Apple Watch: To What Extent Can It Replace the Magic Band

Cindra

Mouseketeer
A family member that I just booked a DVC stay for asked me if they could link their Apple Watch to the app and use their watch in place of a Magic Band. I've searched that topic and it seems that it can for at least some things. Input from anyone who has used their Apple Watch in place of the Magic Band would be appreciated. Can you:

>open room door
>pay for food/etc., and if so is anything additional needed to get it to charge to room vs. Apple pay

I think from what i've read this does work for park entrance.

Any other tips for using an Apple Watch to it's full capabilities during a Disney World visit would be greatly appreciated.

A family member that I just booked a DVC stay for asked me if they could link their Apple Watch to the app and use their watch in place of a Magic Band. I've searched that topic and it seems that it can for at least some things. Input from anyone who has used their Apple Watch in place of the Magic Band would be appreciated. Can you:

>open room door
>pay for food/etc., and if so is anything additional needed to get it to charge to room vs. Apple pay

I think from what i've read this does work for park entrance.

Any other tips for using an Apple Watch to it's full capabilities during a Disney World visit would be greatly appreciated.
You can add a MagicMobile pass to your watch for admission. Apple Pay will work for payments. Can’t open doors with the watch, just the app on the phone.

For things the MB itself can do, just park pass. I have my AP on there. Honestly no idea if it can do tickets too or not. But it can be used as your AP. It won't do room charging like a MB does. I've had mixed success using it for Apple Pay in the parks. It won't open your door. Your phone can but it's very hit and miss. If you don't have a MB you need to get a card key. Unless you like hiking back to the front desk to get in your room when the app won't work

We did this on our last trip. It can do Tickets and LL. We did not try purchases. It did not work for Hotel doors, we had to use the unlock hotel door feature on MDE on our phone for that.

I really really really enjoyed it. If you make the card on each apple watch the only one for that person and make it auto connect you don’t event have to click anything, works just like a magic band. My family loved it.

We have used our Apple Watch every visit since it was introduced you could link it and feel it works pretty well. We have annual passes and they are linked, so on entering parks you just double click and you can select pass and tap for entry and than use finger print as well. Use it when going into parking lots for cast member to scan. Also use pass for Lightning lanes with no problem. Again as it’s been mentioned, you can’t open you room with watch, we always get a physical card upon check in, in case good old technology doesn’t work after we just walked a mile to our room. No harm giving it a try, if you don’t like it you don’t have to use it.

I bought a slide to go on my watch band from Etsy, the center part can be unscrewed and removed from the magic band and then inserted into the slide and onto the watch band. My trip isn't until April so I have not tried it yet.

I bought a slide to go on my watch band from Etsy, the center part can be unscrewed and removed from the magic band and then inserted into the slide and onto the watch band. My trip isn't until April so I have not tried it yet.
they work fine as a MB replacement. No different than having a MB, just on the watch band instead of separate. I have used one and found it annoyed me to have the extra thing hanging off my band. Got caught when digging in my bag, etc. I like the clip on dangle type better

I tried to use my Apple Watch to open my room back in September (not knowing I couldn't do this) and it messed up the programming in the lock.. my phone and magic band wouldn't work after that. Not fun after getting back from the Boo Bash at 1 am. Don't make my mistake 🤪

The only thing you can't do at this point with Disney MagicMobile is unlock your hotel room door. That requires you to open the MDE app. Park admission, redeeming LL, PhotoPass, and now resort charges can be done via MagicMobile. They added the ability to charge purchases to your room (assuming you're staying onsite and have a credit card on file) late last year:

Q.

Can I use a Disney MagicMobile pass to make purchases?
A.

Yes, if you are a Disney Resort hotel Guest you can use your Disney MagicMobile Pass to charge back to your resort folio. If you are not a Disney Resort hotel Guest, you cannot use Disney MagicMobile to make purchases, however most locations accept Apple Pay and Google Pay as forms of payment.
Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/magic-mobile-purchasing/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter