Are the 3 day cruises on the Dream worth it?

bunnm09

Mouseketeer
wife turns 30 next year and I was browsing the DCL site and noticed there is a 3 day cruise on the Dream over her birthday. What makes it real special is castaway day day is on her birthday itself, I can’t imagine a better way to turn 30 than on that island!

But my question is, it’s kind of pricey for just 3 days. For people on here who have done the short cruises, did you find them to be worth the money? I’d love to surprise her with this but am worried we will feel rushed once on board since it seems time is pretty limited

One other thing to factor is we’ve done the Fantasy and the Magic but really want to do the Dream next so this seems like a pretty good excuse to do it

wife turns 30 next year and I was browsing the DCL site and noticed there is a 3 day cruise on the Dream over her birthday. What makes it real special is castaway day day is on her birthday itself, I can’t imagine a better way to turn 30 than on that island!

But my question is, it’s kind of pricey for just 3 days. For people on here who have done the short cruises, did you find them to be worth the money? I’d love to surprise her with this but am worried we will feel rushed once on board since it seems time is pretty limited

One other thing to factor is we’ve done the Fantasy and the Magic but really want to do the Dream next so this seems like a pretty good excuse to do it

I like longer cruises more, but celebrating your birthday on CC sounds great. I have sailed on the Dream twice and enjoyed both trips. Can you combine with some days at WDW to get you a longer holiday overall?

Yeah I think if we did this I’d add at least one day at WDW on to the front or back of the cruise

When looking to do my 1st Disney cruise I decided to do the 4 days on the Disney Dream and it was wonderful anything less would have been short for me and my family.

Our first cruise was 3 nights on the Dream in August. Everyone always says that anything less than 4 nights isn't worth it, particularly for first-timers, but it was totally satisfying for us. It doesn't take us long to get into "vacation mode," and we felt no obligation to try and see or do everything available. We were there to have quality time with and without DS, relax on the verandah, experience the ship and Castaway Cay, and eat at Remy, and 3 nights was enough time to do some of all of that. It was devastating to have to leave, but I know I'd feel that way at the end of a Panama Canal cruise as well. :teeth: Our next cruise will be 7 nights on the Fantasy, which is obviously better, but we wouldn't hesitate to do another three-nighter.

I think it'll be a great birthday trip! You could always tack on some days at Disney if you want to make it a longer vacation. I've done long and short cruises and on other cruise lines I find the short ones to be party cruises, but I didn't experience that on Disney, which I liked. The Dream is a great ship and the Beauty and the Beast show is pretty amazing.

wife turns 30 next year and I was browsing the DCL site and noticed there is a 3 day cruise on the Dream over her birthday. What makes it real special is castaway day day is on her birthday itself, I can’t imagine a better way to tu6rn 30 than on that island!

I love them. We've sailed on every ship and the Dream is my favorite. Castaway Cay is my favorite port. I like both long and short cruises.

Tips for short cruises:
  • Arrive in the area the night before and get a good night's sleep to be rested for the first day of the cruise.
  • Hand any substantial luggage to the porters before boarding the ship. That way you won't spend the first hours of embarkation day sitting by the steps with your luggage, waiting for the staterooms to open at 1pm.
  • If you like to swim or do waterslides, board the ship asap on embarkation day, bringing swimsuits so that you can swim & slide before lunch, when it isn't crowded yet. (This will only work with an early arrival & if you swim before lunch, but it's very effective if you meet those conditions.)
  • Spend your days doing only the things you really want to do. Skip things that don't truly interest you, even if others call them must-dos.
  • Don't buy an Internet package. Stay disconnected from the stresses/distractions of work, home & social media. Just relax and enjoy whatever you're doing onboard.
  • Sleep in, laze around in the stateroom, read a book, watch a movie or cartoons, etc. Don't pressure yourself to be active all the time. You won't do it all in one cruise & that's just fine. Relaxation is a big part of the cruise experience.

Last edited:
3 day cruises aren't worth it for us, as we don't live close enough to FL to make it worthwhile. If we did though, I'd be all over it!

Since you have been on other cruises this is an easy YES! You know your way around Disney cruises so all that's left is to enjoy. The only reason I would not is if I had to add on expensive airfare - then it may not be worth it financially.

are you in the area? so transportation costs / time involved are minimal?
do you have anything better to do on those days?
is this your first cruise? (if yes, then skip)
do you mind being onboard with a LOT of clueless first timers - who have to do everything, because this will be their one and only cruise?

Granted, most of the above is subjective and a generalization, but that does not make the questions less valid.

And I really am NOT trying to talk you out of this, because your idea of spending your wife's 30th on Castaway Cay is a very good idea! And any day on CC is a good one (the one time we docked there and it was only about 70 degrees, 30 mph winds and very rainy, we didn't get off of the ship - so not really a day on the beach!!)

If you are OK with all of the above and the money involved - Have A GREAT Cruise pixiedust:

I think it sounds like a great way to spend a birthday. You could also consider doing a B2B with a 4 day before or after it.

We've done a 4 day cruise (so short as well) and it's really what you make of it and your attitude going into it. Sure, a 7 day would have been better but we had an opportunity to go away for a few days. We knew it was shorter and may no get everything done, but you know what? It was an amazing 4 full days filled with super fun activities, yummy food, great shows, and just all around being spoiled. And to note...we have to fly to the port....but it was still worth it. In your case, you even have a special occasion so personally I say go for it and enjoy!

I say go for it! I booked a 3-night cruise next year on the Dream since it falls on my son's birthday. Our last several cruises have been 7 nights, but we are mainly going for the Christmas decorations.

I did a 3 day cruise on the Dream for my 32nd birthday, we were on Castaway Cay that day with Palo dinner in the evening. Its the only time I've done a 3 day and it was worth it for that (we wanted to see Castaway Cay because we usually sail closer to home on the West Coast) but I wouldn't do another 3 day.

We have done both 3 and 4 days. We PREFER the 4 days - I like to have a day at sea. That said, we are doing a 3 day in Jan - it easier for us to do the 3 days since I can do a long weekend but the 4 days are during the week which makes time off from work harder.

The disadvantage to the Dream is that Nassau does nothing for us anymore. Hopefully with the announcement from the Bahamas that will change in a few years.

Since it coincides with her birthday, I say go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter