"Appropriate Compensation" from a company

charmin1976

Mouseketeer
Nearly three weeks ago, I went to rent a car from a national company at an airport. I already had my reservation, but when I went to the counter, I was told, "You're on our 'Do Not Rent To List', sorry." I was only given an 800 number to call and nothing else. Luckily (or I would have been stranded) I was traveling with a friend who was able to take over the reservation.

Ten phone calls later, numerous times telling my story, it has finally been admitted that someone either used a bogus license or it was keyed in wrong to rent a car in 2008, which was driven by an unauthorized driver and wrecked. The person renting the car shares only one characteristic with me -- we both live in Pennsylvania -- wrong date of birth, wrong city, wrong phone number, etc.

So, while the company tries to figure out what happened, I've been asked to name what I feel is "appropriate compensation". Right now, I feel like I should be reimbursed for the rental $$$. I don't want a future rental because I'll try to steer clear of this company and its affiliates in the future.

What would you say?

Thanks, Charm

Nearly three weeks ago, I went to rent a car from a national company at an airport. I already had my reservation, but when I went to the counter, I was told, "You're on our 'Do Not Rent To List', sorry." I was only given an 800 number to call and nothing else. Luckily (or I would have been stranded) I was traveling with a friend who was able to take over the reservation.

Ten phone calls later, numerous times telling my story, it has finally been admitted that someone either used a bogus license or it was keyed in wrong to rent a car in 2008, which was driven by an unauthorized driver and wrecked. The person renting the car shares only one characteristic with me -- we both live in Pennsylvania -- wrong date of birth, wrong city, wrong phone number, etc.

So, while the company tries to figure out what happened, I've been asked to name what I feel is "appropriate compensation". Right now, I feel like I should be reimbursed for the rental $$$. I don't want a future rental because I'll try to steer clear of this company and its affiliates in the future.

What would you say?

Thanks, Charm

To me what appropriate compensation would mean is the difference between what the cost to rent from the original company was and the price of the rental you did get. If it was the same dollar amount, then I would chalk it up to an honest mistake and just move on. Aggravating, time consuming, etc. but a mistake.

An apology letter if you feel that's important :confused3

I'd ask for vouchers equal to the amount of the reservation in question, no restrictions on minimum-day-keep.

You DID get a car for your purpose, just not in your own name, so I personally would not ask for cash. However, you had to go through a lot of hassle to clear your name, and that counts for a fair amount.

Swearing off a given rental company isn't the greatest idea, because so many of them are now owned by the same parent organization. If you swear off National, you also swear off of Enterprise, Alamo, Philly Carshare and Enterprise Carshare. (At my workplace Enterprise is our designated vendor, so we have to use their divisions for business trips.)

The difference in cost to rent from yours to your companions. If you hadn't been able to get a car through any other company or if your friend didn't I would give a different answer.

Mistakes happen. Not everything means cash paid out to you. Why do you think they owe you more? I am curious?

The difference in cost to rent from yours to your companions. If you hadn't been able to get a car through any other company or if your friend didn't I would give a different answer.

Why do you think they owe you more? I am curious?

I didn't think they owed me "more". They're pressing for me to "name my price" once they finish their investigation.

Charm

While it may have been an honest mistake, the time it took to resolve it is not acceptable. Time has value. If you only had to make one phone call and explain you're situation, then, I'd agree with others and say the price difference is fair compensation. However, getting bounced from person to person to straighten this out deserves more. I know you want to steer away from this company, but I think a voucher is fair.

I would ask for the total rental cost for sure. It is not a big deal for a big company to comp a rental now and then and the fact that you had to make lots of calls and explain the situation over and over took up your valuable time.

I didn't think they owed me "more". They're pressing for me to "name my price" once they finish their investigation.

Charm

Then I would ask for the difference in the price of one rental and the next. It would be nice maybe for a $25.00 voucher for you and one for your friend. Other than that I would say you are covered.

As for the phone calls etc. I have been there and done that way too many times to count. I am sure many of of the posters here also. Currently I have called our phone company at least 4 times in the last two days and held once over an hour. They have an autobot call that is stuck and calls my house every hour. Yes an inconvenience, especially since I sleep mornings, but I don't expect anything from them other than to fix the problem. If they asked me what I wanted as compensation for my time, I would ask for an apology which each person has offered already.

My rule of thumb is to double my hourly pay (I am salaried with a 40 hour minimum work week, so I base my calculations off that), so say your normally base pay is $30/hour, then the charge would be $60/hour.

Then calculate how much time you spent (remember to round up each incident, such as each phone call, etc. to the nearest 15 minute block), multiply by the amount per hour, then add in your actual damages + 25% (for administrative fees).

In this case actual damages would be your original rental fee if you still had to pay it, plus the cost of the other rental vehicle. If you didn't have to pay for your rental, then it would be the pice difference between the two.

So say you spent 10 hours, at $60 per hour, that would be $600. Then say your actual damages are $100, you would bill that at $125. So, you would ask for $725.

When pressed to name my price, that is how I come up with an objective price.

If told all they would provide is a voucher, then I double the dollar amount, after all you are getting locked into using them in the future.

I don't have an answer for compensation, but sometimes customer satisfaction is part of my job. The fact that you were transferred around to a bunch of different people that couldn't help you, and that your name is on a "Do Not Rent To" list (and if most car rental companies are owned by one parent co.) for multiple rental agencies, I would be more upset about that than the money (although I would still figure out some type of compensation).
If you frequently rent cars, I would ask for a letter stating that mess was cleared up. :sad2:

I would ask for the amount that was charged for the rental.

The fact that you were traveling with a friend who, luckily, was able to rent a car in their name, does not excuse the matter.

If you were on some kind of Do Not Rent list, then either the rental reservation should not have gone thru, or you should have been notified at some time in advance.

IMHO, your friend should not have had to cover for you, and should not have to reimburse your friend out of your own pocket.

Hope it all works out!

You should ask for the free rental. While you had a friend with you, it's not your responsibility to make sure their "Do No Rent To" list is accurate. Once they feel enough of a financial bite, they'll be more likely to update their lists.

You should ask for the free rental. While you had a friend with you, it's not your responsibility to make sure their "Do No Rent To" list is accurate. Once they feel enough of a financial bite, they'll be more likely to update their lists.

:thumbsup2

I would ask for a free rental and lifetime membership in their elite rental program-whatever it's called for that company.

I find it refreshing that they are offering compensation. The cost of the rental would be nice.

My issue involving a rental car was not with the company renting it, but the court system. A guy with the same first and last name, from New York, ran a red light in a rented car in Beverly Hills. He was stopped, and cited. He paid the fine. Someone in the court in Beverly Hills ran the name and put the conviction and points on MY California driving record. They also put this guys New York address as a secondary address on my license.
I find out when my auto insurance rates doubles.
It took me 18 months to get it all straightened out. The court had all the correct information on the citation.....the rental car company provided all the information from the rental, which matched that.
Funny, courts don't compensate you when they screw up.

Then I would ask for the difference in the price of one rental and the next. It would be nice maybe for a $25.00 voucher for you and one for your friend. Other than that I would say you are covered.

I got a 50.00 voucher just because when I returned the car I said "man that car sucked- no power windows or doors"-- just an off hand comment, wasn't going to make a federal case of it and they were all apologetic and gave me a 50.00 voucher

Charm

I think that if they are offering compensation, of course you should take it. A company blowing off this kind of mistake, which was totally on their part, is not good customer service. Acknowledging your inconvenience and making a gesture towards your satisfaction, is. Reimbursement of the rental fees is a fair in this circumstance, I'd say. :drive:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter