• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you an alcohol snob?

Boopuff

DIS Veteran
By that I mean, do you have a favorite brand of alcohol that no other brand can substitute? Do you bring your favorite along with you to make sure you’ll have it?

i was in the Dominican Republic and a guy at the bar was really angry that he couldn’t get his Miller Lite at the all inclusive resort. They had their local beer (since Miller is an import…). So that made me wonder how many people are big brand loyalists.

Not at all. If I *do* drink I'll have whatever is on offer where I am. All hard liquor tastes like rubbing alcohol to me, even the 'good' brands. I have to have it mixed into something else-I like Tequila Rose Strawberry. You can taste the liquor but it doesn't smack you in the face.

My husband is a beer snob. He likes his Great Lakes Brewery Commodore Perry. I’m not a huge beer fan but I drink it cause that’s what we have around the house and to be honest you get a pretty good buzz 😆 Other than that I don’t really drink anything.

Don't drink, smoke, or do drunks but did some coolers back in 1999. Maybe a glass of wine or two.

I prefer some of the craft beer styles vs the mass produced cheap stuff but if someone hands me a coors light or corona I will drink it. I haven't really tried a lot of "high quality" hard alcohols. My go to is Vanilla Jim Beam or Fireball.

do you have a favorite brand of alcohol that no other brand can substitute?
Herradura tequila. If a Tex-Mex restaurant doesn’t have Herradura for my margarita, I’ll pass. I’m old school and I like what I like.

After my initial post I realized that I am an alcohol snob. My fave special treat is Baileys. I can tell if a place is trying to pass off any other brand. I know my Baileys!

I'm a wine drinker and I don't think I have ever been to a winery where I like every varietal they offer. So I would say no, Brand is not a good gauge of quality.
As for hard liquor, no experience with various brands. But on more than one occasion I have been stunned at what people people will pay for hard liquor. A local night spot offered a deal that I could not believe people were excited about. $150 for all the hard liquor you could drink for the night, $200 for "premium" spirits. More surprising to me were the people who said they were already spending $150 a night on Friday, and again on Saturday night on booze.
And over on the Cruise Line Forum, there has been some discussion of some cruise lines that offer "unlimited" drink packages, putting a cap of 15 hard liquor drinks a day on that unlimited package. I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE consuming 15 drinks in a day and being able to function.

No bar/restaurant is ever going to be able to stock every brand of liquor since there are so many. Anyone who gets upset about the fact some specific one isn't available is likely the type of person who likes displaying a sense of superiority in public about any number of things.

Some people are also wine snobs. The price of wine seems to be more about availability then to the fact the quality/taste are that much better. Some wines are apparently more popular due to the fact they are expensive.

Not a snob at all. My liver doesn't know the difference. When I order cocktails out, it's usually with rail liquor anyways. If it comes out of a glass bottle, that's good enough for me.

No. Anyone who will "accept no substitutes" likely has a poor sense of quality. There is no one best alcoholic beverage, and I love variety, including different price ranges and different styles.

I remember talking about wine with a French coworker. They appreciate quality, but also appreciate value. I remember talking about the then $2 Charles Shaw wine at Trader Joe's, and this guy was saying it was fine for an everyday bottle with dinner.

I think it really depends. I don't drink hard stuff, so I cannot comment on that.

Wine is my thing, and I cannot afford to be a wine snob :rotfl2:I will drink Franzia, so yea my standards are pretty low. I also like to try stuff from "local" wineries in places if I am visiting the place. I am perfectly happy stuff like Yellow Tail, Woodbridge etc...

I am not too big into beer, but it can be fun and interesting from time to time. I will only drink stuff is like regional, and Guinness. I have no desire to drink stuff like Budweiser, Miller, Coors etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter