• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are Resale Points becoming useless?

There is still about a $400/yr savings available to non Florida resident DVC blue card members on APs.....

Haven't heard anything about them canceling the Disneyland Tower. I know it hasn't been officially announced, but from everything I've heard is that it's very likely to be built....
Fair point, I meant building more DVC resorts in Florida.

I’ve also thought that for price difference of resale vs direct if you did get locked out of resort you wanted you likely could use rental market to book new resort and rent out your points to pay for it. Given it’s a two way street where resale riviera and future resorts owners can only use at their locations I think trade may even be favorable for resale owners of O14 vs new resort resale owners.

RIV is selling fine. As much as properties before the restriction? No - though with Covid, it's really hard to do a direct comparison. If they were stressed about sales I think there would be deeper discounts and price staying the same not increasing. As far as theme, some people don't want it every location to scream Disney and most DVC properties don't jump out with IP. How is Beach Club for instance more Disney themed? Many frequent European travelers on the boards have shown great love for the authentic feel which was meant to represent Walt's travels and I love the unique artwork. Obviously it's not some people's cup of tea for style but that's the great thing about the wide variety for DVC properties.

What is your reaction?
Do you know how many resorts you can use your resale points at? Many more than the resorts we can't use. We actually have older resale points (pre-2016 restrictions). With the high point cost for Riv rooms I don't think i would actually want to use my points at Riv. Resale points still have lots of life left - even the early expiration resorts of 2042 have 20 years left.

Talking with the Timeshare resale store yesterday, I was shocked to hear that resale points cannot be used at Riviera resort or any new resort that Disney develops. This evidently was announced some time ago and I missed it being buried under the covers while waiting out the pandemic. What is your reaction?
This only applies to resale points purchased after the rule went into effect. So if you purchased resale years ago those point could be used at Riviera. Overall I am not a fan of the resale restrictions. Resale owners at Riviera can only use their points at Riviera. For us, it means we can only use some of our points at Riviera so it does make things a bit more challenging if we want to stay there. We need to make sure we have points from the right contacts to do it. It was enough to keep up from considering buying there, at least for now.

The way it's been looking lately, if you don't own at Riviera you may have a difficult time booking there in the future anyways resale or not. This resort will sell out and IMO, it won't be as open as it has been lately. I do believe in "buy where you want to stay" The only way I would consider resale is if it were exactly what I was looking for and at the right price.

This is old news, maybe 2-3 years now. No big deal, Riv is NOT on my list to ever go to. and there is nothing new coming for many years if ever. I think DVC and Disney are on a major down turn.
Zero interest in RiV either, bookable or not. Only non home resorts that I sometimes check at 7 months are Poly, BC & BLT. When we head to DL I try there, such a difficult grab for a studio tho. Only secured a few times. Generally just book DL hotel direct

Even if any of the above FL resorts are available, typically don’t bother flipping anyway as often more points

Our resale points originally purchased to flush out direct sales. AK all we own is resale

OP it depends on how you want to try to utilize your resale points as to whether they would be a good option for you to purchase.

I’ll trot out the adage: buy where you want to stay.

will add that, even then, it’s been more than a bit challenging lately. There are just so many people, flush with banked covid points, all vying to secure reservations this year

Yeah, we could book RIV (our points are resale, but so old we are blue card), but I don't have an interest in it either. The point chart is WAY out of whack - I just don't have the points to waste over there - and I don't see why I would when we own Boardwalk and RIV feels like the "so you can't get into BCV or BWV but you still want access to Epcot" resort. I spent enough time in Europe that if I want "authentic European theming," I'll get that in Europe. And as other resorts open, I doubt we will use points there either. For WDW, BWV is fine for all our stays.

I suspect that those of us who have owned for twenty years really don't care TOO much about new resorts. We bought into a system with less than five resorts on site - and no promise of more. Its nice to have options, but I think the old timers use them a lot less.

Yeah, we could book RIV (our points are resale, but so old we are blue card), but I don't have an interest in it either. The point chart is WAY out of whack - I just don't have the points to waste over there - and I don't see why I would when we own Boardwalk and RIV feels like the "so you can't get into BCV or BWV but you still want access to Epcot" resort. I spent enough time in Europe that if I want "authentic European theming," I'll get that in Europe. And as other resorts open, I doubt we will use points there either. For WDW, BWV is fine for all our stays.

I suspect that those of us who have owned for twenty years really don't care TOO much about new resorts. We bought into a system with less than five resorts on site - and no promise of more. Its nice to have options, but I think the old timers use them a lot less.

Agreed - the point chart for RIV sure is high. I have a feeling it's the norm going on. I'm always intrigued why people don't comment on the high point charts of some other DVC resorts like Grand Floridian or Grand Californian. I sure do love BCV and BWV - it's hard to beat the walkability if nothing else. Though since we just bought in, the expiration date just doesn't make sense for us to own there. And likewise, I spend a lot of time every year at the beach so already get that. I need more European trips! I also love towers for the ease of getting everywhere in a/c haha.

Agreed - the point chart for RIV sure is high. I have a feeling it's the norm going on. I'm always intrigued why people don't comment on the high point charts of some other DVC resorts like Grand Floridian or Grand Californian.
VGC and AUL owner here - we always think it's cheap staying at WDW :)

Don't have any worries for existing contracts going stale. Now it's intriguing to see how RIV sales will get a bump when the new DL tower opens with tons of studio available but only under the new contract availability. I can see DL tower opening at $250 pp easily.

VGC and AUL owner here - we always think it's cheap staying at WDW :)

Don't have any worries for existing contracts going stale. Now it's intriguing to see how RIV sales will get a bump when the new DL tower opens with tons of studio available but only under the new contract availability. I can see DL tower opening at $250 pp easily.
We own at Riviera and Grand Cal so many of the other point charts seem like a bargain rather than where we own seeming high.
excited for DLTower and I think you’re right - could even be higher. Would like to get more Grand Cal points but saving for Tower first. Will it be in the middle of a new Disneyland Foward expansion / third gate or alternate entrances to existing parks? Time will tell. Very exciting to dream though and again… love me a tower :).

I bought in when many considered OKW a preferable place to stay over BWV.
In fact a friend tried to convince me to buy at OKW. Fortunately I went with my instinct and bought BWV and HH, and Vero and then BCV.

In hindsight, wish I had double of BWV and HH and can live without the other two. Lets face it - I can stay Vero with any points and occasionally get BCV with any points for a day or so here and there. At WDW I'm happy at BWV, and will also book something on the monorail if I feel like it.

The rooms at Riviera are lovely. But, I can't get excited by the rest of the package. It feels hemmed in, small and restricting to me. Like a box.

The rooms at Riviera are lovely. But, I can't get excited by the rest of the package. It feels hemmed in, small and restricting to me. Like a box.
That's kinda been the feel I get. It's hemmed in by the Skyliner, Buena Vista Drive, and CBR. Is there another DVC resort that close to a major street?

That's kinda been the feel I get. It's hemmed in by the Skyliner, Buena Vista Drive, and CBR. Is there another DVC resort that close to a major street?

I agree, I prefer resorts that are within walking distance of a park (I know - Lazy!).

I do believe in "buy where you want to stay"
I can’t emphasize this piece of advice enough! We could use our BCV or VGF points at RIV but honestly after we were stuck on the skyliner the week they opened I am not staying at a skyliner resort anytime soon. We can’t use our resale BLT points at RIV but will be perfectly happy using them at BLT or poly bungalows or CCV cabins. We bought BLT for about 60% of direct and are so glad we did!

I agree, I prefer resorts that are within walking distance of a park (I know - Lazy!).
I lean towards WL because it's not within walking distance or on the Monorail or Skyliner, but it's conversely not as far off as SSR, OKW, or even AKL. Kinda the Goldilocks distance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter