App changed my booking without confirmation

CindyandBrice

DIS Veteran
I currently had 4A booking w/specific room. I saw today 4A GTY listed. It clearly says you will be able to review your charges before confirmation. I wanted to see what it could save me. Before I knew it I was kicked out of app, did not review or confirm any change and now it shows GTY. I Cannot get back in to change anything. So, my question is has anyone with 4A GTY ever been upgraded to concierge?

I don't believe that anyone gets a complimentary upgrade to concierge. Any concierge staterooms that are left on the day of sailing would be available for upgrades at a discounted rate. I would check the forum "Guarantee Status vs. IGT/OGT/VGT" for more information about what people with GTYs have gotten.

I would call ASAP and explain what happened and try to get your cabin back. GTY options usually come with a discount so if you're not getting the discount, you should at least get cabin choice.

GTY options usually come with a discount
That is incorrect. A "4A GTY" such as the OP mentions is often the highest price for a stateroom. It is offered once x% of staterooms in that category are sold and prices increase as more staterooms get booked. It is a regular fare but you agree to allow DCL to assign a stateroom in that category or higher. Don't confuse it with a VGT/OGT/IGT which is a discounted restricted fare.

OP - so sorry the app glitched at just the wrong moment! I'd be calling quickly to get your stateroom back. It is highly unlikely that a 4A GTY will be upgraded to Concierge. Most GTY bookings are assigned exactly the category booked.

Thanks. I was more interested in seeing the discount that would be for the GTY rate ($10-20) as I was aware this was not a deeply discounted restricted rate. I have had those restricted rates before and always had been pleased with room. Thanks everyone. I did see one post in early 2020 where a 4A was upgraded to concierge however the actual sailing was for April 2020 and never happened.

I was more interested in seeing the discount that would be for the GTY rate ($10-20) as I was aware this was not a deeply discounted restricted rate.
Again, there is no discount on GTY rates with a specific category number/letter. Once a certain percentage of staterooms in that category are booked, DCL removes the option to choose a stateroom in that category and it becomes "GTY" meaning DCL will assign a stateroom of that category or higher. And because cruise pricing is tiered with the lowest rates offered first and often increasing as more staterooms are booked, the GTY is often the highest priced offering for that category. Not discounted, not even a small or minimal discount.

the term discounted rate must not register with you. There is a rate set for when you select your specific room there is a rate for that same cat as a GTY which is a slightly lower rate and can be considered a discount from the price paid for the same cat when picking a room. Typically the difference is $10-30 less than the first. To me this is a discount. To others this is a discount. To you it seems you are not saying it is. I think a savings of $10-30 from where I am is a discount We all recognize it is not a restricted rate. We are not talking at all about restricted rates.

Discounted in terms of where we were is key. I can reference it a savings or discount. In live time (since any prior price has zero bearing in live time) When a room specific rate of 1800 can become 1780 as a GTY. Then it is a discount. A percent off to allow Disney to put me where it is best for them. I had a room at 4A and knew the price. If I allow Disney to place me, usually it is done with a rate slightly less. There are times you can do either. The option does not always remove itself for selecting a specific room when GTY became an option. Yes the price 5 months ago may have been lower but that has zero weight if reservation not made then.

Last edited:
That is incorrect. A "4A GTY" such as the OP mentions is often the highest price for a stateroom. It is offered once x% of staterooms in that category are sold and prices increase as more staterooms get booked. It is a regular fare but you agree to allow DCL to assign a stateroom in that category or higher. Don't confuse it with a VGT/OGT/IGT which is a discounted restricted fare.

OP - so sorry the app glitched at just the wrong moment! I'd be calling quickly to get your stateroom back. It is highly unlikely that a 4A GTY will be upgraded to Concierge. Most GTY bookings are assigned exactly the category booked.
I'm not confused. I've booked all 3 ways many times and typically the most expensive way is to be able to choose your own cabin. There is a very small discount to allow DCL to place you within your chosen category. I've never seen a GTY rate that is priced higher than being able to choose a cabin within that category.
VGT/OGT/IGT offers the highest discount but it is very restrictive and you don't get to choose a category at all.

Again, there is no discount on GTY rates with a specific category number/letter. Once a certain percentage of staterooms in that category are booked, DCL removes the option to choose a stateroom in that category and it becomes "GTY" meaning DCL will assign a stateroom of that category or higher. And because cruise pricing is tiered with the lowest rates offered first and often increasing as more staterooms are booked, the GTY is often the highest priced offering for that category. Not discounted, not even a small or minimal discount.
Currently, our September cruise is offering both GTY and for more money, one can choose a specific cabin within that category. I will see if I can post a screenshot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter