Are private messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doesney

*sigh*
really private? I have reason to believe otherwise and I am hoping that either a mod or webmaster/mistress will post a definitive answer.

As always, I look forward to a reply.

I dont believe anything on the internet is private. I know work emails are not private, and I believe the disboards is part of the vb systems, in which the owners, webmasters, et el do have access to PM's -

I thought this was common knowledge on any message board... back with my first message board ivillage - it was known that pm's werent "private" but not all the moderators had access to PM's, just a 'select" few...

Nope, PM's aren't private. They can be and are read by mods/webmaster.

I heard that they weren't private either. I've never pmed anything that couldn't probably be googled anyway.

PMs go into the database along with everything else. Anyone with access rights can read them.

Silly me then. I would never have though that mods would read messages intended for others. Boy is my my face crimson.

Silly me then. I would never have though that mods would read messages intended for others. Boy is my my face crimson.

Well shoot now that your already embarrassed you might as well spill the beans and let us all in on it....:rolleyes1

I always thought they were private but I hear otherwise lately.

Why do you think they aren't? (I mean, not you heard it from someone else, but did something happen to make you think otherwise?)

Why, even if they could, would the WM want to read PM's? I just can't see them having the time for that. I seriously doubt every post is read, so how they make time to read PM's.

As far as I know.. they are private... count me in as one mod who can only read her own private messages. So... the mods cannot read others' private messages.....and I believe the webmasters cannot either..

I dont think this message board is any different from other ones. I know my other mommy boards can read my PM's and I just recently realized this. It depends which system your part of. I am not a computer person but that is what I was told. Lets hope they are left private though as the term Private Message means just that.

The only reason I know is because I was made a mod on a board and gained access to that but never use it.

On a vbulletin tech board, I read that certain Admins (or webmasters, not moderators) can have ability to read PMs if install a little hacking type download to their board. So, yes, it is possible if they want to do it.

Not all message boards have this ability but vbulletin boards do. DIS is a vbulletin board.

Doesney seriously...

Hi, I'm Mr. WM, YES, I am going to tell you on the CB that I can read your messages. That won't cause anarchy at ALL. :lmao:

3 2 1.... :surfweb:

Nana's 3rd rule of proper etiquette (and it translates nicely to the web):

Never say anything that you wouldn't want published.

Robin....c'mon, you were a moderator here, did you read other's private messages?????? If so, you had powers that none of us have.. :)

I can't read anyone's PMs(other than my own) but I can read tea leaves. Does that count for anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter