Apple Pay

Dude, do you live in 1995? Where are you regularly signing credit card sales slips for purchases, besides some sit down restaurants?

Every single business I shop at has tap to pay terminals that process a payment in less than 2 seconds. It is FAR faster than using cash.
No idea why. I'm not signing anything since I pay cash.

EDIT: That is an interesting question. My chain grocery store used to require a signature only if your charge was $50 or more. The first of the month they went with new terminals that now allow you to tap and signatures are now required with all purchases. The staff in the store has no idea why. They just can't complete the transaction without your signature.
And during the pandemic Schwans went cashless with no signature required. Now they will take cash or check again and if you charge, you have to sign.

Last edited:
No place I shop has ever refused to take my cash...............LOL. Don't see any reason to change. Apple just wants to get into the lucrative credit card fee business. Nothing wrong with that, but the way I currently use cash or credit cards isn't going to change for me. Have an android phone and don't think it is good idea to have one-stop shopping on your phone when you carry it around in public.
A few restaurants in my area are cashless. I actually went to a Korean BBQ place the other day that was card only.

I don't own anything Apple so obviously no Apple Pay for me. I don't care to use Google Pay either. Using a card is easy enough.

They are still killing it with their business.

The average sole proprietorship grosses less than $50,000 a year.
How do they live if they gross less than $50,000? Or do you mean net? Gross would be before expenses. Net is after.
The burger guy charges $11.29 for his least expensive burger. $50,000 of burgers would be 4,400 burgers, or an average 14 burgers a day for the 6 days a week he is open. I bet he does 14 an hour on a SLOW day.

How do they live if they gross less than $50,000? Or do you mean net? Gross would be before expenses. Net is after.
The burger guy charges $11.29 for his least expensive burger. $50,000 of burgers would be 4,400 burgers, or an average 14 burgers a day for the 6 days a week he is open. I bet he does 14 an hour on a SLOW day.
I would guess aggregated statistics that includes all sole props and not just those that make their living on it. I have a full time day job and a sole prop side hustle that grosses me about $10,000. I also have very little in the way of fixed operation costs.

Gross.

Most sole proprietorships don't make much money at all.

Your cheese shop and burger guy are killing it in the top 1%.

Gross.

Most sole proprietorships don't make much money at all.

Your cheese shop and burger guy are killing it in the top 1%.
LOL. There is a regular at the recycling center my wife goes to that brings in $50,000 a year working part time picking up cans.

I would guess aggregated statistics that includes all sole props and not just those that make their living on it. I have a full time day job and a sole prop side hustle that grosses me about $10,000. I also have very little in the way of fixed operation costs.
Be careful. I know more than one person whose side hustle became their full time job.

First loose change went. Then paper money went. Now credit cards are going, in favour of Apple Pay et al, all your accounts stored on your phone securely to be scanned like any other card. Who else doesn't bother to carry more than one emergency card around with them in favour of an iPhone or whatever?

I transitioned to Apple Pay in almost 99% of my transactions. Once I started using it, I never looked back. I *do* carry one credit card with me if I'm going to a store that might not support Apple Pay. Both Home Depot and Menards do not so I have to take a regular credit card when I go there. Also, I can't use Apple Pay to qualify for pumping gas at Costco, but I can pay for it using Apple Pay. I still can't figure that one out. I use the Costco app at Costco now, at the door and at checkout. I can't use the app at the pump either.

I transitioned to Apple Pay in almost 99% of my transactions. Once I started using it, I never looked back. I *do* carry one credit card with me if I'm going to a store that might not support Apple Pay. Both Home Depot and Menards do not so I have to take a regular credit card when I go there. Also, I can't use Apple Pay to qualify for pumping gas at Costco, but I can pay for it using Apple Pay. I still can't figure that one out. I use the Costco app at Costco now, at the door and at checkout. I can't use the app at the pump either.
FYI about 2 weeks ago Menards started to take it near us.

Yeah, I still don’t have one.

You leave any info you do have on the phone very vulnerable by not having one. No one thinks they’re going to lose their phone until they do. You could use an old phone number you had to remember as a kid that’s not connected to you personally. Something you auto remember but no one else would. If you use face or Touch ID you’d rarely have to use it.

They do not. If a place takes mobile payment they take Apple Pay. You’d be surprised the amount of places that have told me they don’t take Apple Pay but have a mobile reader. They’re pretty stunned when I hold my watch or phone near it and it goes right through.

I totally get that I’m taking a risk, but it’s one I’ve decided to take.

I totally get that I’m taking a risk, but it’s one I’ve decided to take.
What Risk are you taking? Not putting on a passcode? Using/Not using ApplePay?

Sorry just confused as you replied to a person's response to 3 different people So I'm completely lost lol

What Risk are you taking? Not putting on a passcode? Using/Not using ApplePay?

Sorry just confused as you replied to a person's response to 3 different people So I'm completely lost lol

I was replying to the part where they said I was leaving myself very vulnerable by not having a passcode. They suggested using an old phone number for the passcode but that’s not the problem. I just find it Uber annoying to have to type it in every time I pick up my phone.

I was replying to the part where they said I was leaving myself very vulnerable by not having a passcode. They suggested using an old phone number for the passcode but that’s not the problem. I just find it Uber annoying to have to type it in every time I pick up my phone.
Thanks didn't see the middle one had your name! lol

Are you being serious? No, there are NO ways to spend cash in the park. Zero.

You can PUT cash into a machine and EXCHANGE it for a debit card. You are not "spending" your cash when you do that. You are trading it for a card so you can use the card to pay for things.
I don’t care what you call it. As a consumer if I can walk into a business with $50 in cash and walk out having used up $50 in goods and services then that business is not fully cashless. I don’t care if I have to exchange that $50 for a gift card, Disney Dollars or magic seeds before I get the goods and services. All I care about is starting with cash and ending without it.

And yes, I realize I would have to have a ticket beforehand to get into the park.

I try to carry as little as possible anywhere I go so I like not having my wallet with me. I have my phone and watch with wallets on them and love it. Mobile wallets are also much more secure and easier to update if a card is compromised.

I think I've brought up a couple times that I will use different cards depending on what the purchase is. How easy is it to switch between accounts with Apple/Google Pay?

I think I've brought up a couple times that I will use different cards depending on what the purchase is. How easy is it to switch between accounts with Apple/Google Pay?
Once you double click the side button, it will pull up any cards you have added to your Apple Pay app.

Here there aren't significant fees in relation to taking card payments. Cash costs money because it takes more employee time to cash up at the end of the day and get all the cash to a bank.

Banking here is a little different than in the USA though, for example we have free instant bank transfers etc so don't use apps like venmo etc and don't use cheques anymore.

Essentially I am not sure the situations are comparable but I would say that if you are travelling in the UK make sure you have a debit or credit card you can use in "no cash" places, especially in London.

In the UK the fees can be significant for using credit cards, its varies on size/trade of the business. Larger companies can get a lower rate due to the amount of money that is being processed. That is a why several smaller business prefer cash or minimum spend for cards.

Lots of takeaway places in my area are cash only.

From what I can tell also, only about 50-60% of the pay terminals I've gone through have accepted "tap" (which is more of a "hold" than a "tap").

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter