Are My Expectations Realistic?

XTinabell

DIS Veteran
Like many, I'm planning my first trip back since covid. This time I'm going with my small kids (4&5), I've never been with kids so this is all going to be new territory. Basically, our plan is to let our littles decide what to do and when (with some structure of course). My dh and I have been to the parks so many times that we aren't going to be sobbing if we don't ride Space Mountain, Indy or eat at Blue Bayou. We're happy to ride the train around the park on repeat, stop for an ice cream break, meet the characters, and then maybe get on Dumbo. So my question is, is that realistic with the new Disneyland structure? Is it possible to slow down and enjoy? We did get Genie+ in case our kids are feeling brave to check out some of the bigger rides but I keep reading that you can't just wing the park anymore. Any advice?

Of course it is still possible. All our days are wing it days, based off of our kids or our priorities that day. I recently did a low key visit with my 3-year old nephew and it was a blast! G+ is still very beneficial for things like Autopia, Small World, Buzz, etc.

People will always like to complain and lament that things are not like the past, and IMO part of it is simply FOMO because there is *so much more* to do. The magic and joy is absolutely still there - I have no advice other than keep your chill attitude and enjoy the parks through your kiddos eyes. Have a great trip!

IMHO its better to be flexible with little kids than have a rigid plan. But I also think that winging it is a valid way to do the parks lol. I would try to have a basic plan ( ie do Fanstasyland first, then Toontown or whatever you want to do) and be open to change. But I'm also the crazy person who went to DL and didn't use their app at all :) Hope you have a wonderful day with your kiddos!

Your approach is exactly what we’ve taken now that we go with our DD, and I think it’s the best approach. She’s 6 now, but her first trip was at 2 7/8, then 3, then 5 and 6. The first trips were easy to wing it - she had no real preference, and we kind of avoided the really long waits. Later trips it was important to set expectations (“well honey, they only can let each family ride ROTR one time per day…”), but otherwise, pretty easy to use G+ to plan for her “must ride” rides, and still do lots of things on repeat.

The one thing I would recommend remembering to properly plan for is meal time and break/nap time. It’s easy to get caught up in other things and then realize you’re 30 min past lunch time, stuck in a 30 minute queue, and everyone’s getting grumpy. By the time you’re done with the ride, and manage to get some food (which will have to be whatever is quick, and not necessarily what everyone wanted), things may be in full crisis mode.

I actually think this is the best attitude to go in with, rather than the "MUST SEE AND DO EVERYTHING" style of touring. You have realistic expectations, and you're okay with relaxing and taking things in and making sure the kids are happy, rather than trying to race around the entire park to do every single thing. You can definitely have a great day with that all in mind!

When my kids were that age, we took a very relaxed approach, but always gave some options/structure. Totally open-ended “what do you want to do?” questions were too overwhelming.

We have spent A LOT of time on the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail and I had to remind myself the trip was for the kids, not me.

What worked for us around souvenirs is to ONLY buy things on the last day. We could look early, but not buy until the last day. (We only had kids pick out one toy- usually a big one.)

Have fun!

I actually think this is the best attitude to go in with, rather than the "MUST SEE AND DO EVERYTHING" style of touring. You have realistic expectations, and you're okay with relaxing and taking things in and making sure the kids are happy, rather than trying to race around the entire park to do every single thing. You can definitely have a great day with that all in mind!
This, 100% - I feel like so much of the negative experiences are because of unrealistic expectations that there will be: no lines, no waits, you will be able to do *everything* and everything in the order you want to do it. I especially feel this with regard to G+, it is not an unlimited fast pass people!

Genie+ includes kid-friendly rides such as:

Small World
Autopia
Buzz Lightyear
Haunted Mansion
Toy Story Midway Mania
Monsters Inc
Webslingers

Plus some “medium” kid rides like:

Star Tours
Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run
Soarin Around the World
Goofy’s Sky School

Genie+ includes kid-friendly rides such as:

Small World
Autopia
Buzz Lightyear
Haunted Mansion
Toy Story Midway Mania
Monsters Inc
Webslingers

Plus some “medium” kid rides like:

Star Tours
Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run
Soarin Around the World
Goofy’s Sky School
And with little ones, being able to ”walk on” those rides is gold! I took a video of my nephew running up the LL ramp at Autopia in utter joy while people were standing in the blazing heat standby. Too often we think of G+ for just the headliners.

Yes, you can do all of that. And you don't need G+
I went in November with my two small kids, didn't get G+, it was very busy we rode everything multiple times a day.
We didn't do the "big rides" because we've done them over and over before, this trip was about the kids and doing things we could all enjoy together.

We would stop for an hour or more at a time, just having a snack, talking to CM's, getting pixie dust in our hair etc.

You'll have a great time, stop to enjoy the little things - they are still there!

You HAVE to be flexible with kids that young.... took my son first time when he was 5. He was more interested in the hotel pool than going to the parks. We had a good time, but tiredness is a major factor that young and be careful of a 'scary' attraction that may put them off wanting to go on other rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter