Are there any issues living near a cell tower?

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
DH & I are starting to look into moving, and in searching for new home communities, found one we like. However, there's a massive cell tower basically in the new development. I've searched and they said there are no facts of health issues or anything living near one, but it still concerns me. Just wanted to get some others opinions. Thanks.

Depends if potential buyers when you go to sell see it as an issue. If you think it might be an issue, so must others. How much are you limiting your future buyer pool?

In the neighborhood? Not an issue. In your front yard? Maybe an issue.

So, just so you are aware, it won't necessarily improve your cell reception if it's now owned by your cell phone company. We have a Verizon tower about a mile away in our neighborhood. We have AT&T though, and our reception at home is nonexistent.

There is one about 3/4 mile from us (we are on top of one hill and it is on top of the next one). We have lived here since 1990 and so far as I know, there hasn’t been a problem. The tower was originally a radio tower that had the cell part added later. We do have pretty good cell coverage, which is nice.

We have had one put on our back acreage about 15years ago and have not had any issues. Even the tower itself is not that much of an eyesore but the guidewires that support it are annoying when it comes to mowing.

And if you buy a home that's not near a tower, one could wind up being installed. That happened here about 5 years ago. At first I felt like it was a bit of an eyesore, truthfully, but now, I don't even see it anymore. And yes, we get better coverage in an area that had awful to no coverage before, so that's definitely a good thing.

The have some good disguised ones. There is a giant Saguaro cactus shaped one in Arizona for example.

Just think of the great cell reception you’d have.

IF the OP cellular provider is leasing space on that tower. Not all providers share every tower. One house that I recently went to see (for sale) was a literal dead zone for Verizon. But, AT&T was full bars.

Besides that, the house is most likely currently being sold at a discount to what a comparable home in another neighborhood would sell for. And, when the OP goes to sell it, will likely also have to price it at a comparable discount. So, OP doesn’t need to worry about home value per se.

We have two cell towers about 4 blocks from our house. No idea if it will cause problems.
But DW and I work in TV, and have been bombarded by microwave radiation (at much higher wattage) for 40 years. OSHA has done studies of TV station employees and our cancer rate is no higher than those who don't work around microwave radiation.

when the OP goes to sell it, will likely also have to price it at a comparable discount.
This is a BIG pet peeve of mine. Buying a house, or designing a remodel SOLELY based on resale. How about just doing what you want because you like it? Unless of course you KNOW you plan to move in the short term.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter