Are the paths at the Caribbean Resort smooth?

freemore

Mouseketeer
First time staying at the Caribbean Resort. My dh and I will both be using ecvs. I have heard that the resort is large and wondering if the paths we use will be smooth or will they be bumpy brick like texture? I have neck problems and I'm bothered by bumps. I also heard there were some bridges to cross, will that be a problem with ecvs? Thanks

All the walkways at CBR are smooth. And the two bridges they have are not even as steep as the one at Epcot between UK and France.

Don't be, there is no need to. :) The pathway is very very smooth concrete. The whole worlds should be like that. ;) I didn't like one of the two bridges. The angle of it, combined with the material they used simply doesn't attract me in saying 'yippie' if I had to cross it multiple times a day. My powerchair had a bit less grip on there (makes me wonder what it's like when wet??) and my body really doesn't tolerate any bump, no matter how small. (normally I've got a special device on the chair compensating bumps but ofcourse that brook down on the flight over to WDW, so I did the bridges both once 'au naturel', wanting to check out all of CBR)

They are a bit bumpier, so if I were you I would request a room at the other side of the lake. However, it really isn't such a big walk if you were just across the lake and took the walkway to OPR.

I don't take the bridges if I don't have to (even with the chair working proparly), but didn't see the need to request a certain building for my next trip because I don't think the distance 'going the long way round' is bad. It isn't very far and my gosh what a lovely surrounding to roll along.

Thank you so much for your reply. It sounds like you enjoyed CBR since you are going again next year! We will probably go around the longer way because we enjoy just rolling along and enjoying the scenery also. Thanks again.

You're very welcome! I did enjoy CBR very much. I really liked the '2 holidays in one' feeling of Disney on one hand and coming back to the resort to find myself having a tropical holiday. The walking past all that beautfull nature and those beaches just felt so relaxing and was so beautifull. The staff was also terrific. Nice, pleasant to talk to, always in for some fun, smiling alot and the front desk staff and manager even literally saved my trip. (some parts of my powerchair were broken by the airline flying in, airline gave me some hassles so the folks at CBR decided to work their magic.) My next trip will be a split stay (11 nights CBR, 2 nights AKL concierge), but I'm a fan of the CBR even after one trip.

Enjoy yourself while your there, when are you going?

We are going in February for our anniversary. We went last year at that time and had pretty good luck with the weather. We can't stand the heat so we usually travel in early spring or late fall. I hear they will be doing construction at that time on some of the pools or one of the pools so I have to find out where that is and try to get a building that won't be near that. Don't know if that will be possible or not. We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge the last two times and it is so very convenient but we wanted to try something else this time.

Did you find the central CBR topic at "Resorts" allready? Safetymom posts great updates on there. At least the main pool will be closed, but I doubt it there are many rooms that have any view of the main pool. I was in the first building from OPR at Trinidad North (room 3107, roll in shower, parkinglot view), but from nowhere on first floor of that building could you see the main pool.

February, that still is a long wait from now. Hopefully it'll be here like tomorrow!

Thanks again for the info. When you made your reservation did you ask for a particular bldg or village or view? I have asked for a lake view but I'm not actually expecting to get it, but I didn't specify a village or bldg. Do you think you will ask for a different location next year? We don't actually spend much time looking out the window of our room, but since all the views cost the same, it would be nice to have a pretty view.

No, I didn't. I had a reservation for a standard view, checked in around 6 pm and learned that they had decided room 3107 (preferred location, because the closeness to OPR) would be for me. I haven't requested anything for our next stay yet and don't think I will. It turned out great for me the first time, so let's see what it does this time.

I have stayed in room 3105 several times and used to even request it. It does face the parking lot. However, last time I was there they had two handicap spaces right next to 3105. Also, it is almost the shortest distance room from Old Port Royale.

If you can't handle bumps, do know that getting into/out of at least one of the parks has bumpy ground. (I think there are also some bumpy parts in the parks themselves.) My friend was in an ECV and can't handle the bumps, either, so had to go VERY slowly in these parts and even then it hurt her.

We stayed at CBR and had no problem - they are regular sidewalks.

Yes the paths in AK are the worst I think, too bad because I don't think they add to the charm or theme. And there are the bricks in some of the Magic Kingdom that can be tough too but I do think they add to the charm. I just try to avoid the places that are bumpy and I'm really glad to hear that CBR will be smooth! Thanks to everyone!

Cheshire Figment; they still are there, right next to room 3105. Or that is; in september they still were there. :)

AK is the worst by far. Epcot has some not too nice bridges, but you can avoid most of them, whereas you can't enjoy AK without those nasty paths. Have you thought about adapting the chair to your surroundings? Letting a bit of the air out of the wheels will reduce the bumping a bit, allthough the downside would of course be the chair being a bit heavier to move around. If possible, don't rest your arms on armrests but on the body itself as that absorbs bumps better.

I know I'll be glad to be able to do AK with my 'airbouncing' -the airpressure absorbs a lot of bumps etc. Really is great stuff!- working next time! Knock on wood, of course. ;)

I had not thought about letting the air out of the tires, we use ecv that we rent from Walkers so I don't know if that would be possible or not. I do remember though one time my husband put extra air in my car tires and boy could I tell a difference even with the extra air in them the ride was so much more bumpier. I was really surprised that it made such a difference in the ride in my car. I have an old 93 Lincoln Town Car with rear wheel drive and it is the smoothest riding car I have found. They quit making those now so I'm taking real good care of it so it will last a long time.

Last time I had an ECV tire go flat I took it to Walker's and they replaced it with a foam-core tire. John Walker told me now they specify foam core tires on all the ECVs they buy. So there is no air pressure to let out.

True, there are more and more ECV's out there with tires you can't let any air out (or in). Has it's pros and it's cons. Even if it is possible, you'ld only want to do it if you can put more pressure back in afterwards. While less pressure reduces pain caused by bumps, it does make the moving around heavier. Not something you'll want in parks that are smoother.

Freemore, if ever the day has to come that the car can't be fixed anymore, look at the chairs in it for comfort. They can do loads these days to reduces bumps by ajusting the chair, both as a standard option that comes with the car and as a true aid. Most of them are relatively affordable. If that isn't enough, think about those airpressure systems they've got for the drivingseat of a truck. My powerchair has such a system especially designed for wheelchairs. I know there are products out here for chairs in cars also. I don't know if it's out there in the US yet, but for someone with a proper mechanical background they're pretty easy to build.

If you ever have to use/look into using a manual chair; there are those out there with extra bump-reducing 'thingies' (sorry, don't know the word in english) in the frame and cambridge. Also now there are wheels -both the big and caster wheels- that have a bump-reducer built in in the center.

I don't know why I never thought about adjusting a chair in a car!! My husband has a van that he loves to drive but I have never been able to ride in it. We will definitely look into seeing if the seat can be adjusted in it. He is a truck driver also so he knows about the air cusions. thanks for the great idea!

YIKES! I found the brick walkway behind the food court to be VERY BUMPY....in fact I had extreme neck pain from just going across it. Avoid the back exit of the food court by the feature pool. I actually spoke to someone about it and asked if there were any plans for a portion of smooth walkway to be placed in that area during the pool rehab. A sleeping child in a stoller would also be awakened by the bumpiness of that path- it's probably the worst I've seen other than the brick area ( which can be avoided) in front of the 50's buildings at Pop. Also a problem is the one pushplate button out of four different doorways that lead into the back of the food court at CBR. We finally found it, after going back and forth over the bricks but it's not in the most convenient place at all.---Kathy

Sorry to hear that, DCL. We never went in the back of the food court or to the pool or anything. I think my friend walked when we went to the food court the times we went there, too, as I don't recall the scooter ever being there. (That's walk INSIDE the food court - we took the car or bus to get there, of course! We were only there to get food and take a short browse in the souvenir shop [had to get those coconut postcards!].)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter