Are Excursions Necessary??

On any vacation, I've never felt that excursions were necessary. I have looked around to see if there are any sights that I want to see, and then bounced that off the cost and what I would be otherwise doing. And after a few excursions with kids, we moved to the don't-pay-extra camp. I think it was wasting a couple hundred dollars on a whale watch that turned me off. I've generally found that I've enjoyed myself more staying put and not spending the money.

FMMV, and each destination is different. But when you are paying for a premier experience, like a great all-inclusive resort or a Disney Cruise, it would take quite the excursion to pull me away.

Thanks for all the great ideas you guys? For a Blue Lagoon trip, is there only a boat there in the morning and one back in the afternoon or do they have boats that run all day? For example, if we get over there and are ready to come back after a few hours?

For what it's worth, fewer people seem to be getting off the ship in Nassau these days. We stayed onboard last time around and it was like a slightly less crowded sea day. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time and enjoyed spending an extra day on the ship... But if you choose not to go ashore in Nassau don't do it with the expectation that you'll have the ship to yourselves.

Re: Blue Lagoon, there are multiple boats back to the port. Can't recall much about how often they depart, but the ride was a lot of fun.

Hey everyone, next April will be our first Disney Cruise and my wife and son's first cruise ever! Are the shore excursions necessary? Isn't there plenty to do on Nassau or Castaway Cay without having to pay extra? I just don't want to spend the extra money if we can find stuff to do that isn't extra. We would just probably want to go snorkeling, hang out in the water and on the beach. Thanks in advance!

We have yet to do an excursion. There is SOOOOOOO much to do on the ship, that we don't even get off at Nassau. The excursions on CC look great, but honestly, we love exploring the island on our own. You will be happy either way, but we have enjoyed skipping excursions on the Bahamas cruise.

what to do in Nassau if of the 'no excursion' persuasion but heck .... first time there ... I should see SOMETHING!!!!

get off the ship and after you exit the port terminal buildings ... not to far outside you will spot a line of horse drawn coaches. these will do city tours. Price is NEGOTIABLE so don't just take their first offering. Negotiate length of city tour versus price (30 to 45 minutes is PLENTY) AND ask to end the tour at the Pirate Museum. This museum is just a few blocks from the ship and is a good place for a young boy altho our daughter liked it too. You can kill 2 hours here or more or less but IMO it IS worth a stop for a first time visitor (Google it). When done you can walk back to the ship .... just a few blocks (get one of the free maps). Walking back down the main shopping street and you'll pass the 'straw market'. Visit or skip ... your choice, but you saw it anyway!! There are plenty of places to stop for a drink or a snack if you want ... or the walk will take 20 minutes or so to get back and enjoy the rest of the day on the ship .... and you CAN say, you've seen Nassau

First time we went to Nassau we did the Atlantis Paradise Island excursion. Fun but expensive. This last time, the kids stayed on the ship with friends they made in the kids clubs (we have teens and pre-teens), and my husband and I did our own walking tour around Nassau, though it was Boxing Day and a lot of stuff was closed. We strolled by Junkanoo Beach, walked up the hill to Fort Fincastle which was cool, and walked down the Queen's stairs. We browsed a bit downtown then went back to the ship for lunch. I also would suggest going to the straw market, tasting chocolates at Graycliff, tasting rum cakes at the local bakery, and visiting John Watling's distillery.

Also, on our last cruise, high winds caused all water adventures to be cancelled at Castaway Cay. So we just rented some inner tubes and floated on the beach, took a break and read on the loungers. It still was a fun day. Guard your inner tube though - they walk off if you are not watching.

We like to stay on the ship while at Nassau. There is plenty to do onboard. A lot of people stay on the ship.

On CC we like to swim, sit on the beach and eat. If I had littles I would bring some sand toys for them to play with. There is also shaded areas w/ activities on CC. It is all free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter