Applying Disney Gift Cards to OBC before sail date?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
I was told by the DCL CM on the phone that if I apply Disney Gift Cards to my OBC and do not use the entire amount that the remaining amount will be automatically reapplied to my gift cards at the end of the cruise. Has anyone done this? It would be so much easier to have a credit and not to carry the gift cards with us! I can take a guess at what we will spend and apply that amount but obviously don't want to be out the extra money if I overestimate our spending!!

That is what happens if you don't spend it all. I'd just bring them on the ship but I know people do call them in before hand.

I called and had several applied to our account before we sailed. I don't think I had anything left over to put back on the cards, but kept them at home until we got back. If you have lots of them, you could call in enough to get started and then do others on board as needed.

I do this, or I call and have them apply money from my checking account (debit card) every so often. I love having a credit when I check in, and if I don't use it all, it goes back to my debit card, so I can use it anywhere (not just for Disney stuff).

Yes, did this for Europe this last summer because we were on the ship for 28 nights. When the first 12 night cruise ended they put the remaining amount back on my gift card (which they told me to bring in case I didn't use it all on the first cruise) and then I just took the gift card down to guest services and applied the balance on the second cruise. After the second cruise, I didn't have any money left for the third cruise. So all was good.

I do this, or I call and have them apply money from my checking account (debit card) every so often. I love having a credit when I check in, and if I don't use it all, it goes back to my debit card, so I can use it anywhere (not just for Disney stuff).

I did not know you could do this!!! I booked through a TA.... What would I do to start doing this? Would I ask my TA? And does my trip need to be paid in full before I can start adding OBC to my room? I would love to have a credit on my account!!!

I did not know you could do this!!! I booked through a TA.... What would I do to start doing this? Would I ask my TA? And does my trip need to be paid in full before I can start adding OBC to my room? I would love to have a credit on my account!!!

Your TA will handle it. You need to get the gift card numbers to them and they contact DCL to apply them to your onboard account. I'm not sure whether you need to be paid in full in order to start adding OBC to your account.

I used a TA, but can I call them myself and have the GCards added?

Do u have to have a debit card or can they just use the checking account number?

We have previously figured out expenses such as excursions, spa, photos, etc and then added that amount to our onboard pre sailing. That way we don't have too much on there... especially since we buy $50 gift cards and it becomes a lot of cards to hold on to :)

What is the advantage of buying your own gift cards to use as SBC vs. charging any on board purchases to the credit card you put on file with guest services? (assuming you are buying your own gift card for your own use)

What is the advantage of buying your own gift cards to use as SBC vs. charging any on board purchases to the credit card you put on file with guest services? (assuming you are buying your own gift card for your own use)

In my case I put part of each of my second job's paycheck on a reloadable Disney gift card so that I know the money is there. No interest charges and no hold put on my account to come off whenever they decide.

We just did that on our Oct 5 sailing...so easy. We didn't have anything left though. :rolleyes:

So the advantage is that you can purchase gift cards with discounts, like the well documented Target Red Card 5% savings, so it will slightly reduce your costs, vs other cards that even at the best will give you at max 1% benefit.

Only risk for people like myself who paid the entire cruise on $50 gift cards, is that you actually have to hold on to all of them b/c if you end up with a credit they'll credit a gift card but I'm not sure how they pick which one...

So the advantage is that you can purchase gift cards with discounts, like the well documented Target Red Card 5% savings, so it will slightly reduce your costs, vs other cards that even at the best will give you at max 1% benefit.

Only risk for people like myself who paid the entire cruise on $50 gift cards, is that you actually have to hold on to all of them b/c if you end up with a credit they'll credit a gift card but I'm not sure how they pick which one...

Or Safeway, which has 4X gas rewards points right now.

I buy a $250 Disney gift card, I get 1000 gas points, which is a dollar a gallon off.

Filling up the massive twinmobile, that saves me about $23 on a fillup. Not bad.

There is also the Winn Dixie grocery the will give you 5cents off a gallon of gas for every $50 dollars. Around the holidays it is 10 cents off. This is great with the price of gas.

I do it for the gas credits at Kroger as well. I pay off my cruises and pay for expenses with it.

As far as prepaying, I just prepay what I know - tips, excursions, etc. But I carry my remaining ones with me and go down each morning and pay for what we charged the night before with mine.

Oh, I also take an extra one to rebook onboard with for our next cruise. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter