Apple Watch

Jaylie

DIS Veteran
I just bought an Apple Watch (Series 5) and I’m looking forward to tracking my steps and miles walked when I’m on our Disney vacation in a few weeks. My question from those of you who have one of these watches is ... is it good for other things besides fitness tracking? I did get the cellular service, so I know I can make and receive phone calls. I want to make the most of this expensive purchase!! Thanks ...

I first bought mine for fitness tracking, too. I am no expert, but I think you will find you will naturally start using it for more and more things. I read my texts, answer phone calls, check stock prices, etc. I LOVE using it for Apple Pay! I look forward to seeing what others say, too. I am sure I will learn something new along with you!

I put all of my fast passes and ADRs on my calendar with a 30 alert. Thirty minutes before the start of my fastpass window/ADR my watch will vibrate to let me know that I have something to do. I also reply to texts and look at news headlines, but not on vacation. I use the timer for work and cooking. it is also good for weather. There are some games that you can play, check out the app store. I just remember, somebody at work listened to music from her watch.
Judy

I forgot to add that I also use the watch for grocery shopping. May grocery list from my phone goes to my watch and I just delete something after I put it in the cart.
When I bought my first iPad shortly after they came out, I thought, what did I do (nothing like spending several hundred dollars on the spur of the moment). Now I can't live without it. I'm not quite there with the watch but it is close.

We have these on our Apple Watch bands, one less thing on the wrist. We got some a few years back but the LE Bluetooth might not be working on our old pucks anymore. The old rings were hard and can’t really remove the puck without breaking them. Hopeful for these new flexible one for our March trip

https://etsy.me/2ZKTuAp

The Apple Watch 4 and 5 have fall detection.
Heart monitoring.
Turn by turn directions with maps.
Apple Pay
Passes and tickets

I use mine mostly for fitness and texts but it’s handy for tons of things. It’s like having your day planner on your wrist. One of my favorite things is the timer. A small thing but I’m not going to miss it because it’s right there.

All the notifications appearing on your phone can be replicated on the watch. That’s super helpful in many situations, including using MDE in the parks. I find that I reach for my phone much less because of that. Simple emoji replies to text messages are also very useful.

I originally got mine for reading texts, fitness tracking was something I discovered later. I am sure the newer ones like you have have even better features.

I love the alarm feature, I find the buzz on my wrist to be so much nicer to wake up to. It also works great at Disneyland to alert me when it is time to book another Fastpass and since it is just a buzz on my wrist I always feel the notification but it doesn't bother anyone else if we are on a ride or something.

I use a grocery app on the watch when shopping.

I like using Applepay on the watch so I don't have to dig for my phone or credit card.

You can pay for Starbucks from the app but you can't mobile order.

I can start my robotic vacuum from the watch app if I forget to turn it on before I start walking the dog.

I load podcasts/music so I can listen with headphones while I do things around the house and not have to move my phone with me.

I also use Siri on my watch but never use it on my phone, I really feel like watch Siri understands better than phone Siri but that's likely just me.

My favorite features are being able to control music and podcasts from it. I can be handsfree with my airpods and don't need my phone around for it. I also like receiving instant notifications of texts, calls, our motion sensor cameras on our house, etc. without having to keep my phone nearby or dig it out of my purse every time. Also nice for when I'm in meetings at work.

I will caution though about the hard fall detection feature on it. I got my father an Apple Watch for Christmas. He was out to dinner last week and accidentally hit his watch on the table while raising his arm up, and it set off the hard fall detection. He didn't realize that at the time, so when he didn't respond to it, emergency services were called and the emergency contacts designated on his iPhone were notified. I'm one of the emergency contacts and received the notice immediately on my Apple Watch, so I of course called right away to make sure he was ok. When he was, I knew it was an accident so he called the emergency services back, but it was too late - the fire truck and ambulance were already pulling up in front of the restaurant! Needless to say, we turned this feature off. Its a great feature in theory, but neither of us trust him to respond to the detection right away if something like that should happen again.

My favorite features are being able to control music and podcasts from it. I can be handsfree with my airpods and don't need my phone around for it. I also like receiving instant notifications of texts, calls, our motion sensor cameras on our house, etc. without having to keep my phone nearby or dig it out of my purse every time. Also nice for when I'm in meetings at work.

I will caution though about the hard fall detection feature on it. I got my father an Apple Watch for Christmas. He was out to dinner last week and accidentally hit his watch on the table while raising his arm up, and it set off the hard fall detection. He didn't realize that at the time, so when he didn't respond to it, emergency services were called and the emergency contacts designated on his iPhone were notified. I'm one of the emergency contacts and received the notice immediately on my Apple Watch, so I of course called right away to make sure he was ok. When he was, I knew it was an accident so he called the emergency services back, but it was too late - the fire truck and ambulance were already pulling up in front of the restaurant! Needless to say, we turned this feature off. Its a great feature in theory, but neither of us trust him to respond to the detection right away if something like that should happen again.
Huh, it should have given him an alarm first.

I go back and forth on whether or not I should turn mine on. I’m home alone a lot and don’t think anything of climbing up on a ladder etc. On one hand I’m fairly fit and super aware so I feel it’s unlikely. On the other in the last year I’ve known two people in my age bracket (early 50s) that have died falling after a medical episode. Whether it was the medical condition or the fall no one knows but in both cases they were down for a long time before being found and it was too late.

We have these on our Apple Watch bands, one less thing on the wrist. We got some a few years back but the LE Bluetooth might not be working on our old pucks anymore. The old rings were hard and can’t really remove the puck without breaking them. Hopeful for these new flexible one for our March trip

https://etsy.me/2ZKTuAp
what are pucks and rings?

I just bought an Apple Watch (Series 5) and I’m looking forward to tracking my steps and miles walked when I’m on our Disney vacation in a few weeks. My question from those of you who have one of these watches is ... is it good for other things besides fitness tracking? I did get the cellular service, so I know I can make and receive phone calls. I want to make the most of this expensive purchase!! Thanks ...

Here's a good primer on getting started with the Apple Watch:

https://www.imore.com/apple-watch-beginners-guide
Things I use it most for:

--Having a phone conversation when I have my hands full;

--Seeing texts and sending basic responses;

--Listening to music and podcasts I download to my phone (saves the need for having my phone with me when I exercise);

--Setting timers and alarms;

--Apple Pay;

--Finding my phone if I've misplaced it.

You can still make and receive phone calls with the wifi version. Your phone has to be within Bluetooth range in order for it to work. I use mine for steps and texts when I'm out in places I may not hear my phone.

Here's a good primer on getting started with the Apple Watch:

https://www.imore.com/apple-watch-beginners-guide
Things I use it most for:

--Having a phone conversation when I have my hands full;

--Seeing texts and sending basic responses;

--Listening to music and podcasts I download to my phone (saves the need for having my phone with me when I exercise);

--Setting timers and alarms;

--Finding my phone if I've misplaced it.
Oh yeah, I use it to find my phone all the time. It’s the watch’s fault I lose my phone though. Having the info on my wrist I tend to set the phone down and forget about it.

Huh, it should have given him an alarm first.

I go back and forth on whether or not I should turn mine on. I’m home alone a lot and don’t think anything of climbing up on a ladder etc. On one hand I’m fairly fit and super aware so I feel it’s unlikely. On the other in the last year I’ve known two people in my age bracket (early 50s) that have died falling after a medical episode. Whether it was the medical condition or the fall no one knows but in both cases they were down for a long time before being found and it was too late.
It did give a notification that he needed to respond to in order to confirm he was ok. But the notification was just a buzz on his wrist like every other notification he receives. Since he was at dinner with others, he didn't bother to look at it. Then chaos ensued. LOL!

The reasons you are considering using the feature for are actually the same reasons I got the watch for my dad. He's had two falling accidents through the years, one of which he wasn't able to get up but was able to get his cell phone out of his pocket to call 911. But unfortunately, I think its the right combination of the feature being too sensitive and my dad not being tech savvy enough to handle it.

It did give a notification that he needed to respond to in order to confirm he was ok. But the notification was just a buzz on his wrist like every other notification he receives. Since he was at dinner with others, he didn't bother to look at it. Then chaos ensued. LOL!

The reasons you are considering using the feature for are actually the same reasons I got the watch for my dad. He's had two falling accidents through the years, one of which he wasn't able to get up but was able to get his cell phone out of his pocket to call 911. But unfortunately, I think its the right combination of the feature being too sensitive and my dad not being tech savvy enough to handle it.
You should be able to set it so that a blaring, obnoxious alarm goes off. But yeah, I get it. I’d like to put one on my stepmother but I don’t think she’d be diligent enough about charging. Ideally she’d have two and could switch out but I can’t afford that. It works out for a lot of people though and I’m glad the tech is there. I can’t even imagine what the future might bring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter