Hansel and Gretel
Little Red Riding Hood
12 Dancing Princess
The Snow Queen
The Princess and the Pea
Rumplestilkin
Goldie Locks and the Three Bears
The Gingerbread man.

The Princess and the Pea is Once Upon a Mattress, as some others have posted. (Not seen it personally) I am thinkingthat some of those might've been made into shorts. But not sure.

The Princess and the Pea is Once Upon a Mattress, as some others have posted. (Not seen it personally) I am thinkingthat some of those might've been made into shorts. But not sure.

Okay Little Red Riding Hood was made into a short where she teamed up with the Three Little Pigs.

But Disney has been trying its best to get an adaption of the Snow Queen off the ground, I think the Snow Queen would be a nice addtion to the Villians.

Okay Little Red Riding Hood was made into a short where she teamed up with the Three Little Pigs.

But Disney has been trying its best to get an adaption of the Snow Queen off the ground, I think the Snow Queen would be a nice addtion to the Villians.

I was thinking that perhaps little Red riding hood had been done, but couldn't remember for sure.

Puss in Boots

The Fisherman and His Wife-- well, maybe it wouldn't translate well into a Disney movie, but it's one fairy tale that amuses me greatly.

The Town Musicians of Bremen

The Goose Girl

The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was

The Emperor's New Clothes

I present to you Tangled, formerly known as Rapunzel. I'm still mad about the name change. :mad:

There are definitely plenty of stories left. -looks at her large book of Grimm Fairy Tales- There are so many that I want to see that I don't know what to pick!

Yep, except Rapunzel was originally Persinette, a French (Gallic?) fairy-tale that was adopted by some Germans pre-Grimm.

I too, would love to see Rumpelstiltskin or Puss in Boots. I think they're trying to avoid the ones that Dreamworks co-opted for Shrek though, so we won't see Puss anytime soon.

I love a PP's idea of using non-European fairy tales. So many that I grew up with Ushima Taro (basically ocean-going Pandora's box of time), Momotaro (Peach-boy warrior saves town from ogres), and Issunboshi (Thumbelina samurai-style), would make wonderful movies since the animal companions are built in, lots of great sidekicks and villains.

Lots of ideas left, just depends on what writers are willing to adapt... just hope they find some musicians/lyricists to improve the quality of the scores. Remember when the Aladdin & Lion King recordings made it to mainstream radio when covered by Peabo Bryson and Elton John? I think the last one was Tarzan's Phil Collins cover. They could have gotten some wonderful diva (I'm thinking Vanessa Williams?) to cover 'Almost There' and released that into the mainstream pop culture, but I can't think of any other songs they've built into recent movies that had the power of most of the movies from my childhood and my parents' generations childhood. Kinda :sad1:

DS has a book report due where he has to pick a fairy tale. He refuses to do one with princesses, or any that he has "seen." This is going to be tough, but that's another issue.

This has got me thinking. Are there any fairy tales left which Disney can use for a movie?

Which fairy tale would you like to see on the screen (animated or live action)?
How about Princess and the Pea....

OK, folklore geek with an MEd in children's media coming through... :laughing:

DS has a book report due where he has to pick a fairy tale. He refuses to do one with princesses, or any that he has "seen." This is going to be tough, but that's another issue.

Your son has been sorely misinformed about fairy tales, I am afraid. The Brothers Grimm collected around 250 folktales covering a bewildering array of genres. (Seriously, "The Juniper Tree" is a haunting tragedy and Steven King has named "Bluebeard" "the most horrible of horror stories".) The linked collection is excellent, inexpensive, and saw me through college; just whatever you do make sure you get an unabridged collection. All told, maybe a third of them involve princesses and most of them haven't even been considered by Disney.

This has got me thinking. Are there any fairy tales left which Disney can use for a movie?

Tons. Loads and loads. The world of folklore is as rich and varied as all the cultures in the world.

Does anyone else remember the old "Fairy Tale Theater" from the 80's? It was a descent show, but probably dated by now.

I remember that show. Having happened upon a few episodes recently, it's not so much dated as... strange. Really, really strange.

Is Cleopatra really appropriate for my 7 year old?

We're talking Disney! They made The Once and Future King and The Jungle Book safe for the kiddies after all.

The Little Mermaid with Pam Dawber was "Shelly Duvall"s (of "The Shining" fame) Fairy Tale Theater," which was an amazing series!!...The Emperors New Clothes, Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, etc. as well!

It would be nice to see one of the Fairy Tales we popularly know from a non-European culture, as many of the Fairy Tales as passed around to globe are popular picture books for children these days!...Lon Po Po, or Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters, etc..Maybe they would seem more like general cautionary tales than "girl movies."

Love this anime show and regular watch it's latest episodes. I've enjoyed fairy tail all 85 episodes aired up to June 25th and now waiting for Next episode premeire on 2nd July! and after it's release one One episode left for us from it's current running season 2.

I'd like them to do another verizon of princess and the pea. Although Disney won't be doing a 'princess' movie for quite a while. I'm pleased with the turn around in quality of the big screen films recently. For me, I still need to get to theater to watch CARS and Winnie! I think I'd go crazy if they came out with another fairytale to watch!

I think Aesops fables would be great. They could do a bunch of short segments linked together like they did with Fantasia. I like the idea of tales from cultures we don't hear often. Maybe some real native american folk tales. I know they did Pocahontas but that wasn't really a story like that. Or have they did any stories from Mexican folk lore? I'm not sure. It doesn't all have to be princesses. There are so many interesting stories out there full of adventure and magic.

I am huge fan of this one animated show and i am regular watcher of this show. Really its wonderful show.

I can’t think of any, but I think they should make either a reboot animated movie of The Black Cauldron or make a real movie of the same.

I am huge fan of this one animated show and i am regular watcher of this show. Really its wonderful show.

I'm... I'm guessing we need a "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics" thread...

I can’t think of any, but I think they should make either a reboot animated movie of The Black Cauldron or make a real movie of the same.

I agree that the world is ready for a new adaptation on The Chronicles of Prydane. Actually, I'm surprised we didn't get one in the post-"Harry Potter" "lets' adapt every kids fantasy book ever" deluge.

EDIT: I don't know if the original poster still needs it, but here's a neat list of dark Fairy Tales.

I would absolutely love a Disney 'Twelve Dancing Princesses!' And while I know that they'll never do it, 'Snow White and Rose Red' is also one of my favorites.

I would absolutely love a Disney 'Twelve Dancing Princesses!' And while I know that they'll never do it, 'Snow White and Rose Red' is also one of my favorites.

That is my first thought too, but then I think... Wait, there are enough princesses! LOL (I have 4 sons, so princesses aren't a big draw for my household.)

I doubt Puss in Boots or Rumplestiltskin will be optioned for a long time since they are associated with Shrek quite heavily right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter