Are most people still downsizing?

We downsized, but did it 9 years ago when the market wasn't so crazy. If it were today, I would continue to stay in my home, but start with purging things we no longer needed/used in anticipation of downsizing at a later date.
I'm just wading into serious decluttering, but it's very satisfying! The house feels bigger.

We're not ready to plan for downsizing, though, as we're not even sure where we'll eventually end up. I think it depends on care for our parents and whether we eventually have grandkids.

No chance of us ever moving. No need to downsize cause we only have 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Unfortunately our bedroom is upstairs and the bathroom is downstairs. I’m 60, my husband is 67. We bought a fold out bed that looks just like a big dresser. Has fake drawers and you’d never guess it opens up to a queen size bed with a really nice memory foam mattress. So if it ever comes to the point where we just can’t sleep upstairs anymore with no bathroom, we’ll have a bed downstairs. Right now our 3 granddaughters love it.
I am looking for something like you describe for the flex room in the house we are building, not for us as we are building a house all on one level, with accessibility features like a frameless no step shower. I would like the fold out be thing though for when more than one of our offspring visits or with grandkids someday. Thanks.

I am looking for something like you describe for the flex room in the house we are building, not for us as we are building a house all on one level, with accessibility features like a frameless no step shower. I would like the fold out be thing though for when more than one of our offspring visits or with grandkids someday. Thanks.

This is the one we have -- cabinet bed in cherry (got it from a different company, though). It's gorgeous, and I love that the room isn't taken up with a made-up bed that's used only (maybe) once or twice a year. It's super heavy, but once it's in, it's great. I'm actually thinking of getting one for DD's room now that she only comes home for holidays. The twin bed is just in the way all the time now.

https://www.wallbedsbywilding.com/p...s=cherry&attribute_pa_flip-up-nightstand=no#/
94897123393a1060dfc87d38266bfdde.Clover-Murphy-Cabinet-Cherry-1.jpg

Yep. We never bought into the McMansion thing either, but our old fixer-upper Victorian feels like a lot of space now that it is just three of us and borders on ridiculous for just DH & I. Plus it has a few things I don't like that I can't easily fix, like all the bedrooms and the only full bath being upstairs; that was a necessary evil for getting the size/bedrooms we needed with all the kids still living at home, but isn't well suited to aging in place.

I wouldn't move somewhere my dog(s) couldn't come too, though I don't know that we'll continue to adopt new animals once DD14 is off to college because I'm away so much. But I'm also a gardener so downsizing for us was always a question of a smaller single-family home with a smaller yard but not a condo or townhouse because my own outdoor space and a certain amount of freedom to do as I wish with it is an absolute must.

A lot of condos and townhomes have outdoor space where you can garden. It has a very broad meaning nowadays. I live in a condo. It has a pretty extensive wraparound outdoor patio surrounded by lots of rose bushes, citrus trees, sago palms, birds of paradise, etc. We have our Weber grill and a table and chairs with umbrella, and there is PLENTY of space if I wanted to do a container style garden, I just am not good at that. We also have our own four walls. It's essentially a standalone house, but has a shared motorcourt style driveway. I think it's a great compromise between a large house with a yard and an attached condo.

A lot of condos and townhomes have outdoor space where you can garden. It has a very broad meaning nowadays. I live in a condo. It has a pretty extensive wraparound outdoor patio surrounded by lots of rose bushes, citrus trees, sago palms, birds of paradise, etc. We have our Weber grill and a table and chairs with umbrella, and there is PLENTY of space if I wanted to do a container style garden, I just am not good at that. We also have our own four walls. It's essentially a standalone house, but has a shared motorcourt style driveway. I think it's a great compromise between a large house with a yard and an attached condo.
My MIL lived in a detached condo for over 20 years. She got to pick the layout--it was new construction. She went with a cape, so she'd have the upstairs for guests, but could (and did) live on one floor. She had a deck, 2-car garage--pretty much anything she could want. When she got older, she added a ramp inside the garage. There was a community pool with pool house for events, and the company took care of all outside maintenance, including plowing her driveway. The only thing I thought was odd was, each little street had to have all the houses the same color. All vinyl siding, but she had to have tan. The street next to hers, they were all light blue, and so forth. MIL was very happy with living there.

This is the one we have -- cabinet bed in cherry (got it from a different company, though). It's gorgeous, and I love that the room isn't taken up with a made-up bed that's used only (maybe) once or twice a year. It's super heavy, but once it's in, it's great. I'm actually thinking of getting one for DD's room now that she only comes home for holidays. The twin bed is just in the way all the time now.

https://www.wallbedsbywilding.com/p...s=cherry&attribute_pa_flip-up-nightstand=no#/
This is ours that we had custom built by Amish. I love it! 24D93A17-3545-45A9-BDBE-5E714988295A.jpeg

No plans to downsize, even though our house is pretty big. It was originally a ranch, so there's a second master on the first floor. And the upstairs master is huge, something like 1200 square feet, and could easily be a caretaker apartment if needed.

We do need to update 2 of the downstairs bathrooms, including enlarging their narrow doors, and we plan to convert the 2nd MBA tub/ shower to a walk-in shower with a seat. We would keep the tub in the other downstairs bathroom that has one.

We like our space. And one-level living would be very achievable where we are.
LOL at "pretty big" with a master bedroom being 193 square foot larger than our entire 3 bedroom with 4 people house.

Exactly what I was looking for. I think the one I was looking at is called the Clover made by Night and day. It comes in some very nice finishes too. Thanks for the link. This one looks very well made.

That, I think I'd like. I have downsized my gardens since the kids moved out - I used to have six 4x20 raised beds, but the wood was starting to rot so when we rebuilt last year I radically changed the layout and design to give me five 5' round metal beds (using oversized metal fire rings) situated around a 6th ring that is the new fire pit. Lower upkeep, since the area around them is sand and pea stone instead of grass paths, and a nice place to relax since we left enough space for seating as well. But projects like that are the other piece of why I'm starting to suspect we might not downsize - by the time we're ready to move, we'll finally have this house just how I like it and I'm not sure I'll want to start over!

This is ours that we had custom built by Amish. I love it! View attachment 736483

Exactly what I was looking for. I think the one I was looking at is called the Clover made by Night and day. It comes in some very nice finishes too. Thanks for the link. This one looks very well made.

I had to Google a video of someone converting one of these to a bed, because I'd never seen anything like it. How fabulous!

I had to Google a video of someone converting one of these to a bed, because I'd never seen anything like it. How fabulous!

It really is fantastic. I love having our office a true office until someone comes and stays over (very seldom!). We've gotten compliments on how comfortable the bed is as well. It's a quality piece of furniture.

Really love the Amish one, though. Never thought of having one made.

by the time we're ready to move, we'll finally have this house just how I like it and I'm not sure I'll want to start over!
Man does this hit home!

It was unseasonably warm here yesterday, I came home to my husband and the dogs standing in the field between the house and the old barn looking out over the yard. I got out of the car and asked him what he was doing, he said he was "Contemplating what projects to get into this spring".

For all of us who are getting ready to be or already are empty nesters, do you plan to downsize?
No, we are using the two kids' bedrooms as an office and guest room. I now am officially a remote employee and have to work somewhere. Besides, I hate moving. Also, our house is slightly smaller than the state average and a good deal smaller than the national average.

Last edited:
We have five bedrooms and a loft. Our adult daughter lives with us. I would never downsize because I could not stand the stress of moving.

4000 sq ft to 1200. I only miss closets and I detest my back yard neighbors. Good fences make good neighbors, though.

My neighbors on both sides are elderly and downsized. I love them. They make the best neighbors!!

LOL at "pretty big" with a master bedroom being 193 square foot larger than our entire 3 bedroom with 4 people house.
If it makes you feel better, our previous house (in New Hampshire) was less than half the size. And this one cost less than 10% more than the NH one. We got a good deal on it because it needed updating--we didn't care so much; with 4 kids, it's going to look crappy, no matter what. We've since put in a new deck, new pool fence, new kitchen, new master bath, updated the family room, and have a long list of things to be done.

That said, this house was originally owned by the guy who built the development, so there are lots of closets and outlets, it's well-located (walking distance to a school, backs up to a golf course), and has good bones. Along the way, it was owned by a couple who started an upscale window company, so all the windows are fancy.

For all of us who are getting ready to be or already are empty nesters, do you plan to downsize?

We are not “empty” yet, but getting close. We live in Massachusetts in a 4 bedroom New England colonial with a large yard we built in 2000. We have been talking about whether or not to downsize but in looking at what is available and for what prices things are, we have pretty much to decided to stay put for at least several more years. We just can’t see the value in buying something a lot smaller for more money to stay in the same area. We also don’t want to relocate far because we have lots of family here.

We ran into an old friend yesterday who was telling us they are done with the big house and want to downsize and have been actively searching, but there is nothing to downsize to. Most of the properties are in need of renovations and cost more than to stay where they already are.

I am guessing we are not alone and that this also plays into the real estate market. With people deciding to stay put, there are less houses for others to move up to.

So others in a similar position, are you planning to downsize?
We ran into that her in north Texas. Found a perfect house, smaller which was good but basically the same price for what we would sell our current home for. And with closing costs, moving costs etc…we felt it wasn’t worth it.

Our house is about 2100sq.ft., built in 1912. Three bedrooms, two full baths, laundry room, LR, DR, kitchen, family room, full walk-up attic, basement, "extra" room in basement. House was originally a "box" and prior owners added on, so the MBr w/bath, family room, and spare room in basement are all about 15X25. It's plenty of space and we were glad to have the extra space when DD, SIL, and his 6yo needed a place to live (their rent went to more than my mortgage, plus utilities). We still have about 11 years on the mortgage (we are 66 and 62, both still working). We have a small, in-town lot (< 2/10ths of an acre), but that still means mowing, raking, gardening, and of course, snow removal from the 3 car driveway. We are not sure about downsizing, given the market, although a condo with no outdoor maintenance sounds more and more attractive. There are a couple of issues with staying in the house. The basement room has its own thermostat (radiant heat), the family room and MBr are on another thermostat (radiant heat), and the rest of the house has its own thermostat (old hot water radiators) so it's not possible to turn down the heat in rooms not being used. Also, both bathrooms are on the second floor. It is feasible to think the dining room can be renovated to a bathroom/laundry/closet area and we could use the living room as a bedroom, but at our ages we don't really want to take on the cost of renovation. Same with renovating the basement spare room; although there is plumbing down there, we'd need to put in a bathroom, laundry room, and kitchen if we were to make it an IL-apartment and sell the house to DD/SIL. I am not sure what we will do, but I have already started sorting and pitching. With a house already full of furniture and then adding 3 people and 2 apartments-worth of stuff, we are crowded and it makes me anxious. Not sure what the future will hold, but our house has gained over $200K in value since we bought it so hoping that if we decide to sell and the market holds, we'll be able to rent or get into a condo without too much additional cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter