Are We Crazy to Go in July?

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
So we jumped on the free dining bandwagon (July 7-15) since my DH has his vacation time in July this year. We usually go around the last two weeks in August and have also gone the 1st week in December, early to mid March and once in May so don't have any experience with July crowds. How bad are the crowds in July?

We’ve gone the past two July’s. It’s verrrry hot and rains every day. The rain doesn’t normally last more than a couple of hours but it’s usually severe weather. Thunder, lightning, heavy rain. For us it was typically early afternoon. One day we were at MK getting off Buzz and could hardly move thru the exit to get out there were so many people taking cover from the deluge. It was raining so hard the drainage system couldn’t keep up back there in Tomorrowland and the water was about 8 inches deep to wade thru! It actually was a fun memory. And also, one night HEA was delayed for over an hour due to lightning. I’ve heard the crowds were lower the last few summers compared to October, but it was still pretty crowded. I would go again then if that was my only choice, but probably won’t if I have another choice.

We have been several times in July and I would take August anytime over July just to avoid the tour groups that take over Disney in July. Our last experience at Pop was in 2015 so hopefully things have improved in terms of how Disney handles them. I read that they now have their own busses to take them to the parks.

I much prefer December but will honestly take Disney anytime! We just tour differently if we go in the summer. We are not a family that opens and closes a park and our afternoon breaks are even longer when it's hot.
If you have free dining, focus more on food and resort time. That also means park hoppers. Rope drop until it's busy, go back to your resort, then go to another park in the PM and use your FP+.
I think crowds were light last July but unsure if that trend will continue.

Last edited:
July is "slow" as Disney goes. Only thing of note is the 15s. And no, it doesn't rain every day. You could go 10 days straight with a storm, or 10 days straight without one. We've experienced both.

Well, since we are going around the same time (July 7-13) I hope it doesn't suck! I haven't been to Disney in the summer since 1985 or so when I went with a high school group (we always go in the spring/fall), and I'm dreading the weather but hoping for the best. Less worried about the crowds since we plan on doing early mornings or late nights and hope that makes it more manageable.

It’s busy. It’s hot. Lightning can wreak havoc on wait times. Just my personal opinion/experience.

To me June, July, August, and September are all hot! August and September are just a little more humid. From what I have read July has been less crowded the past couple years. Probably because prices have gone up.

July is "slow" as Disney goes. Only thing of note is the 15s. And no, it doesn't rain every day. You could go 10 days straight with a storm, or 10 days straight without one. We've experienced both.
Are the 15s really that bad? If so whats the best way to avoid them?

You know July is hot and decent but not horrible crowds. Don't let it stop you! Fast passes, rope drop, and maybe a midday break will make it a great time. Every month has pros and cons. Go when you can and just make some Disney magic.

Well, since we are going around the same time (July 7-13) I hope it doesn't suck! I haven't been to Disney in the summer since 1985 or so when I went with a high school group (we always go in the spring/fall), and I'm dreading the weather but hoping for the best. Less worried about the crowds since we plan on doing early mornings or late nights and hope that makes it more manageable.
Yes go early then leave for a break and go back in the evening. I tell you when it’s hot and crowded After Hours were the best! Low crowds and low heat. If you have the extra money you might think about it. We only have 2 of us so it’s not as expensive like it would be for a family.

Our lowest-crowd-ever trip was July 2017. Of course, crowd patterns vary year to year and week to week so YMMV. It was hot, but we solved that by scheduling long character meals for lunch and eating lighter dinners to get out of the heat, and we had an amazing time.

The good thing is, if you got free dining, it's because Disney is having trouble selling hotel rooms that week, so they apparently expect low crowds then.

Yes go early then leave for a break and go back in the evening. I tell you when it’s hot and crowded After Hours were the best! Low crowds and low heat. If you have the extra money you might think about it. We only have 2 of us so it’s not as expensive like it would be for a family.
Thanks--we are planning to go to the Villains After Hours on July 10 and really looking forward to it.

We jumped on the Free Dining offer and booked a trip for July as well. Would prefer a less crowded/hot time, but school schedules just weren't going to work any other way. Last time I was there in July was in 1995! I went to DL back in October during an awful heat wave, I'm starting to forget what being at a Disney park in decent weather is like. 🥵

But we're planning early mornings, afternoon breaks, ponchos, dining reservations and FP+ to get through it. And we will! This is my nephews' first trip to WDW, so we're really looking forward to it.

Do it every year. It is hot, crowds are not horrible. Barely rained last year in the 10 days we were there. Just plan accordingly and it will be great.

Super hot! Didn’t find the crowds that bad, we were there week of July 1st. We took breaks every afternoon. Lucked out and had little rain. The wettest we got was the last day when we decided to go to AK for a couple hours before flying home. Didn’t bring ponchos (that we had every other day) and got absolutely drenched.

We will be there July 5-14 so I guess we’re crazy too!

I work at a school so we always have to go in the summer. July and August are both hot, but like everyone said, it’s manageable if you hit the parks early, a nice pool afternoon break, and then back to the parks at night!

We were there in July 2018, no it didn't rain every day, maybe 3 times while we were there for 2 weeks. Hot? Depends on you, we didn't think it was any worse than where we live, took breaks in the afternoon and walked through AC stores, pick attractions with AC in queue. DW and I are used to being out a lot in the summer anyway. Used cooling towels, thought they worked great. I didn't think the crowds were as bad as first part of December. Very managable, we rode almost everything that we wanted. Only ride we really missed was FOP. If I could find my picture of Epcot after a light rain, it was almost empty. Go, enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter