• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are the kids back home? For how long?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
We have three single, young adult kids. Two are back home with the third planning to move back in for a bit in June. It’s funny because dh and I have spent the last year kind of thinking and starting to plan for an empty nest and now they are all back for a while. We were kind of thinking the house is bigger than we need at this stage. Now it’s feeling a bit more cramped.😃

.Are your kids back? Think it will be for a while?

For one week only, thank goodness, dd23 is staying with her boyfriend, ds22 at his off campus house, both are working from home. Dd19 is home from college and schooling from home, with dd17 and ds17. DH is working from home. That week was fun, but it was a little too much.

We are in the same boat. We have two young adult sons and had been empty nesters for a year. Our oldest moved out of his city apartment to be safer at home with us outside the city and our youngest had to finish his senior year 1st semester at home. We haven't been home as a family of four in six years. I'm counting it as bonus time. But my grocery bills are through the roof!

We are in the same boat. We have two young adult sons and had been empty nesters for a year. Our oldest moved out of his city apartment to be safer at home with us outside the city and our youngest had to finish his senior year 1st semester at home. We haven't been home as a family of four in six years. I'm counting it as bonus time. But my grocery bills are through the roof!
That’s funny, I was down to only 2 kids this year and noticed how low my grocery bill was, most of the time under $200 vs. $300+.

My dd will be coming back in a week or so when her semester is finished. Her lease is up in July so not sure how long she will be here, she is waiting to hear from one of her Professors about a summer research project so if that is still happening she'll probably return to her apartment right after Memorial Day. If it isn't happening she may stay longer. She may not enjoy being home with all of us though and go back sooner rather than later.

Oh yes! I can totally relate to the grocery bill! And because this whole lock down think stinks, I have been buying extra treats to keep everyone smiling a bit more.😁

This was DD's first year of college. The house was pretty empty without her. The one silver lining in all of this has been having some bonus time with her. We take a 2 to 3 mile walk every morning. It's been a lovely way to start each day. It's going to be hard to have her leave again in the fall, but she needs in person classes for her major so I'm hoping plans to reopen are still on track.

On a Zoom call with my former HS classmates on Sunday night, the question was asked about what we were grateful for during quarantine. I said that I was thankful for the borrowed time I'm getting with my 2 adult children. My DD (24) moved home in March from Philadelphia (while still paying for her apartment there) and she is taking classes from home for her master's.

My DS was already home because he is building his online business from our house. He can focus on using all profits for him business while living for free in our house. It's funny how much he wanted to move into his own place until he finally realized that he has his own space in our basement, with direct access to the outside and all the freedom he wanted that he didn't have to pay to support. lol

I feel like I'm living on borrowed time with the 4 of us being in the same house. It makes me very happy.

Since March 15th, I've spent about $800 on groceries. I have a well-stocked pantry and 3 freezers that were already full, so that helps with grocery costs.

They've been home since end of March. Oldest is graduating and has job lined up to start in September. His original plans were to travel and screw around over the summer. Second child hopes her college will be open in fall. Third child hopes her college will be open for her to start in the fall. Fourth kid is still in high school...and has major plans for the house when the older kids get out. LOL

Here's hoping people behave and accept the guidelines so people can move forward. Unfortunately, I see too many people not considering them.

In Feb our eldest son moved back home, into the basement apartment. He wants to get married and buy a house in the next year or two and is saving $$$ towards that. We don't charge him rent, although he pays $200 per month towards utilities which in reality I'm just banking to give back to him to help with the house purchase, although he doesn't know it! Our electric bill has inched up a tiny bit, but it's not that bad. He has a kitchen and buys his own food. Youngest is still living nearby in an apartment, but was supposed to move to GA in June for a new job. He still has the new job, but due to the virus everything is in limbo in terms of his start date. So there is a chance he might be back for a few weeks in between his lease being up and not being able to start his new position for several weeks.
The painfully honest truth is we miss our empty nest, BUT we like having live in labor for lawn mowing and farm chores again :rotfl2: We went into it thinking we'd have a live in lawn mower and dog sitter again, and this summer we'd take a few more long weekends and travel a bit more. Obviously that may not happen now!

Thankfully everyone gets on just fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter