Apple AirTag used to track Teen at WDW.

PBB

Mouseketeer
I saw this disturbing article this morning where a Teen was tracked in the Magic Kingdom using an Apple Tag. It appears someone dropped it in the Teens bag. Fortunately, she was notified that the Air,Tag was tracking her, although, the notification appeared several hours after it started to track her. Thankfully, she had an IPhone. What if she had a Android phone or no phone at all. She would have been ignorant Of it. Very Creepy!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...wn-Apple-AirTag-used-track-teen-daughter.html

Woah. At first I was thinkiing it was clever for parents, but reading that it was a stranger? That's bad. How did she even get an alert about another person's air tag? Her own phone? What if you have an Android phone?

From 9to5mac.com
Apple has recently made changes to tackle AirTag stalking concerns; there’s now a privacy warning that pops up when you set up a new AirTag. The message states that the device is meant to track belongings and not for stalking purposes. It also notes that your AirTag links to your Apple ID and law enforcement can request this information.

Apple also updated the notification system for identifying unknown Find My devices. This is what the Gaston family received when they got the “AirTag Found Moving With You” notification. There’s also new alerts for Android users who find an unknown AirTag among them.

9to5Mac’s Take​

While definitely a scary situation for the family, it seems likely the notification was an error. The Gastons couldn’t find an AirTag among them and were in close quarters with many people that day. With the OSCO not finding anything either, it feels probable that this could have been a mistake on Apple’s part. It seems like we may have to wait a bit longer for Apple to perfect its unknown device alerts.

From AppleInsider:

If an AirTag is found, it can be handed to police, who can then use the serial number to track down its owner. However, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said the responding deputy did not identify a criminal violation since the physical tag wasn't found.
Even so, investigators did take an incident report, and say they are aware of the situation.
Though it is plausible that the AirTag fell and went missing in the car park, OSCO offers the possibility it was a mistaken identification. It is proposed that the sheer number of Apple devices in the park, along with AirTags, could've produced an "erroneous" detection.

Woah. At first I was thinkiing it was clever for parents, but reading that it was a stranger? That's bad. How did she even get an alert about another person's air tag? Her own phone? What if you have an Android phone?

Apple has created an Android app that detects an AirTag.

I read the same info/article on a different publication.. it stated that the sheriffs office was notified and that they never actually found an airtag. Not in bags, backpacks or slipped into pockets all which were emptied and searched… The article suggested that it was an erroneous notification that should have been sent to a different iphone. Also that without the actual tag and the serial number on it the device tracking the tag can’t be identified.

I read the same info/article on a different publication.. it stated that the sheriffs office was notified and that they never actually found an airtag. Not in bags, backpacks or slipped into pockets all which were emptied and searched… The article suggested that it was an erroneous notification that should have been sent to a different iphone. Also that without the actual tag and the serial number on it the device tracking the tag can’t be identified.

I went and found two articles that say that the AirTag might have just been near them for an extended time (like in line) and not on them. I know how a phone could pick up a another AirTag, but did the tracking map match the route the the family took?

It was based on a TV interview from the girl's home state. The interview is in the story.

The story was on GMA this morning and they said they dumped everything out in the parking lot before they left and that when they got back to where they were staying it was still showing it was in the parking lot.

This however, is a known issue to happen, someone slipping in an air tag to your bag at a bar etc. I imagine like a lot of things, it gets talked about more than it happens but it's still good to be aware of your surroundings and your stuff.

I went and found two articles that say that the AirTag might have just been near them for an extended time (like in line) and not on them. I know how a phone could pick up a another AirTag, but did the tracking map match the route the the family took?
This was my thought also... especially since the family never found any tag. And after they left the parking lot, they say that the notices showed the tag as remaining on Disney property (not in their car). I suspect, since they received notice while at the monorail, they likely had a tag in close proximity that was being carried by another WDW guest who happened to ride in the same monorail and walked out to the same section of the TTC parking lot. It is not beyond imagination that they may have been in close proximity numerous times while inside of the park during the previous few hours as well.

Anyway, it is good to be aware of the potential for being stalked, air-tag or not.

this was just a Disney hit piece ..... their kid could have easily just picked up a shiny device and threw it in a bag.

First off, this isn't new technology. These devices have been around for years. They can also slip these things in your bags literally anywhere...not just Disney. They can do it at the airport, even on the plane.

But your common every day criminals aren't using these. If some creep wants to stalk you at Disney world, 99% of them are going to do it physically, not use fancy technology. They will simply follow you until you are alone.

Im confused how does your phone pick up a tag that isnt registered to your phone?

Also its clearly chepek. Hes using them to see when families are getting ready to leave........"BING" magic genie has a offer 10% off your next LL incoming.

Im confused how does your phone pick up a tag that isnt registered to your phone?

Also its clearly chepek. Hes using them to see when families are getting ready to leave........"BING" magic genie has a offer 10% off your next LL incoming.
Because of the possibility you might be tracked by an AirTag not associated with your account, Apple added a feature to notify you if they notice such a device following you. They could easily do that since they already use all the Apple devices around to help track AirTags passively. It’s not simply your phone that is tracking your own device.

To me, this story seems like a false positive. It’s quite possible that two groups followed each other for a while - we’ve often seen the same people in two different lines for example - and if they are close enough, it could trigger the warning. Then the person that received the message took it at face value.

Because of the possibility you might be tracked by an AirTag not associated with your account, Apple added a feature to notify you if they notice such a device following you. They could easily do that since they already use all the Apple devices around to help track AirTags passively. It’s not simply your phone that is tracking your own device.

To me, this story seems like a false positive. It’s quite possible that two groups followed each other for a while - we’ve often seen the same people in two different lines for example - and if they are close enough, it could trigger the warning. Then the person that received the message took it at face value.

I agree on a false positive! They are not perfect by any means.

I have a few air-tags myself, and I've gotten false positives on MY OWN TAGS that are registered to me!

Just read an article in the Washington Post. There is evidently a glitch notifying people they are being tracked when that is not the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter