thanks.
A MagicBand can't be used for proof of discount.

While Disney no longer mails out the separate AP discount card, Guest Relations and/or Park Tickets Windows can issue an RFID AP Card which can be used for proof of discount and since it's RFID and linked to your MDE Profile it can be used for park entry, FP+ queue return, etc.

Hey everybody,
I just purchased 7 annual passes for a couple trips in 2017 (not sure of the dates yet). I got these as Christmas gifts for the family, and I was under the impression that I would be getting exchange certificates for these so I could have something to wrap up for them to open as gifts. But none of the confirmation emails said anything about that. Also, will I be getting magic bands in the mail? Are they free with these passes? Thx for any help!

Hey everybody,
I just purchased 7 annual passes for a couple trips in 2017 (not sure of the dates yet). I got these as Christmas gifts for the family, and I was under the impression that I would be getting exchange certificates for these so I could have something to wrap up for them to open as gifts. But none of the confirmation emails said anything about that. Also, will I be getting magic bands in the mail? Are they free with these passes? Thx for any help!
If you purchased on-line and selected will call (or email confirmation), you will not receive anything in the mail. If you ordered by phone, they typically default to will call also.

As for MagicBands, once the passes have been activated at WDW, an open MagicBand order will appear in MDE.

If you purchased on-line and selected will call (or email confirmation), you will not receive anything in the mail. If you ordered by phone, they typically default to will call also.

As for MagicBands, once the passes have been activated at WDW, an open MagicBand order will appear in MDE.
Thanks for the great info.
I just spoke to support and they said the same, that once they are used, then I could get magic bands shipped to me. But if im already in the parks on vacation, that doesnt really work obviously. Is there any way to get my free magic bands before my trip? It just seems so strange that they couldnt take a refundable deposit on them or something in case I refund the annual passes. it seems I will now have to pay $12 X 8=$96 for magic bands before our trip. Is there any way around that?

Thanks for the great info.
I just spoke to support and they said the same, that once they are used, then I could get magic bands shipped to me. But if im already in the parks on vacation, that doesnt really work obviously. Is there any way to get my free magic bands before my trip? It just seems so strange that they couldnt take a refundable deposit on them or something in case I refund the annual passes. it seems I will now have to pay $12 X 8=$96 for magic bands before our trip. Is there any way around that?

Are you staying at a WDW resort? You'll get free bands before you go. I would wait because they are coming out with a new design soon (this month or next).

Are you staying at a WDW resort? You'll get free bands before you go. I would wait because they are coming out with a new design soon (this month or next).
No, this is our first time not staying at a resort. We would need 2 rooms and the cost is just too much. If we were, then this wouldnt be an issue, as we would get magic bands ahead of time because of the resort. So I think I will have to purchase them online ahead of time from the Disney store. I dont see any other way. I think my situation is something Disney should think about a bit more. It feels like a bait and switch, although I know it isnt, I think Disney just perhaps needs to do something better for situations like mine. If they say you get magicbands included with your passes, then I think most people would assume you can have them for your vacation. In my case I will have to buy them, sort of stinks. I think they could have me pay for them and then refund the cost when I activate my passes. That would be a great way to go for them.

No, this is our first time not staying at a resort. We would need 2 rooms and the cost is just too much. If we were, then this wouldnt be an issue, as we would get magic bands ahead of time because of the resort. So I think I will have to purchase them online ahead of time from the Disney store. I dont see any other way. I think my situation is something Disney should think about a bit more. It feels like a bait and switch, although I know it isnt, I think Disney just perhaps needs to do something better for situations like mine. If they say you get magicbands included with your passes, then I think most people would assume you can have them for your vacation. In my case I will have to buy them, sort of stinks. I think they could have me pay for them and then refund the cost when I activate my passes. That would be a great way to go for them.

If you wait until you get there, you should be able to get the 20% AP merchandise discount. If you have any from a prior trip, they can be reused.

Also for free parking @ the parks - We stay offsite now & again, the card is handy when we don't want to wear our MB (vs being stashed away for FP usage later).

You don't have to buy Magic Bands. You can use the actual AP CARD they will give you for park entry and parking as well as the discounts.

Also as someone else stated, you can reuse your older magic bands from a prior visit. Just bring them with you when you are picking up your cards and they can make sure they are active.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter