Are we there yet?? The wait is torture! PTR for 3/16 trip.*Updated 9/5*

slp87

DIS Veteran
Like many other DISers, I start thinking about my next WDW trip as soon as I'm home. There's always something we didn't get to do or something new. I start by updating my spreadsheet to add/change things from the last trip. I know I can share my enthusiasm with fellow DISers and they won't think I'm crazy. Speaking of crazy, the past 9 months have rocked my world. In august 2014, I was rediagnosed with Breast cancer in my lung. It was very, very small and I am blessed it was caught so early due to its size. I had the upper lobe of my lung removed and started chemo. It's been tough, but my dreams of WDW help me along. So on with the show....

Cast of characters
Me (Suzanne) - 46, disney parks lover, first trip 1975. Two time breast cancer survivor. This is my "I made it through chemo" trip! Real life, 2nd grade teacher.
Lloyd, husband - 47, first trip 2000. Works in agriculture.
Russell, my dad - 77, also a disney parks lover, first trip 1975. Retired, DVC owner.

History
Our first WDW trip in '75 hooked my entire family which also includes my mom & younger brother. In 2000, my parents purchased DVC. My dad has generously let my brother & me use DVC. He's just been once with my brother since my mom passed away in '06, so Lloyd and I wanted him to go with us. Our last trip in '14 was our first without our daughter who's in college and was studying abroad at the time. It was a very different trip and quite relaxing.

April 23, 2015
Made our reservations for March 10-19, 2016. Currently it's for 9 days at the Boardwalk, our home resort, in a boardwalk view studio. We're still not sure if we will arrive Wednesday or Thursday. It all depends on flight times. At the 7 month mark I'll switch the first 2 night to VWL and the last 7 to BCV. we've stayed at BCV many times and love the access to Epcot. After walking around VWL on our last trip, we decided to give it a try. We've done 4 split stays in the past and have it down to a science. Currently our plan is to spend 8 days in the parks with visits to the water parks. I am planning on buying park tickets next month.
image.jpg
Pics from our March 2014 trip.
image.jpg

Following along. Sounds like a well needed break.

Speaking of crazy,the past 9 months have rocked my world. In august 2014, I was rediagnosed with Breast cancer in my lung. It was very, very small and I am blessed it was caught so early due to its size. I had the upper lobe of my lung removed and started chemo. It's been tough, but my dreams of WDW help me along

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in October it's the scariest thing in the world. We are planning a September 2016 trip for similar reasons. WDW is a wonderful place to celebrate and be happy. I really hope everything goes well with your chemo.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in October it's the scariest thing in the world. We are planning a September 2016 trip for similar reasons. WDW is a wonderful place to celebrate and be happy. I really hope everything goes well with your chemo.

We celebrated at WDW after my first diagnosis 7 yrs ago. It's so great to escape the real world!

Here's our tentative plans

Thursday, March 10
Arrive VWL
Swim/Relax
Epcot

Friday, March 11
Magic Kingdom

Saturday, March 12
Typhoon Lagoon
Move to BCV
Epcot

Sunday, March 13
Studios

Monday, March 14
Epcot

Tuesday, March 15
Typhoon Lagoon
Downtown Disney

Wednesday, March 16
Magic Kingdom

Thursday, March 17
Epcot

Friday, March 18
Typhoon Lagoon
Epcot
Magic Kingdom

Saturday, March 19
Early flight out

Yes, we don't go to AK. We've done everything there at least once and just don't really feel the need to go back. Maybe when something new opens we'll go back. We like to visit Epcot many times since the Flower & Garden Festival is going on so we can really take our time to enjoy everything as well as the Garden Rocks (Flower Power) concerts. We also take breaks everyday to hit the pool and rest. 9 - 10 days is really the optimal time for us so we can tour at a leisurely pace.

Last edited:

We still haven't decided if we are going to arrive late Wednesday or early Thursday. Keeping an eye on those airfares.

If we arrive on Wednesday we will try to go to the Top of the World at BLT to watch Wishes.

Thursday, March 10th
Sleep in
late breakfast at Kona
pool time
(If we arrive Wednesday, otherwise we'll pick up here)
Epcot about 3:30
FP for characters in future world
Catch the Jammitors (saw them last trip and really enjoyed it!)
Test Track FP about 4:30
Head to explore World Showcase via Mexico
Watch Sergio in Italy
Via Napoli about 6:30
American Adventure
IllumiNations

Last year there was a glitch on the MDE website and we were able to book both Soarin' and Test Track for every Epcot visit. It really spoiled us and we were able to enjoy both numerous times. While I love Soarin', I think Test Track wins out. We'll visit Soarin' once, but probably choose Test Track after that.

Friday, March 11th
I'm thinking we'll go to MK for our first full park day. We usually just grab a breakfast bar in the room before heading out. The plan is to be there at rope drop and head toward BTMRR. We'll follow that up with a trip on a Splash. It's one of my favorites and I was really bummed when it was being refurbished in '14. It actually reopened the day we came home. Next, we'll go to Adventureland to ride Pirates, see the Tiki Birds, and possibly Jungle Cruise. I'm personally not a Jungle Cruise fan, but DH likes it. After that we'll tackle Liberty Square by seeing the Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, and riding the riverboat if the timing works out. I'm planning for lunch at BOG near noon. I can't say that the menu really blows me away, but we've got to try it once and lunchtime seems like the right time.

That will probably do us for the morning so we'll head back to VWL for some pool time and a nap. For supper, I'm thinking WCC about 6:00. This is one of our "must dos" that we enjoy every trip. We can take or leave being in the middle of the antics so I'm happy wherever we're seated. Last trip we were directly in front of the fireplace which was so nice! The day was a little cool and rainy, just perfect for a meal by the fire.

We'll head back to MK toward Tomorrowland with a 7:30 FP to Space, squeeze in the Monsters Inc, Peoplemover, and maybe Carousel of Progress, before an 8:30 FP for Buzz. (Another fav!) we'll go back to Frontierland, maybe take the train, to catch MSEP. We like to get somewhere near the Country Bears to watch. We'll round out FP at BTMRR again about 9:30. It's one ride I like to experience during the day and night before catching Wishes and calling it a night.

I'm hoping it works out for us to catch the Dapper Dans, I love hearing them. I'm also unsure about supper. I don't want to be rushed to get back to MK....hmmm, thoughts?

Last edited:
image.jpg
Ahh, my happy place!

Here we are by the fireplace at Whispering Canyons. DH thinks we look like we're about to play poker. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 0
Saturday, March 12th
Today will be the day we move to BCV. I like to plan a water park day when we're moving so we have a little extra time to pack up and don't feel so rushed. One of our strategies when we do a split stay, is to pack everything we will need for the first part in one suitcase, so we only get out the necessities. I also bring a laundry bag that I can just throw in the used suitcase with out repacking everything. Since we're there about 10 days, I usually do laundry halfway through.

I'm thinking we might eat breakfast this morning, either Kona Café or Whispering Canyons. I like to have one nice breakfast and both of those would be easy to get to from VWL.

We plan to arrive at Typhoon Lagoon fairly close to opening. Although my dad cannot get in swimming pools due to health issues, it was only $20 more for the Water Parks and more option to our 8 day park hoppers and he thought he would like to go, hang out, and put his feet in the water.

Lunch will be at one of the quick service locations, although we might just skip it all together if we eat a big breakfast. One must have....those sinful donuts! Those are a favorite and a "must eat" every trip.

Since we will visit TL 3 times on our trip, we will probably stay till about 1 or 2. That also keeps us from getting too much sun. The one problem is waiting on our room to be ready. On one of our previous split stays our room wasn't ready till after 4:30. Initially I was thinking we would eat at Yachtsman's Steakhouse about 5:30, but now I'm thinking we might make this our night to eat around the Flower & Garden outdoor kitchens. Less pressure to be somewhere at an exact time.

We'll venture into Epcot for the evening. I was hoping we could get a FP for the new Frozen Ever After ride, but based on recent reports, it doesn't look like it will be open, so maybe we'll go for a ride on Soarin. I definitely plan to be in UK by 8:00 for the British Revolution. We always enjoy sitting on the curb and enjoying the music. We also discovered that this is a great time to see Pooh & friends with no wait. We walked right in last year and had them all to ourselves.

We'll end the night with IllumiNations. Last year we saw the show about 3 times. We like to view it from different spots. The steps of the Canada pavilion was one of my favorites, since we'll be nearby we'll try it again.

Gorgeous day!
ry%3D400

Spending time with Tigger & Pooh
ry%3D400

First change in plans....just found out Typhoon Lagoon is going to be closed and will reopen the day after I originally planned. So while I typically like to have a water park day on our switching day, looks like we're going to have to bite the bullet and do it on a park day. Here are the 3 affected days and my updated itinerary

Saturday, March 12
Epcot
Move to BCV
Epcot

Sunday, March 13
TL morning
Studios evening

Monday, March 14
Studios morning
Epcot evening

We try to avoid all EMH days, so this should still work out well.

Bought our theme park tickets, yay! We got 8 day park hoppers with the water parks and more option. I bought through Undercover tourist using the mouse savers discount. That will leave us with 1 non park day.

Since I switched up the itinerary, here's my new proposed plans for
Saturday, March 13th

So now, we'll pack up, call bell services and head down to the bus stop on our way to Epcot. We'll plan to arrive at rope drop and head to Test Track without FP. A lot of future world we'll just play by ear. I can leave or take Ellen's Energy, but we'll probably FP Spaceship Earth (not that it's really needed, but why not when you get 3), then head over to The Seas. We'll take some time to do the ride and of course see Turtle Talk with Crush. I love this show. So fun and the kids are so unpredictable! We'll close out the morning at the Imagination pavilion. I'm not a huge fan of the ride. When I was younger, I LOVED the ride. I loved Figment, everything about the pavilion. Now it's just sad. We didn't ride it last trip and since my dad hasn't ridden the new version, we'll do it again.

Next, we'll head to WS and possibly see Serveur Amusant on our way to Germany so Lloyd and my dad can eat lunch at Biergarten about 12:30. They both really like German food and I just can't get into it, so they can have a little guy time and I'll grab something from one of the Flower & Garden outdoor kitchens.

After lunch, we'll go to the Beach Club. I doubt our room will be ready, but we'll carry a backpack with our swimsuits so we can enjoy the pool. We'll plan to get settled in and rest up before heading back to Epcot for the evening.

For the evening, we'll get FP for Soarin and experience the Living with the Land ride before taking time to grab a bite to eat at Sunshine Seasons. I really like to eat here at least once in the trip. Lots of great food. We'll make our way back to Canada to see the movie and hopefully catch the British Revolution and see Pooh & Tigger. Then, go back over to watch IllumiNations from the steps in Canada.

Serveur Amusant in France
ry%3D400

Gotta love the Beach Club!
ry%3D480

Sunday, March 14th
Today we will go to Typhoon Lagoon. It will be the first day it's open since the winter rehab. We'll follow my plans that were originally set for Saturday.

For supper, we plan to eat at Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I think it will be much better not to do this on the day we're switching resorts.

We'll head over to DHS for the evening. We'll have FP for TSMM, ToT, and probably Star Tours. Neither my dad or my husband can ride Star Tours, so I might get one for GMR, although I don't think we'll need it. Does anyone know the chances of getting a Fantasmic FP late in the evening?? I could have a throwaway FP for earlier in the day and try for that. I'm not too worried. Those are the main rides we'll try to get to. If RNRC single ride line isn't too long, we might do that as well. We'll finish out the night at Fantasmic.

Yay! The hat is gone! Wasn't a fan.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

Things have been busy, but there have been some developments on the planning front.

First, we bought our airline tickets! I've been watching and waiting for the right price and it finally came along. We are officially arriving on Wednesday, March 9th about 4:30. I'm hoping we can go over to Trader Sam's at the Poly and maybe watch wishes from the Top of the World at BLT before calling it a night. We will definitely plan to eat breakfast Thursday morning at Kona Café.

When the 7 month window opened for us to switch from BWV to BCV, we had to get waitlisted. :( I'm thinking we may have to stay at BWV, but I'll be fine with that. We did get a boardwalk view which we haven't had before and hey, I'll be at WDW!!!
ry%3D400

Just 1 week till I can reserve our dining! So on with our possible itinerary.....

Monday, March 15th

Today we'll head back to the Studios to catch the last few rides if we feel it needed, mainly to ride Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. I won't waste my FPs here. Otherwise, we might take a morning to sleep in and take it easy. We'll just grab something from a quick service restaurant for lunch.

In the evening we'll go back to Epcot to check out more of the Flower & Garden Festival, ride TT and eat at Via Napoli again. (We really love it!) We'll round out the night by watching the Japanese Drummers, British Revolution, and of course IllumiNations. We like to watch it from lots of different locations throughout the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter