Are there any pickpockets or frauds to be aware of?

Aside from the very rare story of a bag/pushchair (the disney strollers that you can rent) being taken, I've never heard of anything.

Oh, but I'd avoid the cheap tat that you'll see for sale outside of the parks (men selling items displayed on blankets on the ground). No matter how appealing it looks it will be broken/falling apart before you get it home ;)

Aside from the very rare story of a bag/pushchair (the disney strollers that you can rent) being taken, I've never heard of anything.

Oh, but I'd avoid the cheap tat that you'll see for sale outside of the parks (men selling items displayed on blankets on the ground). No matter how appealing it looks it will be broken/falling apart before you get it home ;)
This makes me so sad that these people sell their rubbish in front of the village!

Eurgh.

I know someone that got their bag dipped into and money stolen when they were watching a parade but to be honest I dont think their bag was 'too secure' with the fastening.
Apart from that though like the others said, mainly just those guys selling fake things.

Ashleigh x

I don't think it's too bad, but then again I think it would be slightly naive to think it absolutely didn't exist.

So long as you take "sensible" precautions - keep an I on your valuables, don't leave your bags unattended for hours on end in plain site etc then you'll be just fine.

I don't think the problem is an epidemic. I'd just recommend that you use the same common sense that you would anywhere else. Most people are there to have a good time but anywhere you go you'll find a few bad apples.

These people get moved on by the police several times a day its a shame they cant take the hint and keep coming back with there cheap and shoddy items.

These people get moved on by the police several times a day its a shame they cant take the hint and keep coming back with there cheap and shoddy items.

Who wants to buy a crappy (scary with red glowing eyes) little barking/walking dog toy when you're at disney anywyay?!

Presumably there's not a lot that Disney can do. By placing themselves outside the station, I assume that part of the Parks is pretty much public property (due to the station), meaning that these people are probably free to do what they want there (within the limits of the law of course).

Somebody must be buying their stuff though, because otherwise, they wouldn't keep coming back because they'd make no money. I'm glad it's not just us who dislikes them though - does anybody else get the urge to kick the little robot animals as they get in your way?

Presumably there's not a lot that Disney can do. By placing themselves outside the station, I assume that part of the Parks is pretty much public property (due to the station), meaning that these people are probably free to do what they want there (within the limits of the law of course).

Somebody must be buying their stuff though, because otherwise, they wouldn't keep coming back because they'd make no money. I'm glad it's not just us who dislikes them though - does anybody else get the urge to kick the little robot animals as they get in your way?
Very very much so!! Although i'd feel bad about it as my love for animals extends as far as stuffed ones. It's not normal I know but mistreated fake animals upsets me.

I had a dream that I'd heard someone shoot a stray cat the other night, woke myself up crying and couldn't get back to sleep for hours......

what a loser :(

when we were there in June not only were the guys selling the cheap tat there but there were also blokes trying to take your picture on your way up to the bag check area ... the only way I could get rid off one of them was to try and take his ankles out using our buggy, don't think he understood the words 'no thank you' !!!

I find a firm 'No, go away please' usually works. Said with a very scary EK face.

that, or singlemindedly refusing to look at them, coupled with 'Get away or I'll call security' if necessary.

But it really, really upsets me that this is necessary at Disney; it spoils the whole arrival experience for me. So in the way of things I don't like, I pretend its not there....

if Disney could buy the land (it must be public land, otherwise they'd never allow them to be there) then perhaps they could kick them out for good? :confused3

EK

along with them men with the little blankets sellin muck i hate the men that try to take your picture and sell it to you we say no every time or just ignore but they still hassle you its so annoyin it kinda ruins the buzz leavin the village. :mad: last year they just took it anyway and told us we had to buy it.. but we didnt.

along with them men with the little blankets sellin muck i hate the men that try to take your picture and sell it to you we say no every time or just ignore but they still hassle you its so annoyin it kinda ruins the buzz leavin the village. :mad: last year they just took it anyway and told us we had to buy it.. but we didnt.

Same, first time I encountered these Del Boys I thought they were just crazy tourists wanting someone to pose in a photo for their album, but then started trying to sell it to us for some extortionate cost, which I just said No to.. It wasn't even in focus properly.

Anyway, he lost some film, I kept my cash, he got all grumpy.. but hey never mind.

Nearly two years ago I was at DLP with dd and as we were arriving my camera was stolen from the camera bag - I think it was as we were going through the gates or queueing for left luggage or even bag check, because our first stop was at the castle and by then it was gone less than 30 minutes off the Eurostar. While at City Hall we met some other English people who had the purses stolen and were told that they had had a problem with youngsters who were very professional who literally had been doing quite a lot of thefts in the space of 30-60 minutes then nothing more for the rest of the day. This may have been a short term problem they had, because I have never encountered anything before - including when we have left things behind places they have been handed in by others, and that time when a CM heard what had happened gave us dd's photo with a character for nothing (it was not very good, and I was not going to buy it but dd started saying about how we did not have photos from that trip because of the theft).

Looking back, it was very busy (Halloween), I was distracted trying to keep dd in check with all the luggage, had just spent time opening the bags in full sight of lots of people at bag check so any could have seen the camera (it was a good new one that I had got for my birthday). Never have we had things stolen from pushchairs left when going on rides. I was just say only take what valuables you need and use common sense when in crowds, you do not need lots of cash, or jewellery so do not carry it around with you.

It's such a shame that we have to worry about these things when in a place like Disney, isn't it? :sad2: I too hate the vendors outside the park gates - it really spoils the experience for me. At least they're not inside the park though.

diamond57, sorry to hear of your horrible experience. What a start to your holiday! :eek:

In all the times going I've never had anything stolen. I lost a few things but that's my own fault.

I'd say you were no more (or less) at risk at Disneyland than you would be at any theme park in England (or anywhere else for that matter)

I have to agree with the last poster. And I am continually amazed at how tourists drop their guard. Paris like any large city has people on the lookout for naive tourists. Don't respond to the women crying out 'speak English?' Don't agree to help someone look for their dropped wedding band. Don't have your photo taken by a stranger unless you ask them to do so. If you are uncomfortable with a situation, step away.

August in Paris and especially weekends means many tourists and few locals, and I was once again amazed by the people making themselves available to crime yesterday.

Having said that, my favourite handbags don't have a zipper closure on the top, and I have never lost my wallet, camera, etc.

I have been travelling on my own since about age 17 and have learned how to deal with questionable individuals and to say 'NO' and move away if needed (I did that yesterday at a major tourist metro stop)

Just be sensible, don't worry overly much, and avoid putting yourself at risk by responding to the type of offers I outlined above.

Somebody must be buying their stuff though, because otherwise, they wouldn't keep coming back because they'd make no money

Is that not just what their trying to do, earn I abit of money? No its not very disney like, and no maybe the stuff they have isnt wonderful- its not stuff i want to buy so i dont look at it but I dont think its right to be rude to them- a simple "No thank you" is fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter