• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Appreciate Advice On Disney Resorts!! Help!

Which Resort Do You Like The Most?

• Wilderness Lodge

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Polynesian

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Yacht Club/Beach Club

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters

JasonW

Earning My Ears
Quick background, my family (myself, wife, 9 year old son) and I are traveling to Disney July 31st -August 9th this Summer. I am debating between WL, Poly, AKL, or BC/YC. I have only stayed at POR French Quarter before, and thought it was pretty nice but I want to try a Deluxe Resort this time. We are early risers and subscribe to the "Unofficial Guide to Disney" formula. Here are my thoughts so far based on my research-

WL- Cheapest of the 4 resorts. love the theme and hear that kids love it. The hotel restaurants also look great. I have probably done the most research on this resort. Like the boat option to get to MK. I hear that the bus service can be slow and inefficient. Are they still doing any refurbishment right now?

Poly- theme looks awesome, however, the thing thing that attracts me the most is the access to Monorail. How valuable is this? Is the construction a big deal?

AKL- this is the one my wife keeps asking about and I love the look of it as well. thinking about a Savannah room view. Restaurants look great. Main concern I have is remote location. Unofficial Guide To Disney says you should consider renting a car if staying here, which I do not want to do. Any advice on this?

YC/BC- I don't absolutely love the theme of this resort, but biggest attraction for me is the SAB pool, and close proximity to both EPCOT and Hollywood. Also ability to walk to restaurants at EPCOT.

I know this is a lot to comment on but appreciate any advice here!

We've stayed at WL and YC. Both were wonderful for very different reasons.

The YC has great access to Epcot, HS, and the Boardwalk.........great if those are high on your attendance sheet. YC also has great access to other parks via boat (Epcot or HS) and the monorail (Yes the monorail) to MK.........you'll need a park hopper to really exploit that tho, because you have to walk through Epcot to get to it. The YC also has easy access to our favorite all time character meal......"The Goofy :goofy: Beach breakfast" at Cape May Cafe in the BC. Finally, with the YC you get access to the best (bar none) pool on WDW property SAB! It is beyond spectacular in my opinion.

The WL has great access to the MK via boat. You can also get to the CR and Fort Wilderness via boats too.........which gives you easy access to Chef Mickey's and Hoopty Doo Review. The WL is in the most peaceful setting on WDW. You can walk outside and forget you're at WDW or for that fact in Florida! The rooms are the least expensive for a Deluxe at WDW and for that the rooms in my opinion are a bit tighter.........but for us that doesn't matter. They do always seem to be doing some sort of renovation at WL lately. On our last trip in Sept the pool was being refurbed.......I've heard they did a great job. As for the buses........during our visit we didn't find the bus situation that distressing but I'm sure you'll find others who did. Disney buses are a crap shoot no matter what you do. Lastly, the Whispering Canyon Cafe is just one of the most entertaining TS restaurants on WDW property..........you just have to remember to ask for Ketchup.

So in the end........in your situation..........it seems to come down to cost (if thats an issue)......or park proximity. If cost is the issue...........WL wins hands down. The same would be true in the MK is where you want to spend a good part of your time. If cost isn't an option and you're Ok with Epcot and HS...............Do BC (more kid friendly to me)..........you son will go nuts over the pool.

Have a great vacation!! pixiedust:

Doug :goofy:

Quick background, my family (myself, wife, 9 year old son) and I are traveling to Disney July 31st -August 9th this Summer. I am debating between WL, Poly, AKL, or BC/YC. I have only stayed at POR French Quarter before, and thought it was pretty nice but I want to try a Deluxe Resort this time. We are early risers and subscribe to the "Unofficial Guide to Disney" formula. Here are my thoughts so far based on my research-

WL- Cheapest of the 4 resorts. love the theme and hear that kids love it. The hotel restaurants also look great. I have probably done the most research on this resort. Like the boat option to get to MK. I hear that the bus service can be slow and inefficient. Are they still doing any refurbishment right now?

Poly- theme looks awesome, however, the thing thing that attracts me the most is the access to Monorail. How valuable is this? Is the construction a big deal?

AKL- this is the one my wife keeps asking about and I love the look of it as well. thinking about a Savannah room view. Restaurants look great. Main concern I have is remote location. Unofficial Guide To Disney says you should consider renting a car if staying here, which I do not want to do. Any advice on this?

YC/BC- I don't absolutely love the theme of this resort, but biggest attraction for me is the SAB pool, and close proximity to both EPCOT and Hollywood. Also ability to walk to restaurants at EPCOT.

I know this is a lot to comment on but appreciate any advice here!

We have stayed at all of your choices and my vote was for the Poly (although WL and AKL run a close second):

Poly
~ tropical atmosphere is relaxing
~ great pool that backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle
~ 2 monorail stops from MK
~ it's a quick 5-7 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail
~ the GF and CR are a quick monorail ride away for a variety of great dining options
~ the rooms are large and spacious
~ Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals/snacks

WL (tied with AKL as we love both equally)
~ great theme/beautiful surroundings
~ great dining options
~ boat to MK is convenient, as is the bus as it's direct with no stops
~ buses to all other parks/DTD has always been efficient in our experience
~ convenient to the monorail resorts for great dining options

AKL (tied with WL as we love both equally)
~ great theme/beautiful surroundings
~ great dining options
~ transportation is good (IMO); the resort is out away from everything, but we found the buses to be great as they only service AKL and Kidani so there's no sharing with any other resort(s); we found it to take maybe 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts (with no need for a car, IMO)

BC/YC (have only stayed at BC)
~ nice atmosphere/surroundings
~ within walking distance/boat service to Epcot and DHS
~ Cape May is great for both breakfast and dinner

We enjoyed our stay at the BC, but we find the CS options too limited for us and while it was nice to try SAB, we weren't wow'd by it and actually prefer the Poly pool (as well as other resort pools) to SAB.

I say make a list of pros and cons in order of whats most important to you, and go from there. Personally, being able to walk to Epcot and DHS wins hands down because I HATE Disney transportation (its more me than Disney - I just can't stand waiting in line for 30 minutes to board a crowded smelly bus/monorail at the end of the night) and being able to walk to 2 out of 4 parks is worth everything to me.
PS You don't *need* a car if staying at AKL - You just need to budget for extra time to get everywhere because it is very far away. But waking up to a baby Zebra outside your window is kinda a once in a lifetime experience!

All are fantastic but for the hottest part of the summer I would do YC/BC. You can't beat their pool, location, and convenient transportation. Save WL for a fall or winter stay. :D

About a year ago, we did a 4 way split stay at each of these four resorts (WL, then Poly, then BC, then AKL).

WL pros:
- Fantastic lobby and great theming/ambiance (had the most relaxed feel of all 4 resorts, with AKL a close second and Poly a somewhat close third)
- Most compact of all 4 resorts
- While the resort has only 2 table service restaurants, we really like Artist Point for dinner and WCC for breakfast (but not lunch/dinner). It's also close to some great dining options like the Contemporary restaurants and the Hoop dee doo Revue (all of which can be accessed via a quick boat ride).
- Least expensive

WL cons:
- Smaller rooms (significantly smaller than Poly, somewhat smaller than BC, same size as AKL)
- Must take busses to 3 of 4 parks

Poly pros:
- Wonderful theming and ambiance
- Monorail is very convenient when it's working (and can be used to get to both MK and EP)
- Two great restaurants in 'Ohana and Kona and the Monorail takes you to many more
- Large rooms
- Wishes on the beach

Poly cons:
- Most spread out of all 4 resorts
- Monorail is sometimes down
- Most expensive

BC pros:
- Within walking distance to both EP and HS (and particularly close to World Showcase, this is very nice after Illuminations)
- SAB is extensive
- Within walking distance to tons of dining options (World Showcase, Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, etc.)
- Crescent Lake and World Showcase have an exciting vibe in the evenings
- Cape May is a great character breakfast

BC cons:
- Theming isn't as exciting or immersive as the other 3 resorts (in our opinion)
- Lack of counter service options in the area
- Most chaotic feel of the 4 resorts
- Bus service can be spotty

AKL pros:
- Fantastic lobby and great theming/ambiance
- All 3 resort table service restaurants are wonderful (Jiko is probably our favorite signature restaurant and Boma is our favorite breakfast buffet)
- Animal viewing areas are fun (and can be enjoyed even if you don't book a Savannah view room)
- Less expensive

AKL cons:
- Must take busses everywhere
- Smaller rooms (same size as WL)

Overall, it's a tough call. We like the theming/ambiance of Poly, AKL, and WL about equally. We like the location of Poly the best with BC a very close second. All in all, if I had to stay at just one resort, it would be the Poly (at least once the construction is finished).

Haven't tried Poly yet but we've stayed at CR and GF. I'd only book a monorail hotel if it's an "all MK" trip.

For summer, definitely Beach Club.

If it was a cooler month, I'd go for AKL. We've had good experiences with the bus and not as long of a ride to MK as from the Epcot resorts.

We've had bad experiences with the boats at WL. On one trip, they shut down the boats but never bothered to tell the guests. We waited a long time then waited some more for a bus to MK, because they didn't bother routing additional buses :) At least with the monorails, there are operators at the entrance telling you it's down.

I've done WL, Poly, YC and BC. Love all three for different reasons. YC/BC are my favorite because of the pool and the walk to Epcot. We spend every night at Epcot strolling around World Showcase!!!
WL is beautiful, and we picked this resort when our trip was during winter months since the pool was out of the question. Great signature restaurant, lounge outdoor areas!!! Very cozy feel!
Poly comes in a VERY close second to my love of YC/BC. The theming is awesome! the rooms are large. Great dining, bars, lobby, monorail (when it is working) and now Trader Sams. If it weren't for the ease of walking to Epcot (and the best CM's) that we get from BC, we would enjoy Poly for all of our summertime trips.

P.S. We have not stayed at AKL (although I have begged my family). It is absolutely stunning. We have lunch or dinner there each trip so I can take it all in. 3 amazing restaurants, the LOBBY, animals.....even the gift shop is my favorite!!

I would choose between YC/BC or Poly based on what park(s) I'll be spending the most time, is your 9 year old going to want to spend most time at MK, or EP/HS or even AK? ;

YC/BC would be my first choice from that list (I love BW too)... Close proximity to TWO parks can't be beat. Our last stay was at BC, and it was awesome to just walk over the bridge to/from Epcot. There was one day we started at HS, took boat to EP, and then bus back to HS, and then boat back to BC. Staying in the EP area resorts opens up a world of dining options.

My 2nd choice for you would be Poly (although I have never stayed there... it is on my list). The convenience of boat or monorail to MK, and monorail to EP is super convenient. When we have dined there I like the overall atmosphere of the resort. Also, being able to watch wishes from the beach!

I'm not a fan of WL... the boat is nice to MK, but buses to all other resorts are shared with GF, or FtWilderness, which can take awhile to get to. I know I'm in the minority in my lack of love for WL, but it was our worst stay in our 6 trips. But, I know you will find a lot of people who love it.

Our last trip was a split stay, and I had AKL booked for our first 3 nights, but I ended up changing at the last minute as I factored in the time it would take to make all our dining reservations, and the AKL dining options didn't appeal to me. I still really want to do a Savannah room stay there someday, but I think I would only do it for 2 nights at the beginning of a trip, and then transfer to a monorail or Epcot resort.

Wow, thank you everyone who posted! Really good detail here and some great insight! I guess I am taking it all in right now, but need to make a decision soon as the trip is coming up and I need to start making Fastpass+ reservations and finalize dinner options. I am talking with the family tonight and tomorrow.

I would choose between YC/BC or Poly based on what park(s) I'll be spending the most time, is your 9 year old going to want to spend most time at MK, or EP/HS or even AK? ;

YC/BC would be my first choice from that list (I love BW too)... Close proximity to TWO parks can't be beat. Our last stay was at BC, and it was awesome to just walk over the bridge to/from Epcot. There was one day we started at HS, took boat to EP, and then bus back to HS, and then boat back to BC. Staying in the EP area resorts opens up a world of dining options.

My 2nd choice for you would be Poly (although I have never stayed there... it is on my list). The convenience of boat or monorail to MK, and monorail to EP is super convenient. When we have dined there I like the overall atmosphere of the resort. Also, being able to watch wishes from the beach!

I'm not a fan of WL... the boat is nice to MK, but buses to all other resorts are shared with GF, or FtWilderness, which can take awhile to get to. I know I'm in the minority in my lack of love for WL, but it was our worst stay in our 6 trips. But, I know you will find a lot of people who love it.

Our last trip was a split stay, and I had AKL booked for our first 3 nights, but I ended up changing at the last minute as I factored in the time it would take to make all our dining reservations, and the AKL dining options didn't appeal to me. I still really want to do a Savannah room stay there someday, but I think I would only do it for 2 nights at the beginning of a trip, and then transfer to a monorail or Epcot resort.

In regards to where we will be spending the most time, probably MK and Epcot, but we will hit all of the parks at least once, plus Typhoon Lagoon.

My family LOVES YC...so much actually, that getting them to try additional resorts is difficult. SAB and the short walk to two parks is pretty fantastic. I actually wanted to stay at Poly this year, but had concerns with the construction, and the rest of the family loved the idea that they could walk to MK from the CR. So CR ended up being our decision for our upcoming trip.

Poly- The monorail is a nice, quick trip from MK if you want a mid-day rest. Plus, the MK fireworks from the beach is a +!!

My 2 cents lol...... We. Loved AKL, it was an great trip, loved the animals, the quick service and table service there. What I did not like was the transportation.....the buses. I can't say they were horrible but with a stroller
, not fun. And your only choice.

YC /BC .... Love love love the YC
SAB was great, our daughter was 7 and our son was 3 not easy to keep them both happy there. One wanted the slide the other the sandy bottom. But it was doable and we will be back, we are waiting until our son is a better swimmer. The transporation was better. U have the option of the boat to 2 parks which is great or even walking to both. Love the fact that there is more to do in the area than just sit in your room after the parks. You can walk around the boardwalk ...great area. TIP....YC is the first bus stop and first drop off you always get a seat. The bus is shared with BC!

WL we checked out one night for dinner. It is very similar to AKL, minus the animals. I like the option of the boat to MK that's a plus. But it seemed lacking something for us. The pool was nicer in my opinion than AKL but I'm not sure I would stay there.

PoLY we are braving in August and I can't wait. So I can't really say.

That is my take on the resorts......good luck!:scared: It's hard to pick

Wow! between Mickeynut1 and others you have pretty much everything that needs too be said already posted here!

I will simply add that my vote is also for the Poly. It has the largest rooms, a great theme, newly refurbished pool area, great monorail access to the MK and Epcot, awesome dining and you can watch Wishes from the beach there.

The other resorts that you list are all extremely nice, but the Poly is special.

You won't go wrong with any of these four resorts, however.

Enjoy!

You can't go wrong with these. Our family of boys loves them all. I recommend a split stay. AKL is amazing but the novelty of the animals wears off after a few days. You could cluster Epcot time and MK time at either end of your stay. Disney moves your luggage if you bring it to the bell desk. We just keep a backpack of essentials, swimsuits with us, so we can swim if our room isn't ready yet at breaktime.

So I have stayed at all your choices but WL, and in your situaton, I would probably choose the Poly. It is my family's favorite, but before you do, just check out eh renovation taking place. I would not do well with it, so I caution others to just make sure that they will nto suffer buyers remorse.

I know that AKL transportation gets a bad rap, but it never bothered me. We often stay at moderates, so bus transportation is part of the deal, and as long as I am nto driving, it is all good! LOL! Seriously, a Savannah view room at AKL cannot be beat! It is a gorgeous resort with a lot ot offer, adn is among my personal favorites.

Of all your choices, the one that I least cared for was the BC. I know it is a favorite for many, but SAB was more of a pain then it was worth to me. The resort is sprawling, so depending on your location, getting to the pool takes time. In order to use the slide you must cross the "street", and this pool has a lot of curves so if you are like me, and trust no one else to watch your kids in the water, it can be very stressful. With that said, those lifeguards are stellar, and never ever take their eyes off the water, and God bless you if you obstruct their view. This is the one time a CM had no problem asking me to move, and I comment them for this.

BC is a great location for Epcot and DHS though, and if you are spending most of your time there, it is convenient.

It does boil down to personal preference - getting all the info you can, and then relate it back to your family

When dd was 8 we stayed at Polynesian, it was magical pure and simple (and some have googled magical deals and have gotten some impressive rates, but like others have posted, there is construction - but will it really bother your family that much? You can walk to the Epcot monorail from Polynesian - its awesome!)

we are doing a split stay this time - between WL and BC - you're right AKL is far, but like others have said, they don't share busses, and I understand they have a very large pool! and I really think in the end if the bus situation is a problem, I'd download the Uber ap and call a Uber driver (I've read about this here on the Transportation forum!)

We love Epcot and so we spend a lot of time walking over to Epcot to eat, and take in the countries - dd is a history buff, and she enjoys this, so we prefer to stay close to Epcot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter