Are Canadians allowed to fly to the United States right now?

Thanks so much everyone. My sister has already decided it’s too risky for her to fly here. Too many things are changing so quickly. It was really just kind of a pipe dream anyway. She will quarantine with me and then we will visit with my family when we’re done. Our parents can drop off food for us on the deck and I will bring a bunch of groceries from home. I really feel for people who have lost loved ones and haven’t been able to have closure or visit them while they were dying. It’s been a hard 13 months. Hopefully things will be much better by this time next year. 🤞

Make sure you check the rules for importing food from the US into Canada. It may be much easier to send your sister a list of things to buy and have her get the groceries in Canada and bring them to the quarantine location.

Thanks so much everyone. My sister has already decided it’s too risky for her to fly here. Too many things are changing so quickly. It was really just kind of a pipe dream anyway. She will quarantine with me and then we will visit with my family when we’re done. Our parents can drop off food for us on the deck and I will bring a bunch of groceries from home. I really feel for people who have lost loved ones and haven’t been able to have closure or visit them while they were dying. It’s been a hard 13 months. Hopefully things will be much better by this time next year. 🤞
Remember. No fresh produce across the border. Best to check the govt website to see what’s allowed.

Remember. No fresh produce across the border. Best to check the govt website to see what’s allowed.

Actually there should be no problem bringing any and all kinds of groceries from the US to Canada. I live by the border and we used to grocery shop in the US all the time, fresh fruits included. That said, I found fruits and veggies to be usually cheaper in Canada (sales vary of course).

I don't like to bring fresh produce from Canada to the US though. Most times it's ok but the rules change constantly depending on whether there are any concerns at the time about plant pests/diseases. So I just stick to packaged foods.

If delivery doesn't work, I wonder if curbside pickup would be acceptable? That's what I have been doing for groceries since December with PC Express. I call the number, open up my trunk and the staff loads my groceries in the trunk.
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/p...virus-factsheet-self-isolation-at-home-en.pdf

While self-isolating, the only allowable reason to leave the property is "medically necessary appointments". Curbside pickup, drive through restaurant, etc. is not allowed.

Sorry - maybe I'm confused. Is this thread about the OP planning to cross the border into Canada for a family visit?

Actually there should be no problem bringing any and all kinds of groceries from the US to Canada. I live by the border and we used to grocery shop in the US all the time, fresh fruits included. That said, I found fruits and veggies to be usually cheaper in Canada (sales vary of course).

I don't like to bring fresh produce from Canada to the US though. Mosttimes it's ok but the rules change constantly depending on whether there are any concerns at the time about plant pests/diseases. So I just stick to packaged foods.
I live close to the border too and always went to TJ, and US Costco etc, but I’m fairly sure it says you aren’t allowed fresh produce to cross border. Now you’ve got me thinking so will have to look up incase things changed.

I live close to the border too and always went to TJ, and US Costco etc, but I’m fairly sure it says you aren’t allowed fresh produce to cross border. Now you’ve got me thinking so will have to look up incase things changed.

yep my ex had an apple taken at the border once . I think a lot of it depends solely on the agent and their mood at the time :)

I think you can bring produce across as long as it isn't citrus and you declare it. We shop at Wegmans a lot and have never had a problem coming back in, but are always very clear with the agent about what we've got with us.

As everyone says the rules are changing daily. Returning by air to Canada you have to Have a negative Covid test 72 hrs before entering, same by land.
But by air you also have to quarantine 3 days at a hotel for $2000, another Covid test, then 1 more before you end the 14 day quarantine. They could require this for driving across too. You may get 2-3 days notice so keep watching government web site.

Also I don’t think I’d be driving across with US plates on the car. People are getting very touchy and there are reports of cars being vandalized with out of province plates.
I’m in BC and we are in lockdown with travel prohibited outside our health region. We have the variant here pushing up numbers. I think Ontario is in a serious lockdown too. But the people here from Ontario can fill in on what their lockdown is.

Good luck. I understand the desire to see family, I have a brother, and family in the US and it really sucks right now not to be able to see them. But I think if we can hang in another 6 mos or so things will be better.
It’s not $2000. The last one was around $1275.

I think you can bring produce across as long as it isn't citrus and you declare it. We shop at Wegmans a lot and have never had a problem coming back in, but are always very clear with the agent about what we've got with us.

Whether citrus is allowed or not depends on what current pest/disease problems are happening. So during mad cow, certain beef products were not allowed https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/re...traveler-canada-fruits-veg/traveler-canada-fv

In general though (and at one point, my DH was working in the US and grocery shopped several times a week), we have had ZERO questions about groceries from US to Canada. Except one time he was warned max two cartons of eggs per person (dunno why lol) and max one turkey per person. Never been questioned on fresh fruits and veggies.

BUT travelling TO the US, we've been questioned on fresh fruits and veggies depending on the restrictions of the day.

I read an account from a US customs officer one time and it was fascinating as he explained that what is allowed/not allowed changes constantly depending on pests/diseases. But citrus has been barred for a long time. And currently also bananas, pineapples, peppers, things like chives, etc. DH gets stressed thinking about it so we just don't bring any fresh produce to the US.

Again, we have had zero issues bringing fruits and veggies back to Canada. We always tell Cdn customs we bought groceries and they don't question further.

Also good to point out you do not get taxed on groceries. I'll tell them I spent $40 on x and $150 on groceries and they won't blink an eye (most agents won't send u in to pay taxes unless you spend more than $50-100 in a daytrip). One time I was in the US and spent $200-300 on stuff so had to pay taxes at the border. Inside, the agent carefully split up my grocery receipts and didn't charge me taxes on those.

Just heard on the news the province of Ontario is asking the federal government to impose mandatory hotel quarantines for people crossing at a land border.

Like I said you need to be prepared for any changes.

Full flight out of Toronto today. Even brought the cat along. Had her papers for customs.
I’m honestly only asking out of curiosity- which airline did you fly and to where? Our last flight in December was packed with snowbirds heading south, but I’m wondering why a flight from Toronto to the US would be completely full going down at this time (coming back, I could see the same snowbirds heading home).

I’m honestly only asking out of curiosity- which airline did you fly and to where? Our last flight in December was packed with snowbirds heading south, but I’m wondering why a flight from Toronto to the US would be completely full going down at this time (coming back, I could see the same snowbirds heading home).
We have several times since this started. Myself drove once. Usually Air Canada. West jet became unreliable. This last time American Airlines to Charlotte. Then from there to Fla. .There were flights to Dallas and I think DC. Air Canada has been reliable to La Guardia and going back to Toronto from Fla locations. The Saturday flight was full of Canadians. Really it’s not that big of a deal flying out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter