Apple 2 watch for running...

disney minnie

DIS Veteran
I have the Garmin 620 and would like to get an Apple Watch that would work for running and a daily watch. Anyone that has an apple 2... how is it working? Does it compare to the garmin? Is it a worthwhile change or should I wait for the third version?

I have the first version and it works great for running anything under 13 miles. It just doesn't hold a charge much past that. Mine died today during the marathon. I'm not sure how the series 2 compares with battery life. As an everyday watch I love it.

I haven't had any issues with version 1 dying on me. Works well, been up to 4:30 without an issue. Cold weather could be a factor for battery life.

I haven't had any issues with version 1 dying on me. Works well, been up to 4:30 without an issue. Cold weather could be a factor for battery life.
Might have been. I've run 17 miles with it on at home and it didn't die but yesterday during the full it died at 13.

I have the Garmin 620 and would like to get an Apple Watch that would work for running and a daily watch. Anyone that has an apple 2... how is it working? Does it compare to the garmin? Is it a worthwhile change or should I wait for the third version?
I have the apple watch 2 ...I am not a distance runner though. It works fine for me for my short runs. I DON'T like it for indoor treadmill runs though-not as accurate as an outdoor run by a lot actually. My favorite thing about it is that it records my swims easily and neatly. I am a big swimmer and I love it for the waterproofness. Battery lasts about a day and a half without needing a charge. Like the bells and whistles too and how it integrates with my phone.

I have the series 2. the most ive ran with it so far is 8 miles, about an hour & 15 minutes of running and haven't had any battery issues. i could definitely do a 1/2 with it, a full would be pushing the watch to the fullest. i have read that if you take off the heart monitor during workouts it will lighten the load the battery so that is an option if you are looking at marathons. beside that i love the watch, really comfortable on runs, love that i have all my calls/texts/notifications with me everywhere so i dont miss anything. the battery lasts 2 days easily if im not working out and about a day and a half to days with a workout (once again depends on how long that is for you). the only thing i miss from having my phone with me is more music options and the ability to call someone just incase (it calms my nerves).

I would definitely recommend it if you are willing to spend $400 on a watch/activity tracker.

I have the 2 but honestly it will never replace my garmin. The big reason is the garmin just takes more a beating. I used my watch in the pool for the first time over the holidays and the face is all scratched up. The casing has also gotten scratched up just in normal day to day use. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I ended up putting a screen protector and clear bumper case on it but I don't know how well the screen protector will hold up in water. I took a nasty fall at the inaugural Avengers Half and my watch didn't scratch at all even though I know that thing hit and dragged across the pavement. I don't think my watch 2 would have faced the pavement as well. With all of that said I do love my watch 2 and thing for the ease of using it day to day and seamlessly transitioning to work out or also counting my other exercises through the heart rate monitor I find it more useful for my overall health goals then the Garmin.

I have the 2, but it is hit and miss for me. At mile 2 of the Wine and Dine half the screen froze, which meant whilst it recorded the entire run, I was unable to do things like check my pace or distance. It has done this several times since (It was almost brand new at W&D). I'm happy to use it for training runs, but have gone back to my Garmin for races because I don't want to risk it again failing on me and throwing off my race plan.

I have used series 2 for a handful of runs. I try not to check pace, distance, etc., so I can't speak to that. I used it for the full with no battery issues. The longer runs do start to skew from my garmin 405. 5k and 10k tracking were less than .1 difference. Full on the garmin - 26.62, apple nike+ - 26.89, so although there wasn't a big difference, who knows how accurate it was. No major diversions on the course. For the virtual half, more variation (% wise) cause I stopped at the international gateway bathroom 13.16 v 13.48. I'll continue to run with both for a while - apple watch simplicity and garmin accuracy/rugged.

I have the series 2 and the battery life on it is great. Did a 10K with it this morning and I think it still had 90% battery left at the end of it. I did have my phone with me so the GPS would have been running off the phone rather than the watch (so less of a battery drain on the watch). In regular use, my series 2 battery can last 2 full days if necessary.

(So far no complains with the Apple Watch, but I'm a slow casual runner and timings/etc don't matter as much to me...)

I have a series 1 and have never had an issue with battery life in my halves. I have never ran out and still had plenty left at the end. I can't speak to a full and as of right now I have no plans on ever running another again in my life. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter