Are $60 buffets Disney's incentive to purchase the DDP

Yep...that's customary in Los estados unidos these days...

That's how it is...it's not really "personal choice"

...this is where SOME of us have been advocating rejecting the price increases...wonder how that relates here?
...if only i understood how percentages worked? ;)

Incorrect...Disney was never designed to be "affordable"...

However...it was built around middle class means as its core clientele...and they no longer like that.

There was something ON WTTW (PBS STATION). According to the 2010 census people earning more than middle class wages is above 5%

In Disney, yes if the tip was automatically added in. If the check had less than 18%, the percentages remain the same.

Don't know if this legal but I would be paying by credit card. I would reduce the tip and if the tip is increased I would contest the charge with the credit card company. I believe in tipping according not for the server showing up!

There was something ON WTTW (PBS STATION). According to the 2010 census people earning more than middle class wages is above 5%

That depends on the measuring stick...does it not?

If that threshold is high...then the Number is meaningless if a huge clump is far below the upper pylon...

I have a feeling that it is.

Don't know if this legal but I would be paying by credit card. I would reduce the tip and if the tip is increased I would contest the charge with the credit card company. I believe in tipping according not for the server showing up!

You're fighting the waiter with this policy when you should be fighting the rat...

Plain and simple.

I don't necessarily disagree with your premise...but here's what happens:

Disney doesn't want their waiters making a lot...they do everything to tightly control it.

But if they get "stiffed" and complain...the benevolents in the team
Disney and dwarf houses "graciously" raise prices even further to "help out" their tireless workers by bringing the average up.

It's literally the Dutch door to the consumers on rocket fuel.

You know, it's become cliched to invoke Walt, but reading what you said it struck me... How would Walt feel that his company has become well-known for gouging people for every last possible cent? I can't imagine he'd be thrilled with that reputation.
This is what WDW seems to be striving to do in the last few years: Find all the wdw specific experiences that people are most especially nostalgic nostalgic about (dining with Mickey, ice cream and wishes from a non-crowded spot, MSEP in town square, rope drop in fantasyland, late nights with low crowds, meeting villians) and up-charging the crap out of them.

You're fighting the waiter with this policy when you should be fighting the rat...

Plain and simple.

I don't necessarily disagree with your premise...but here's what happens:

Disney doesn't want their waiters making a lot...they do everything to tightly control it.

But if they get "stiffed" and complain...the benevolents in the team
Disney and dwarf houses "graciously" raise prices even further to "help out" their tireless workers by bringing the average up.

It's literally the Dutch door to the consumers on rocket fuel.

IMHO, I would rather have everything (except tax I guess) included in the cost of a meal. Why take a chance on whether the guests are willing to tip? If it costs $5 or $10 more a meal to pay everyone a reasonable wage, just tack it on. That's why I love traveling to many Asian countries. The prices I see on the menu are what I pay (some places have taxes already factored in or some even have no tax).

LAX

IMHO, I would rather have everything (except tax I guess) included in the cost of a meal. Why take a chance on whether the guests are willing to tip? If it costs $5 or $10 more a meal to pay everyone a reasonable wage, just tack it on. That's why I love traveling to many Asian countries. The prices I see on the menu are what I pay (some places have taxes already factored in or some even have no tax).

LAX
I know I will get blasted but oh well,
The big part of the problem is the US style of business, Tipping is everywhere and expected. I can carry my own bags, serve me coffee, why tip? order my lunch at any counter and tip jar?
Pay the people a fair wage, have every business do this and get away from the expected tip.
Works great for Australia, many parts of Europe. While tipping in some parts is considered rude.
I welcome the day that I don't have to finish a great meal, good time and then do the math of what the tip should be.
As well, back when I was bar tending I witnessed rude bartenders that would throw dimes and quarters back at people saying "looks like you need it more than I". Be thankful for any.
Back then as well tips were 5-7%, now we are up to 18-25%, We complain about buffet pricing, why not tipping pricing.
Ok sorry rant over.

How do you tip if you go to like a medieval times?

Never been to one.

I don't know-- what is right? Are the servers also paid performers, or are they just servers who have to put on a show? There is a big difference and I really don't know. These aren't things I attend-- I haven't gone to a character meal since they were under 20.00 because the cost is ridiculous.

I'm just raising these questions as a theoretical "what is right"..... I'm not saying what everyone should do.

They should know better. I was serving in CT since I was 18 and I always had to tip out the bartender and the bus people. We did not have runners. I am 59, so the practice has been alive for a long time. The calculations are in place in resorts like WDW as well as many other restaurants to protect the restaurant owner. They are responsible forr ensuring all tipped positions claim their gratuities, so it is generally based on the check in busy restaurants. Due to debit cards tracking is very important because an IRS audit is not pretty. Right now my job is in payroll and all my clients are small businesses, so not all of them have gratuity accounts that are in place to hold tips and then add them into paycheck a, but I will tell you that the owners are vigilent about making sure the tips are paid out accurately. We have the audits conducted in our office. Larger restaurants have the gratuity divided up automatically.

Why should the customers know better? Nobody tells them, certainly not the restaurants. Any talk at all of tipping is along the lines of "tip your server". Any discussion of tips is around the quality of that server. Just take a look at discussion of tipping on this thread or any other.

What businesses do internally is entirely irrelevant to how people actually tip and the industry clearly has no interest in changing that. In fact they use the misunderstanding to try and support the twisted internal logic in favor of tipping instead of honest billing.

Do people normally tip 20% a Disney buffets? I was a server for a very long time, so I'm a generous tipper, but I can't imagine paying $240 + 48 (tip) for an average meal.

I think people are changing the way they vacation and eventually disney will get the message. I am a disney fanatic. We take all our vacations there, I was even married at the wilderness lodge 14 years ago. Last week we took a trip and we did something we never thought we'd do....we left property and had dinner at outback steakhouse. It was our third day in and we were tired of eating mediocre quick service and the $200 price tag for dinners was quickly getting old for our family of 5. For $80 we had beer, appetizer, salad and steak. We walked in with no wait and no stress. It felt kind of naughty and very fun to be cheating on Disney. The reasonable price was magical:)
I agree with you. During our Disney trip last week, we went to Olive Garden one night. My husband said it was his best meal that week. Kids thought it was a good change as well. No wait, no crowds.

Do people normally tip 20% a Disney buffets? I was a server for a very long time, so I'm a generous tipper, but I can't imagine paying $240 + 48 (tip) for an average meal.

Yes...I believe most do. The place is nothing close to "cheap"

I will never go to a $60 buffet...that price is 20 years ahead of its time.

There's a breaking point for everything and the current Disney management has no concept of how bad it will look longer term if they "rush" to that point.

Crowds are high...true...but this is a travel boom/bubble and that has happened before. Nobody ever thinks it will break in WDW...but it inevitable will. They've had 5 such cycles there already and nobody EVER seemed to have any clue it was coming...

Never...have they come even close to this level of price exploitation that will offend the core clientele. Not even close...

When the waters recede...then the full extent will be known.

Bob Iger has compromised Disney parks long term...I have little doubts.

LAX

Why not tax as well? It's a known amount that they have to calculate anyway. As you say other countries include their sales tax up front in prices. The only reason not to do it is to pretend the price is lower than it actually is.

If money is a big issue, get a much bigger condo a mile or 2 off site for the price of a budget or moderate inside WDW and use gardengrocer.com to deliver groceries , beer and wine. Then use Uber to go back and forth. We breakfast at our 2BR deluxe condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, either do Counter service at the morning park or have lunch poolside at our Resort w our own food, then back to Epcot or another park for a nice dinner there. Looking forward to Saana on our 1 non park day.

Just curious....is it easy to obtain Uber service? What is the cost and do they charge the UBER driver for parking? Thanks.

If money is a big issue, get a much bigger condo a mile or 2 off site for the price of a budget or moderate inside WDW and use gardengrocer.com to deliver groceries , beer and wine. Then use Uber to go back and forth. We breakfast at our 2BR deluxe condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, either do Counter service at the morning park or have lunch poolside at our Resort w our own food, then back to Epcot or another park for a nice dinner there. Looking forward to Saana on our 1 non park day.

Not wanting to eat at a $60 buffet doesn't necessarily mean that a person can't afford it. Can I afford a $280 dinner? Yes...but would I? I have better things to spend my money on then some subpar food and characters. I might have taken the plunge on Chef Mickey's when it was $40 a person, but $60 a person is far far too much. (I think $40 is pushing it...but I am also aware that I am not a buffet person..I'm not a big eater at all.)

Not wanting to eat at a $60 buffet doesn't necessarily mean that a person can't afford it. Can I afford a $280 dinner? Yes...but would I? I have better things to spend my money on then some subpar food and characters. I might have taken the plunge on Chef Mickey's when it was $40 a person, but $60 a person is far far too much. (I think $40 is pushing it...but I am also aware that I am not a buffet person..I'm not a big eater at all.)

Me x 2

This has been my problem with both the buffets and the dining plan even prior to any price increases. My family doesn't eat that much and rarely does desert at all at dinner or lunch. Many days we won't do much more than toast for breakfast. In that case the buffet is terrible value for money as is the DDP.

I know there are people who eat far more than this, but I don't know how.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter