Are the classic Disney Princesses being forgotten about now?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Ever since Snow White debuted for Disney as the first ever Disney Princess there was a lot of attention given to her because of her kind personality and sweet nature then Cinderella followed and many people who watched Cinderella liked Cinderella because of her personality and wonderful way of thinking and Sleeping Beauty was praised because of her kind nature and beauty. But ever since the debut of Ariel in The Little Mermaid in 1989 it seemed to be the start of Disney launching a new series of princesses for the 90's and beyond and when Belle and Jasmine came out in 1991 and 1992 the classic princesses were considered old news and when Mulan came out in 1998 she brought a whole new side to the Disney Princesses by being a warrior and tough. And when Pocahontas came out in 1995 she became a positive role model but as soon as Tiana came out in 2009 many people were glad to see a princess who not only was a hard worker but a cook and Tiana became a role model for girls who aspired to be chefs. But ever since the debuts of Merida Anna And Elsa and Moana it seems that Cinderella Snow White Sleeping Beauty Jasmine and Pocahontas Rapunzel and Tiana have been replaced by these top Disney Princesses now. And now anything containing Jasmine or Rapunzel Tiana Pocahontas Cinderella Sleeping Beauty and Snow White are hard to find but Ariel and Anna And Elsa merchandise is super easy to find now. Is this a new trend with the Disney Princesses now?

Well, it's really just a matter of popularity and what sells. Ariel is popular because The Little Mermaid is a masterpeice! The same for Belle. Those movies didn't jsut redefine Disney, but animation in general and have stood teh test of time. I don't think the older princesses are forgotton though. They still use them and create merchandise and such. Snow White's ride at Disneyland just got a major new facelift with new scenes and everything! That one will alwasy be remembered as teh first one - plus a live-action remake is coming. They're still hanging in there.

Last edited:
The classic princesses will eventually fade away. They are too prim, proper, and demure, waiting on their Prince Charming to come along and save them.

Nowadays, Disney "princesses" have to be tough, take charge, and kick butts. They can save themselves, without any need for Prince Charming's help.

Why I think Disney started to focus less on the classic Disney Princesses and started creating the new princesses was because they wanted to attract the new generation of Disney Princess fans and so they started creating princesses with smart personalities and unique hobbies and attitudes. Take for example when Disney Channel created Elena Of Avalor Elena was a princess with a take-charge attitude and was really focused on wanting to become queen of Avalor and I can say if Elena was a real person she could be a secretary in an business office. Then when Anna and Elsa came out with Frozen Anna was also a take-charge person but was more boy-crazy while Elsa was wanting to follow in Anna's footsteps. But when Brave came out Disney wanted to keep the tough warrior image of the new princesses because as we saw with Mulan with Mulan wanting to be tough and show her warrior skills Disney hoped to do the same with Merida by making her a competitive archer who is skilled with a bow and arrow and this brought a sporty side to Disney princesses. And when Tiana came out it was great to see a princess with a passion for cooking as her hobby and she became a role model for girls who loved to cook and Disney was proud of that. But as I mentioned in my opening post it seems that Snow White and Cinderella are the forgotten classic princesses because you never see Snow White merchandise anywhere and the same with Cinderella and the only classic princess that is seen in merchandise is Aurora and it seems that anything Aurora and Sleeping Beauty is easy to find but I do wish someday that they will make a Disney movie where a princess has a crush on a prince but then the prince gets ill and the princess saves him and the prince recovers from his illness and the princess and the prince get married and live happily ever after and it would be a great romantic tale in my eyes

I also think that the newer princesses have a lot more depth and character. A friend recommended that I watch Sleeping Beauty, which I had never watched growing up. I loved the movie, but I was left wondering at the end of it, "Who is Princess Aurora?!" I honestly couldn't tell you a lot about her. I knew more about the Fairy Godmothers than I did Aurora. When you compare that to Merida from Brave or Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph, there is quite the stark contrast.

The classic princesses will eventually fade away. They are too prim, proper, and demure, waiting on their Prince Charming to come along and save them.

Nowadays, Disney "princesses" have to be tough, take charge, and kick butts. They can save themselves, without any need for Prince Charming's help.
Growing up I loved Aurora and Ariel, disliked Cinderella and Snow White. As I grew older I gravitated away from liking Aurora and Ariel in favor f the newer princesses who could stand on their own. Belle and Tiana are awesome! Rupunzel and Merida are great too, as is Mulan. I would much prefer a princess who can stand o their own, take change, and be a positive role model, than one who waits for the prince to save her. Also, if the character is too whiny they need to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter