Are covid shut downs coming to a town near you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:(

I was reading about that in the local news about the Thanksgiving part and was surprised at that. I'm glad they are happy about their COVID situation but what about the places the students come from and what happens without measures in place if the students come from Thanksgiving back to campus.

The metro just doesn't need any more stuff but if the college you're discussing, my alma mater and the other large college in my state don't test before sending the students home it's just not going to be good. Those 3 schools bring a lot of students from the metro.
Their Covid situation hasn't been that good at all. And it's on the rise again. They've had more than 2100 cases so far since classes started (student body of 30K). And it's back on the rise. 38 new cases just yesterday. And an announcement from the county that hospitals are getting overwhelmed. When I saw that, I got so angry. Thankfully it didn't take them long to announce a change to their plans. Still no better test availability, still no testing before returning home. But students are not returning after Thanksgiving. I can't believe it took them so long to take that one small measure.

thats what its like right now in my country and many others around the world. All non essential business closed, work from home, public transport reduced to 25% capacity, 5km limit for non essential travel, mandatory mask wearing
Recommend and legally be able to mandate at a national level are two very different things. I know people often forget about that or are unfamiliar with that. Your original comment was about that or at least seemed that way.

Even the "the government makes you wear a seatbelt" rule. At a national level the Federal government does not in fact require all people to wear seatbelts. A state may require you to but the federal government does not. The Federal government requires all vehicles must have a restraint system. Even the "the government has a legal drinking age of 21". At a national level the Federal government says the legal drinking age is 21 but a state may choose their own age in exchange for a % reduction in annual Federal highway funds (if lower than 21). Those are two common examples I've seen.

And FWIW a lot of people think questioning legalities of xyz are always a negative. It should be seen as a neutral. It's the system at work and it protects us in many ways just as there are hinderances there as well.

It didn't help that people were telling us to go to china town and it was not legal to shut off overseas traffic. Oh and those same people not wearing masks, getting hair done at shops when we weren't allowed to.

Honestly, I have had my hair cut and dyed numerous times since the pandemic, and never once took my mask off. It is very strange that people in power can't do the same (while demanding it from others).

And the whole visit to San Francisco's Chinatown to encourage tourism weeks after travel bans were set in place (again from people IN CHARGE) is why Americans are very distrustful of the powers that be from all sides.

Constant lies from everyone. Even Fauci telling us not to wear masks. It was a lie and he knew it. I am very critical and leery of all in charge. From the tip top to the very bottom. It seems everyone has an agenda.

As someone laid off due to covid I agree but for many, especially in states not hit hard by the first wave, it is going to be their first taste of our new reality. I also think this winter will be much worse for all of us, including those still trying to dig out from the first wave.

I thought that your previous post was really good, balanced and reasoned. I know certain governors and certainly individuals are looking at the new surge and trying to make those kinds of decisions. How can families get together...is that possible? How can we continue to support restaurants and their staff without risking indoor dining. Can we keep schools open, what about sports? On and on.

I think you're right that a lot of people are getting the first awful taste of what it's like to actually have the virus in their community. But we are still so, so divided. We have scientists and public health officials begging us to avoid large family gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have the people who are actually in charge... spouting off at rallies "*they're trying to take Thanksgiving and Christmas away from you!" The latter comment being completely untrue, unnecessary, really stupid and frankly, just sad.

On the news...right now, Chicago just issued a new "stay at home order" for 30 days. I would expect to see more of this. I know areas are trying to hold off for now with smaller "surgical" types of restrictions, like here in NJ. I expect that to change in many areas within a month.

From the article:
"Chicagoans are urged to leave home only for work, school, medical appointments, groceries, take-out food and pharmaceuticals."

So, go to school with 20+ kids from all different families. Sit for 8 hours a day with them. Eat lunch with them. Go home to your family, who went to work that day in a different environment. Repeat 5 days a week. On the weekends, head to the mall! Go to a germ laden doctor's office. Head back to school on Monday.

But don't have your sister over for Thanksgiving. She doesn't live in your home.

We are going into another lockdown Friday. This time though, beauty/barber shops and nail salons can stay open. Doesn't sound like much is closing other than bowling alleys/mini golf, batting cages, etc. Cafes and bars that serve food can still do so outside. church is 25% or 100 peple same with theaters
I do think for places going back into lockdown/tighter restrictions we should be learning from stuff before. What worked, what seemed to have the most effect (negative or positive), what didn't really have a significant impact (along with can that be left alone so as not to cause further disruption).

I don't want another stay at home order, I don't want businesses to be shut down or capacity reduced even without a stay at home order. But I sure do want my local officials and governor and health departments (local and state) to be reviewing the things I mentioned above if that is deemed the route to go. If we go with science we have to do that with these decisions too.

I've always wondered about limiting households for family businesses. For instance one of my sister-in-laws works with her dad (my mother-in-law also works there). They do not live together and live in two different counties and then work in mine (for a total of 3 counties). Obviously the answer is these people have exposure at work but I've wondered how that would line up with certain rules some places have like Michigan and not being out on the boat with someone who has a different address on DL's. 5 days a week they are together in the office but if they were seen on a boat they would be subject to a fine despite being relatives and having constant repeated exposure. They can take lunch together while at work during the week but no no for anything else. Goes the same for "outside of household" rules when you work with your relative.

From the article:
"Chicagoans are urged to leave home only for work, school, medical appointments, groceries, take-out food and pharmaceuticals."

So, go to school with 20+ kids from all different families. Sit for 8 hours a day with them. Eat lunch with them. Go home to your family, who went to work that day in a different environment. Repeat 5 days a week. On the weekends, head to the mall! Go to a germ laden doctor's office. Head back to school on Monday.

But don't have your sister over for Thanksgiving. She doesn't live in your home.

this is what it is like in my country, except malls and all non essential retail , hospitality, all entertainment is closed. In 3 weeks our number of cases has fallen by 50%

From the article:

The reasoning is that contact tracing has revealed that these casual in home gatherings are an issue. People probably not wearing masks, people sharing utensils or eating from community bowls, etc.

You can pretend it doesn’t make sense, but it actually does. School settings have very strict rules. People in homes don’t.

I’m in the south where you can barely get people to wear masks.

Only a very few of us are even trying to social distance any more.

If there is another lockdown, people will revolt.
Not any better up here in WI. It’s embarrassing and people are disappointing. Bars are absolutely packed every weekend with lines out the door to get in despite being probably the worst state in terms of cases and hospitalizations at this point. The governor was sued for every restriction he tried to put in place. The Tavern League sued when he tried to put capacity restrictions on bars. The legislature has refused to do any work since March. Now he has no power and his ’executive actions’ are just recommendations and the same people that complained about ‘my freedoms being taken away’ in March are making fun of him for only making unenforceable recommendations.

The reasoning is that contact tracing has revealed that these casual in home gatherings are an issue. People probably not wearing masks, people sharing utensils or eating from community bowls, etc.

You can pretend it doesn’t make sense, but it actually does. School settings have very strict rules. People in homes don’t.

This exactly, people in homes are gathering inside , in numbers, not wearing masks and not being as strict about personal hygiene. In schools and places of essential work, everyone is on high alert, but families say oh thats my family I trust them. Time and again, country after country, the issue is community spread and clusters when families gather. Thats why in countries all over the world, households can not mix and things like Halloween trick or treating or Thanksgiving or Christmas are cancelled but schools can remain open.

This exactly, people in homes are gathering inside , in numbers, not wearing masks and not being as strict about personal hygiene. In schools and places of essential work, everyone is on high alert, but families say oh thats my family I trust them. Time and again, country after country, the issue is community spread and clusters when families gather. Thats why in countries all over the world, households can not mix and things like Halloween trick or treating or Thanksgiving or Christmas are cancelled but schools can remain open.

And I am willing to sacrifice all gatherings if we can keep school open. It’s the most important thing for us right now.

Who's pretending?

School settings have strict rules, but kids will be kids.

And as a responsible adult, I am very aware that I can't share communal dishes. I have a gorgeous outdoor sitting area that can host my sister in a socially distanced manner.

The people in charge that make these demands of who to have in your own home should instead be laying out guidelines of how to safely host. If you can't safely host, then don't.

But there is a way to do it in a safe manner.

In schools and places of essential work, everyone is on high alert...

Our local school district didn't even supply basic cleaning supplies to our teachers. And the budget didn't allow for extra custodial staff. No high alert here. But other districts are doing much better, from what I have heard.

And I am willing to sacrifice all gatherings if we can keep school open. It’s the most important thing for us right now.
I think looking back schools should have been prioritized. A lot of people were thinking everyone was crazy to have schools open with spread concerns. Turns out nope. The arguments for decline in education would have been greatly helped if our schools had been more prioritized IMO.

I thought that your previous post was really good, balanced and reasoned. I know certain governors and certainly individuals are looking at the new surge and trying to make those kinds of decisions. How can families get together...is that possible? How can we continue to support restaurants and their staff without risking indoor dining. Can we keep schools open, what about sports? On and on.

I think you're right that a lot of people are getting the first awful taste of what it's like to actually have the virus in their community. But we are still so, so divided. We have scientists and public health officials begging us to avoid large family gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have the people who are actually in charge... spouting off at rallies "*they're trying to take Thanksgiving and Christmas away from you!" The latter comment being completely untrue, unnecessary, really stupid and frankly, just sad.

On the news...right now, Chicago just issued a new "stay at home order" for 30 days. I would expect to see more of this. I know areas are trying to hold off for now with smaller "surgical" types of restrictions, like here in NJ. I expect that to change in many areas within a month.

Just to clarify - Chicago is not an order. It's an advisory and that is quite different.

And mostly it's about trying to stop gatherings on Thanksgiving and that is the only way they know how I suppose.

I’m in the south where you can barely get people to wear masks.

Only a very few of us are even trying to social distance any more.

If there is another lockdown, people will revolt.

They will...and that's why it's not going to happen. The new administration knows this, and that's why it won't happen. They'll model mask wearing and conduct themselves in a manner that in and of itself will be reassuring to millions of us. At this point....I'll take it. Too much damage has already been done on the messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter