Are "sparklers" dangerous?

I am afraid of sparklers but only because my older brother thought it was fun to get as close as he could to me and burn me when we were younger. I do let my kids play with them but my husband or father supervises them. My brother and I were total pyros and we played with bottle rockets, fire crackers, Roman candles, just about all of them. They only thing that I am afraid of is sparklers.

Some parents just don't want their kids playing with fire of any kind.
This is a very logical desire, IMO.

If my kid wasn't hurt, I may have felt mildly annoyed but I never would have said anything.
When my youngest dd was three years old, my mother-in-law handed her a sparkler without checking with me first. I started walking towards my daughter to help her, and before I got to her she started screaming. She was burned very badly on her arm (she still has the scar and she's seven now). I was LIVID. I remember ranting to my dh, "Who gives a 3-year-old a stick of fire?"
So, because we've had a bad experience, I tend to say no when my kids have a chance to use sparklers.

My uncle permitted me to play with them when I was about 8-10 years old. He was right there supervising me the whole time. I got burned a few times but never seriously. They sure hurt though. Guess I thought they were worth it. I would never pass them out at a party to other people's kids unless it was a very small group of kids and their parents had given me permission.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter