• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Apple Scooter- Not Recommended

SueM, thanks for the insight on this. When you explain it like that, it makes sense to have only a few companies be allowed to drop off at bell services. However, the features provider aspect that is communicated go guests gives a sense of security for me as the renter in that Disney is vouching for this firm in every aspect of their conduct and not just the general aspects like bell drop off and ECVs that fit Disney.

Anyways, after 5 days I have finally received a reply from Apple. No apologies, no explanation, nothing. There was one sentence in the email: "We will credit the amount back to your bank account". That was the sole content of the email. One more hint that they certainly have a problem with their customer service.

Actually, the companies had to apply and agree to certain requirements to be put on that Disney Featured Provider list. Before initiating the Featured Providers, any company could deliver to Bell Services and it was a nightmare for Disney to deal with all those companies.
(At one point, I think it was about 20 companies,some left the ECVs sitting there in Bell Services for many days or just told the guest a place to park it! We saw one once just left outside for more than a week after check out at Beach Club; there was a clearly visible card with the name of the renter and the check in, check out dates )
That was a potential liability issue for Disney - I remember reading about people having issues with having left their ECV somewhere for pick up and the company saying it was not found.
Disney was trying to get down to a manageable number of companies that would be allowed to drop off and pick up from Bell Services and did not approve every company that applied. Companies that were not chosen are not allowed to just leave their equipment - if they do, Disney can confiscate and remove it. The initial contracts were for 2 years as far as I know and I don't know if there was/is a reapplication process. I do agree that it would be a good idea to contact both the company and Disney if you have concerns about a company that is on Disney's Featured Provider list. That may be the only way Disney finds out people's concerns.

I had conversations by email with several companies that did get onto the list, several that did not and several that did not apply. The requirements were things like when the company would pick up & deliver and types of ECVs - which was mostly to standardize equipment for the buses. Disney agreed to take responsibility for ECVs/equipment left at Bell Services until it is picked up by the guest or the company.
Some of the companies that did not apply were smaller, family owned companies, like Randy's which delivered and picked up directly from the customer as their usual practice. I didn't talk to anyone from Walker, but I think they were similar to Randy's.

So, am I understanding correctly that if you rent from a non-featured provider like Walker, they cannot leave the ECV at bell services and my mom would have to be there to meet them when they dropped off and picked up? Thanks so much for the information!

So, am I understanding correctly that if you rent from a non-featured provider like Walker, they cannot leave the ECV at bell services and my mom would have to be there to meet them when they dropped off and picked up? Thanks so much for the information!
Okay, replying to my own message to say I found the FAQ and I think I'm clear on this now. Thank you so much for having so much detailed information!

Yes, you must meet them for delivery and pick up but Walker is a great company to deal with!!!

Thought I would post my follow up to the post about Apple Scooter above.

Apple Scooter has not gotten back to me, neither have they refunded my money yet. I'll give them until tonight, then I will file with Amex about getting my money back. I may also sent something to the BBB.

I contacted Walker right after my above post. Their customer service has been stellar! I conversed with Crystal who went above and beyond to answer all my questions and concerns. She explained the advantages and disadvantages of all their scooters to me. I still settled with the Go Go because of size and portability. When asked what their earliest drop off and latest pick up would be, she said they would work with whatever times I need. I then requested an 8am drop off for both rental periods since we won't be arriving until early evening the day before and I don't need the scooter over night. 8am is still early enough for us to make it to the parks shortly after 9am opening. For the first rental, I requested an 8pm pick up at the hotel since we want to spend the day at Universal. I figured those times would be reasonable. I was then told that they would deliver the scooter to bell services the evening before our rental and pick up the day after the late pick up I had requested at no extra cost so I will have it right at 8am for a day in the parks and didn't have to worry about making the 8pm pickup I had requested. What awesome customer service is that! I quickly received their reservation confirmation via email - and here comes the thing that was the most astounding to me: even though I have opted for the extra insurance for both rental periods, Walker is less than Apple Scooter! Granted, it's just a couple bucks per rental period but since I hadn't really asked what they would charge it came as another pleasant surprise. I just had wanted to make sure I would not have to worry about dead scooter and batteries in the parks, so I was willing to pay whatever extra it would cost to rent with them.

I will comment back after my rental with Walker but if they handle their rental equipment the same way they handle customer support, I have no doubts that my trip with the ECV will be pleasant!

Edited: I also sent off an email to Disney about my experience with Apple. After all, they are on their features provider list. I know, I know, everyone who pays the fee can be put on that list. I think if enough people complain though (also about their stroller rental which seems to be even more horrid these days), maybe Disney will do something. Because really, it's gonna put a bad light on them as well.

good luck - I reported them to Disney and to the BBB and because they weren't BBB members there was nothing the BBB could do. Apple got real nasty real quick once the BBB was contacted

Does anyone have recent experience with Buena Vista?

I have rented from them twice - fall 2014 and again december 2015. Both times I have been pleased.

Fall 2014 was the first time I rented an ECV and our trip was a split trip with a cruise in the middle. I needed the ECV for the bookend WDW stays.

The first I rented from Walker as I wanted them to show me how to use it (having never used an ECV) -- so renting form a vendor that has to pickup and dropoff with the customer seemed a good idea, and based on reviews Walker seemed to be one of the best of that group. Their service was great. I did find it a bit challenging with respect to having to meet them for drop-off and pick-up -- having to schedule that into the day and find a time they and we were available created some challenges (for both receiving which was on our arrival day after flying from canada, and for giving back because they only had one "window" available and it conflicted with our plans -- we changed the plans so we could meet Walker). Not insurmountable, and not a reason to not rent with them again. Just something to be factored in when planning. For a first time ECV rental I think it was a good idea and the benefits outweighed the downside.

However, I did find the scooter a bit of a challenge to use: the way the "on/off"/deadman on the tiller worked meant my hands and wrists became really sore because of how it had to be actively held "on". This contrasted significantly with the ECV from Buena Vista, which had a different tiller and on/off/deadman design. That change in design made all the difference for *me* -- no more sore hands ! :-) MUCH easier to use because of that. The design difference meant being able to hold the thing in a different way, and that different way happened to not be painful -- the deadman still works, it just is designed differently (IIRC the difference is basically a push / pull + where it is situated issue).

The second part of that trip we rented from Buena Vista. My original thought was: I will have been shown how to use it by walker, and this way I get to try both companies. I was pleased we went this route, due to the tiller design issue. When I picked up the Buena Vista scooter at Beach Club's Bell services, the CM who brought it out to me gave me (unasked) a quick demo of how it worked and made sure I was comfortable with it. I realize this is probably not in their expected job duties, but it was certainly much appreciated. the scooter itself was in excellent condition and we had no problems with it.

Fast forward to our December 2015 trip: I needed the scooter so I could handle MVMCP. I decided to go with Buena Vista again as (1) the tiller design; and (2) much more convenient to pickup/drop off via Bell services (when I can do it on my schedule), especially since I was only there the one night. We stayed at AoA. No demo when I picked the scooter up, but fortunately I now was a "pro" at using it so no problem for me. The scooter we received had seen better days in the wear and tear department (e.g. the tiller handles were rough-feeling due to wear and nto smooth like they had been with the first rental from BV), but only to the extent of being older and worn, not damaged. The scooter itself did its job just fine, no issues.

SW

I have rented from them twice - fall 2014 and again december 2015. Both times I have been pleased.

Fall 2014 was the first time I rented an ECV and our trip was a split trip with a cruise in the middle. I needed the ECV for the bookend WDW stays.

The first I rented from Walker as I wanted them to show me how to use it (having never used an ECV) -- so renting form a vendor that has to pickup and dropoff with the customer seemed a good idea, and based on reviews Walker seemed to be one of the best of that group. Their service was great. I did find it a bit challenging with respect to having to meet them for drop-off and pick-up -- having to schedule that into the day and find a time they and we were available created some challenges (for both receiving which was on our arrival day after flying from canada, and for giving back because they only had one "window" available and it conflicted with our plans -- we changed the plans so we could meet Walker). Not insurmountable, and not a reason to not rent with them again. Just something to be factored in when planning. For a first time ECV rental I think it was a good idea and the benefits outweighed the downside.

However, I did find the scooter a bit of a challenge to use: the way the "on/off"/deadman on the tiller worked meant my hands and wrists became really sore because of how it had to be actively held "on". This contrasted significantly with the ECV from Buena Vista, which had a different tiller and on/off/deadman design. That change in design made all the difference for *me* -- no more sore hands ! :-) MUCH easier to use because of that. The design difference meant being able to hold the thing in a different way, and that different way happened to not be painful -- the deadman still works, it just is designed differently (IIRC the difference is basically a push / pull + where it is situated issue).

The second part of that trip we rented from Buena Vista. My original thought was: I will have been shown how to use it by walker, and this way I get to try both companies. I was pleased we went this route, due to the tiller design issue. When I picked up the Buena Vista scooter at Beach Club's Bell services, the CM who brought it out to me gave me (unasked) a quick demo of how it worked and made sure I was comfortable with it. I realize this is probably not in their expected job duties, but it was certainly much appreciated. the scooter itself was in excellent condition and we had no problems with it.

Fast forward to our December 2015 trip: I needed the scooter so I could handle MVMCP. I decided to go with Buena Vista again as (1) the tiller design; and (2) much more convenient to pickup/drop off via Bell services (when I can do it on my schedule), especially since I was only there the one night. We stayed at AoA. No demo when I picked the scooter up, but fortunately I now was a "pro" at using it so no problem for me. The scooter we received had seen better days in the wear and tear department (e.g. the tiller handles were rough-feeling due to wear and nto smooth like they had been with the first rental from BV), but only to the extent of being older and worn, not damaged. The scooter itself did its job just fine, no issues.

SW
Thank you so much for the information. My mom is also going to be new to using an ECV, so I'm hoping she can get some practice time in the night we arrive!

Thank you so much for the information. My mom is also going to be new to using an ECV, so I'm hoping she can get some practice time in the night we arrive!

I found once I got the hang of it the ECV was fairly simple to use. Even the drive to the room was useful practice as it got me used to how fast it runs at different settings, what the stopping time is like and a feel for maneuverability. Definitely a good idea to practice at the resort before one has to deal with the crowds of the parks.

SW

Checking in again with an update.

Apple Scooter did zilch regarding my requests for a chargeback. I talked to someone with WDW Guest Relations about this issue. He was very apologetic about it and contacted Apple Scooter and my behalf. Suddenly I had a refund for ONE of TWO rentals the next day. The second rental has NOT been repaid yet. I have relayed that again to WDW Guest Relations and also have contacted Apple again. The next problem I have is that because my credit card is in Euros and conversion rates are every changing, the chargeback for the first rental now is significantly less. I could have paid a nice lunch for one of my kids at BOG for what I am missing now due to this. American Express is refunding me the difference now so I am not gonna lose any money on this, but this is clearly aggrevating. At least there is two sides cracking down on Apple now, Amex and WDW.

Last edited:
Another update. Apple Scooter has completely shut down on both me and the Disney rep trying to help me - we're both being ignored or put on hold and then disconnected. I still have not received a chargeback for the second rental (which runs about $190). Amex is also on the issue. They are keeping me updated on their progress, however they are also not getting anywhere with Apple (no response from the company, either). I know I will get my money back through Amex but this is absolutely unacceptable behaviour! The Disney rep. who has been helping me has escalated this to his manager and higher ups in order to get their cooperation with Apple Scooter reviewed. He told me such behaviour with their stroller rental has led to them not being a featured vendor for strollers anymore. I have also filed a complaint with the BBB and seeing how they handled customer complaints in the past is absolutely horrible (it's always the customer's fault, never the company's....).

Anyways, I have been very pleased with renting from Walker so far. Every question and concern I had was addressed ASAP (usually within a couple hours after I sent off the email). When I called, everyone was very friendly and understanding and took their time explaining everything to me down to giving me tips how to enjoy myself in the parks.

Our first trip to Orlando we used Apple and had so many problems we switched (mid vacation) to Walker Mobility. Since then we've used Walker at least twiice a year and will never rent from anyone else. Neverr had a problem with Walker's scooters or batteries, great company.

Last update in my issue with Apple Scooter. They have not made any attempts to reply to either me, Disney or Amex. The wrongful second charge that they never refunded or acknowledged has now been taken care of by Amex and was repaid. So now I have all my money back. Didn't lose anything in that regard but it did cost me a lot of energy to get this resolved. My complaint with the BBB is still pending their investigation. I'll go forward with this so hopefully it'll go on permanent record on their website.

Last update in my issue with Apple Scooter. They have not made any attempts to reply to either me, Disney or Amex. The wrongful second charge that they never refunded or acknowledged has now been taken care of by Amex and was repaid. So now I have all my money back. Didn't lose anything in that regard but it did cost me a lot of energy to get this resolved. My complaint with the BBB is still pending their investigation. I'll go forward with this so hopefully it'll go on permanent record on their website.

Really sorry to hear about the problems and aggravation you experienced with Apple, we have stuck with Walker for several years now and never had a problem. Will be visiting again in mid June and the scooter(s) we will get from Walker for 2 weeks (including a cruise). Will keep you updated but I'm sure we'll have no problems.

Was surprised to see this discussion still going on and the continuing problems people are experiencing that rent from Apple. We just returned from 2 weeks in Orlando and must say the scooters we saw with Apple logo on them were looking rather rough with wear and age. Although I did not see anyone on those scooters broken down in the parks I was certainly glad we rented our 2 scooters from Walker and enjoyed our stay without any worry of scooter issues or breakdowns. I would advise there is a lot of construction activity in the Magic Kingdom, especially on the west side of Main Street and dust and sand could be an issue for some people if they spend an extended period of time there, otherwise a very nice and needed vacation for us. Take care, Linda

Thank you for posting this information. We are first time ECV renters and I've just now reserved at Buena Vista and plan to cancel Apple. I didn't want to cancel until I had secured something else first. I want my mom to have a good experience, hoping for the best.

We've rented from Buena Vista many times over the years. Occasionally have issues but they are quick to deal with it. This last trip had a battery that ran out of juice about 3 hours into the day. We charge them every night so it wasn't that. When I called the young man on the phone gave me a line of horse manure about the colored lights being the RPM not the battery meter. But the young man who brought the replacement was polite and apologetic. And it is a battery meter. Took about an hour for the new scooter and he brought it right to us in EPCOT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter