Are the cabins worth the extra price?

LadyntheTramp

Mouseketeer
My family and I are hoping to finally make it back to Disney this fall. Right now we have a reservation at POP but are thinking about switching to two cabins are Fort Wilderness. What are some of the advantages of Fort Wilderness and do you think it is worth the extra cost? (I would cost about $250.00 more per person to stay in the cabins.) Just a little information before I am told we are crazy...This is a large family vacation (9-10 adults), we have all stayed in close proximity for extended time before (We used to vacation with 24 people in one house), and we have done Disney together before....lol :thanks:

It might be a good option for you. A cabin can sleep 6 adults and you would be able to cook. There isn't an oven, there is a cooktop and a microwave, and a full size refrigerator, plus a grill outside. You might save money by not having to eat all your meals out. I have friends who go every Thanksgiving and get cabins close to each other and have a HUGE Thanksgiving dinner together, some of the time they don't even visit the parks. Definitely something to consider!

We love staying in the cabins at the Fort. It’s usually very peaceful and a nice break away from the busy parks. The main selling point for us is the full kitchen. Having space to store leftovers or even just drinks in the fridge is so nice, and we love picking up food at P&J’s and bringing it back and eating at the dining table. We also have space to make a meal from grocery supplies, which saves money. The extra space of the living room area, separate from the bedroom, is also great.

All that being said, it would be tight with lots of adults in a cabin. The full-size bed is pushed completely against the wall in the corner, and the bedroom is snug with the bunk beds. I doubt the bunks would be comfortable for larger/taller adults.

Also, the Fort is LARGE. If you don’t rent golf carts, you will need to factor in lots of walking time to either the boat ramp or the main bus stop, or have time to take the interior buses that run to these points. That also means the same trek to food, which is near the boat launch.

Hope you have a great vacation no matter where you stay!

Just a word of caution - my college age dd's at 5 feet 2 inches could not sleep in the bunkbeds - they opted for the sofa instead and didn't think that was all that comfy either. Not sure how 9 adults would sleep comfortably in 2 cabins - especially with one bathroom in each.

Getting around is also an issue if you don't have a car/ golf cart and you often need more than one mode of Disney transportation to get to a park if you're not driving. (Vs - pop with the direct buses and Skyliner)

That said we absolutely love this resort and if they replaced the bunks with either real twin size bunks or upgraded the sofa, we would choose the cabins every trip.

For reference our recent go to has been AOA suites as they have 3 dedicated (and comfortable) sleep surfaces, 2 bathrooms and easy park access at the same or less cost as the cabin.

Have fun planning!

We have camped in the Fort on multiple occasions and have never rented a golf cart, instead using the internal bus system. Does it sometimes take longer, yes but the peace there is so much nicer than the different volumes heard around POP and other resorts (we have also stayed at POP before). Just my opinion but I think the cabins are worth the extra money if you can afford them.

We love the cabins when we are wanting to hang out more. We love the boardwalk and the skyliner resorts when we want to do the parks, especially when there's something fun going on at EPCOT.

I have stayed at both the Fort and POP multiple times and love both. However, in my case, they have been completely different vacations. If I want a Disney trip that is focused on the parks, I stay at POP (with the Skyliner connection to EPCOT and the Studio's), but if I wanted a Disney trip with more downtime (campfires, BBQ, golf carts, etc), I would choose the Fort.

I have stayed at both the Fort and POP multiple times and love both. However, in my case, they have been completely different vacations. If I want a Disney trip that is focused on the parks, I stay at POP (with the Skyliner connection to EPCOT and the Studio's), but if I wanted a Disney trip with more downtime (campfires, BBQ, golf carts, etc), I would choose the Fort.
I agree totally. We are coming in a few weeks and we're planning to stay at Pop to make it easier to get to EPCOT for the bands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter