Arctic Expedition 2024

Pluto1992

Earning My Ears
We are booked for the Arctic Expedition 2024. Just got confirmation the trip was canceled. Has anyone heard why? No explanation was given.

We were booked for the Antarctica Expedition in Feb 2024 and got word this morning that our trip was canceled. Super curious what's going on.

We were booked for the Antarctica Expedition in Feb 2024 and got word this morning that our trip was canceled. Super curious what's going on.
I'm sorry. I'm sure you are just as disappointed as we are. The trips were completely booked with a waitlist. If you hear anything, please share.

I'm sorry. I'm sure you are just as disappointed as we are. The trips were completely booked with a waitlist. If you hear anything, please share.

I am and we are scrambling to find a replacement because we REALLY want to do this trip next winter.

I wondered what was up when I noticed last week that there were NO new Antarctica ABD trips in the 2024/2025 itineraries. I felt incredibly lucky to have snagged the last one.

I'm so sorry your trip canceled as well! It's so disappointing. What is up with ABD???

I am and we are scrambling to find a replacement because we REALLY want to do this trip next winter.

I wondered what was up when I noticed last week that there were NO new Antarctica ABD trips in the 2024/2025 itineraries. I felt incredibly lucky to have snagged the last one.

I'm so sorry your trip canceled as well! It's so disappointing. What is up with ABD???
I wish I knew. I also wish they would give an explanation with the email. The person who I spoke with didn't have an answer either. Luckily we still have California and Morocco to look forward to.

I wish I knew. I also wish they would give an explanation with the email. The person who I spoke with didn't have an answer either. Luckily we still have California and Morocco to look forward to.
Man, I am SO sorry to hear this! They cancelled my Portugal trip, supposedly due to low numbers (but it had been sold out since opening day). I never got a reasonable explanation. ABD is not good with that.

I have a friend who travels a LOT and he really likes Hurtigruten:

https://www.hurtigruten.com/en-us/expeditions/destinations/antarctica-cruises/

He did Antarctica with ABD in January 2022, and then did a Northern Light Tromso to Dover Expedition cruise with Hurtigruten a few months ago. He REALLY praised Hurtigruten, and booked another cruise with them for this year. However, he just got notification that cruise was canceled as the ship was being sent to Antarctica. I really wonder what's going on! Anyways, it might be worth looking into this company as an alternative.

This is what he's said:

I can not say enough good things about Hurtigruten. There are not enough positive adjectives to describe this totally most excellent journey.
From bottom to top and back again this has been amazing.
We are about half way through and I felt this way from day one.
The food has been spot on and fresh with great choices. Comp wine and beer with meals. Yes it flows.
The expedition team is amazing and a wealth of knowledge. Their presentations are fun, informative and very engaging.
Our ship the MS Maud is well suited for expedition cruising.
Looking forward to the next days as we sail towards Dover.

Here's a link to his blog, which he has said we are free to share:

https://soggymoosetravel.blogspot.c...d8K_Pc0cwUW7drVG7LUTEABXLd73eXEPaTzVIUgHrupH4

They don't have any Expeditions specifically marked as "Arctic", but they have a few in that Northern area.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/en-us/expeditions/campaigns/arctic-tales/

Sayhello

Man, I am SO sorry to hear this! They cancelled my Portugal trip, supposedly due to low numbers (but it had been sold out since opening day). I never got a reasonable explanation. ABD is not good with that.

I have a friend who travels a LOT and he really likes Hurtigruten:

https://www.hurtigruten.com/en-us/expeditions/destinations/antarctica-cruises/

He did Antarctica with ABD in January 2022, and then did a Northern Light Tromso to Dover Expedition cruise with Hurtigruten a few months ago. He REALLY praised Hurtigruten, and booked another cruise with them for this year. However, he just got notification that cruise was canceled as the ship was being sent to Antarctica. I really wonder what's going on! Anyways, it might be worth looking into this company as an alternative.

This is what he's said:

Here's a link to his blog, which he has said we are free to share:

https://soggymoosetravel.blogspot.c...d8K_Pc0cwUW7drVG7LUTEABXLd73eXEPaTzVIUgHrupH4

They don't have any Expeditions specifically marked as "Arctic", but they have a few in that Northern area.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/en-us/expeditions/campaigns/arctic-tales/

Sayhello
Thank you so much, Sayhello! I have a headache from researching over a dozen different Antarctica cruises/operators today, so this is truly helpful!!!

That's such a bummer. FWIW, I have a cousin who travels frequently with Classic Journeys. She's impressed by the fact that they never cancel, even with very low numbers. We did a trip to Morocco with them and it was supposed to be 12 people. It turned out to be the 3 of us - her, dh, and myself. It was basically a private tour. I can say they did a great job and I'd happily travel with them again. They don't do the poles though.

Thank you so much, Sayhello! I have a headache from researching over a dozen different Antarctica cruises/operators today, so this is truly helpful!!!
Glad to be of help! I hope it works out for you. I know how much of a bummer having a trip cancelled can be!

Sayhello

We are booked for the Arctic Expedition 2024. Just got confirmation the trip was canceled. Has anyone heard why? No explanation was given.
My guess would be not enough signups to date. When the 2024 departures were first announced, the AbD website had pricing by cabin. I don’t know when it changed but when I looked a couple of weeks ago both the 2024 Arctic and the February 2024 Antarctica had been changed to waitlist. I doubt the entire ship sold out, so suspect it was moved to Waitlist due to lower than needed signups at this point.

Purely a guess here, but they likely need a certain number of guests signed up at certain benchmark dates in advance of departure to be relatively certain there will be the number needed for the trip to be viable. The 2023. Arctic trips don’t seem to be as popular as Antarctica, because the signups have stayed open until maybe 3 weeks prior to start dates which is late as usually trips are locked farther out than that.

It is nice they are cancelling so far out, so folks have time to make alternate arrangements.

Oh that's awful, I'm so sorry! The folks for the first one are starting to leave for Norway and I am beyond excited for them - we follow on the July tour. My husband has been talking almost nonstop about it since we booked the trip last year... at this point I'm worried about what will happen if he does not in fact see a polar bear. :laughing:

I guess I would not be surprised if it were not horribly popular... the June trip was told the ship will only have 114 passengers on it when the ship holds up to 264. I need to call ABD anyway so I'm planning to ask and see if they will tell me how many folks are on the July cruise. They closed ours about as far out as they did the June trip. I highly doubt we are full either so there must be some other reason they are ceasing sales so close to sailing. I can't imagine what that would be though! Every empty cabin is lost revenue... and I'm sure there may have been some crazy enough to jump on with us when next years' was cancelled had that been an option.

I just don't get why they'd cancel it before anyone even had a chance to come back and give any reviews to boost numbers.

Oh that's awful, I'm so sorry! The folks for the first one are starting to leave for Norway and I am beyond excited for them - we follow on the July tour. My husband has been talking almost nonstop about it since we booked the trip last year... at this point I'm worried about what will happen if he does not in fact see a polar bear. :laughing:

I guess I would not be surprised if it were not horribly popular... the June trip was told the ship will only have 114 passengers on it when the ship holds up to 264. I need to call ABD anyway so I'm planning to ask and see if they will tell me how many folks are on the July cruise. They closed ours about as far out as they did the June trip. I highly doubt we are full either so there must be some other reason they are ceasing sales so close to sailing. I can't imagine what that would be though! Every empty cabin is lost revenue... and I'm sure there may have been some crazy enough to jump on with us when next years' was cancelled had that been an option.

I just don't get why they'd cancel it before anyone even had a chance to come back and give any reviews to boost numbers.
Perhaps it's due to how many Adventure Guides they would need for the trip. I'm sure there's a lot of extra training required to Guide these Expeditions, and it may just become a balance between empty cabins and adding Adventure Guides? Totally guessing here; I honestly have no clue.
I am here now. Let me know if you have any questions.
Ooo! Enjoy! Looking forward to you reporting back to us! (And let us know if the Adventure Guides have any idea about what's going on with these trips!)

Sayhello

I am here now. Let me know if you have any questions.
Top of mind is whether we’ll really go to the seed library (drive by I think is all you can do normally) or if we still need to find a private driver to go see it. I know that isn’t until you’re basically done, but I appreciate it if you’re able to drop a note! Thank you! :)

Top of mind is whether we’ll really go to the seed library (drive by I think is all you can do normally) or if we still need to find a private driver to go see it. I know that isn’t until you’re basically done, but I appreciate it if you’re able to drop a note! Thank you! :)
Will do, as I have been wondering the same thing after getting the pins for this trip.

Exactly. I can't imagine its just a quick drive by on the way back to the airport if they devoted an entire pin to it... but maybe its a really boring day? :laughing:
You’d asked in an Antarctica thread about how dark the drapes kept the cabin. Remembered your question at the hotel here in Norway, as the drapes do not close completely plus there is not much overlap. While not full midnight sun here, it is fully dark only a couple of hours each night. I don’t think it will be much more in July.

28050073-61BD-4B7B-B813-A524844B32F9.jpeg

You’d asked in an Antarctica thread about how dark the drapes kept the cabin. Remembered your question at the hotel here in Norway, as the drapes do not close completely plus there is not much overlap. While not full midnight sun here, it is fully dark only a couple of hours each night. I don’t think it will be much more in July.

View attachment 768855
I think we will have a few minutes more perhaps… Equinox is the 21st so you’ll be getting more sunlight than us! :) I hope they mark it for you somehow that day.

This is such a bummer. I was counting on doing the Antartica ABD in 2025 and the Adriatic after that. I noticed that the December Antarctica trip now says that there will be non ABD guests on the tour, so it may be a numbers problem.

Sorry late to the game here.

Thanks for sharing my blog entry. Yes a big fan of Hurtigruten. We just returned form the North Cape Express and had an amazing time. We up graded to a mini suite and ate in the upscale restaurant every night. 80% of teh menu was locally sourced and the wine pairings were spot on.

What I have learned about the ABD polar trips is basically not enough interest. My informed guess is they may offer them every other year or ever so often. Personally I preferred our trips with other operators over Ponant and ABD. I think Ponant would be different and prob better for my taste if not ABD. We are not of the typical ABD Target Demographic.

Hurtigruten did cancel a trip we had planned and offered a full refund or 25% off another cruise. We took teh 25% and will be sailing from Dover to Reykjavik next summer. I thought that was very fair of them. They were very open as to the reason for the cancellation, the ship was being moved to an Antarctic posting.

In 2025 we might do the Hurtigruten Svalbard Express. When looking at Hurtigruten understand they have 3 differnt types of offering, Costal Ferry, Costal Express and Expedition. Make sure you inderstand the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter