Are we there yet?

disneytriplets

Mouseketeer
We left PA on Friday at 10:30am. I broke up the trip into 12 segments so the kids could see our progress and know the approximate bathroom break times. I hoped to complete four segments on Friday before my 20 month old made the trip unbearable. To my surprise, we completed five segments and she was still happily climbing back into her carseat after each bathroom break! For a girl who does not like the car...we were shocked...and very thankful!!!

After an overnight stop at Carolina Crossroads, we optimistically started segment six with the hope of arriving near the FL border by bedtime. Our plan quickly fell away as DH felt something wasn't right and thought the camper breaks weren't responding. But after a quick check they seemed fine and we pulled onto I-95. Then, DH saw a warning pop up that the front, right tire pressure was low. We pulled off at the next exit, filled the tire and hoped it was fixed (even though we both had a bad feeling it wasn't a quick fix).

Sure enough, we watched the pressure slowly fall over the next hour. We pulled into a Walmart hoping they could do a quick fix for us but they were too busy. DH bought a little tire filler thingy (I'm sure it has a fancy name. I just don't know what that fancy name is at this moment.) and the new plan was to fill the tire as necessary during potty breaks but still get into GA by bedtime.

The tire had its own plan and it began to lose air too fast causing us to stop every 45 minutes. We only made it through a good portion of SC. It was a disappointing day because the kids were doing amazing yet we didn't make it too far on the map. I am just thankful to only have a tire issue and not a major problem. I'm also thankful for car technology because we might not have realized the tire was going down till it was too late.

There is a Walmart close by and their tire/auto service center is open on Sunday. DH is heading there now. Hoping they can fixit and we can be back on the road before lunchtime.

The kids haven't asked, "Are we there yet?". I gave them each $20 and for every time they ask the dreaded question, they lose a dollar. It's worked like a charm!!

Spoke to soon. DH can't get our vehicle to start so he can go to Walmart. Hoping it's just the battery!

Oh boy. Take a deep breath. :crowded:

Good luck!

Bama Ed

Waiting for a flatbed to come pick up the Suburban. DH thinks it's the starter. There is a Pep Boys in Charleston (approx 40 miles away) that is open and they have the starter in stock. They can replace it and fix the tire today.

Hoping it turns out to be the starter and nothing worse.

I'm not stressing. After last year with my daughter's leukemia diagnosis, this is a drop in the bucket. Hopefully we'll get there on time tomorrow. If not, we'll just modify our plans and life will go on.

Hopefully just a slight delay until the magic starts. The Fort is still there waiting for you. Get things fixed up and let the fun begin.

j

The kids haven't asked, "Are we there yet?". I gave them each $20 and for every time they ask the dreaded question, they lose a dollar. It's worked like a charm!!

I am totally stealing this idea for our drive from MA next week!!

Hope the rest of your drive is smooth sailing...

If all goes according to the "new" plan, we'll be on the road by 6:45am.

Pep Boys came through for us and changed the starter (took several guys to remove the old one), attempted to fix the tire, realized the rim was cracked, fought with the spare tire to free it and finally put the spare tire on. They stayed late to get the job done.

Ironically, we had the Suburban checked out just a few weeks ago to make sure it was in tip-top shape. Thought we were being proactive to avoid any problems.

Fort Wilderness, here we come!!! (Hopefully!)

Rusty,

Keep an eye out for them early this afternoon and let us know they made it. :)

j

Keep up the good spirits. Issues on the road happen all the time, its how you react that makes the difference.

Yay! That's about when we crossed FL border yesterday! In line at Test Track now. Wave if you pass by site 1411....lots of nice spots open I there now if you doing premium. Safe last bit of travel!:cheer2:

We made it! First we made a walmart stop then arrived at FW around 4:00. So thankful we are here safe and sound!! We are in the 400 loop. :cool1:

Glad to hear you arrived safely and sorry to hear about the vehicle issues. Sometimes these things just sneak up on us no matter how hard we try to avoid them.

Hope the weather is good for ya...

So glad you made it! I've been following along, reminds us of some of our more, uhm, interesting trips down.

Have fun!

:cloud9: Through all the report above, your silver-lining inner-peace kind of an attitude is showing!

I want to take a tip from you about this. I want things to be so 'best' that I can be hard on everybody and expect:sad2: 'best'.

I am going to try to remember your long range perspective, on our trip that (may- should!) begin in a few hours.
And :lovestruc your avatar pic. Fits you and your outlook!

May you, dh and kids have all inner sunshine, and a good portion of outer sunshine, all trip long :goodvibes. Hope to read of some :grouphug: pixiedust:moments!

Oh, so glad Pep Boys took good care of you and that you made it safely! I remember a long time ago Disney trip we took before we had our son when our starter went out. We had an old Datsun, lol. My hubby was so sure no one would have that part but the first auto parts store we drove up to had it and he replaced it. The auto tech hubby brought his trip tool stash so we lucked out. I hope you all have a magical time! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter