Are you breastfeeding a toddler?

TinkerbellMama

DIS Veteran
Hello. :wave:

I am a proud nursing mama of a 19 month old whirlwind toddler. I am hoping to get a good response from any other breastfeeding mamas of toddlers. I know there are a lot of you, because when I went to WDW last November/December, ALL of the babies nursing in the baby care center were over 12 months old! :thumbsup2

So, who else is breastfeeding an older baby/toddler?? Have any tips or experiences to share about nursing in WDW or elsewhere?

P.S. I am not looking for opinions about whether or not it's appropriate. The research is VERY clear that breastfeeding past one year is nothing but beneficial (healthwise, socially, emotionally, etc.) so long as both mother and baby want to continue. I am also not interested in whether others find it appropriate at WDW. :rotfl: I'm sure I'll get a few of those opinions, anyway! :rolleyes1

Still nursing my little guy who turned 3 in May! It's the best. He's cut way back and he only nurses once or twice a day now, but he seems in no hurry to give it up totaly - and that's fine with me. We haven't nursed in public since he was about 2 1/2 (not out of embarassment, he had just cut back to mostly nursing first thing in the morning and last thing at night by then).

Anyway, I love nursing a toddler and it's been a great experience for both of us. I've been lucky in that I've never gotten any negative reaction from anyone. Lots of my friends have nursed their little ones until they were well over 2, so it's not that odd in our circle.

Also, Paul was a micropreemie born 13 weeks early and weighing only 1 pound and 7 ounces. He spent 83 days in the hospital before coming home. All my friends and family saw how hard I worked to pump for him, eventually teach him to nurse, etc. And, they heard for themselves the doctors and nurses go on and on about how it was such an amazing thing for him to have my milk and what a difference it would make for him in the short and long term. So, nobody has ever questioned me about it!

We did go to WDW when he was about 22 months old and he nursed around the world then - mostly during down times when there wasn't something so exciting to see or do - boat rides, monorails, sitting on benches waiting for parades, waiting for shows, etc. No problems at all! And, I can honestly say that, mostly due to being able to nurse him, we never ever expereinced a single two-year-old melt down on the whole 2 week trip. That Mommy's Milk is magic stuff!

Sure, it's not for everyone - and that's fine. You make choices for your family, and I'll make mine. :goodvibes

So glad there's others out there BF-ing their over 1-year-old!! :thumbsup2

I have a DD2 and a DS 2 months, who I breast feed!

mommiepoppins said:
uh mine is 2 going on three......my doula did it until her son was 4

No flames here...my "minimum" goal is 2 years (only 5 months to go!), but I'd prefer him to be 3 or 4 before he weans! :wizard:

Not any more.

Nursed my oldest until 18 months then tried for the second.

She was born 9 months later and we just finished last year. Her last night of nursing--the night before her THIRD birthday. :)

After she turned 2-2.5 or so...nursing became a private endeavor. I lasted that long since she was a small fry--but personally decided to not invite criticism and went private with it.

I nursed DD (3 in January) until just a few months ago. She was down to just nursing at bedtime and I became pregnant again in March and it was getting painful w/ pregnancy symptoms so I gently encouraged her to give up that last ritual.
We visited WDW last year in May when she was not quite 2.5 and was still nursing several times a day. We really liked the baby care stations. We also liked the shady area that serves as seating for the two CS places (I think its Pecos Bills and Pirate/taco place) Since the taco place was closed, the seating there was empty but it was very cool and quiet. DH and I would have a drink (Dole Whips were very near by!) and DD would nurse and settle in for a nap.
I know it doesn't work for everyone, (I weaned myself at 6 months much to my mother's chagrin, both my brothers nursed for 2-3 years.) But DD was and still is a very happy healthy kid and I am happy she was able to nurse as long as she did. :cheer2:

:sad1: My DD just wrapped up with nursing about a month and a half ago at 21.5 months. I had a few tears after it was over...couldn't believe that the nursing days were done, but it felt like a very natural conclusion.

DD had three trips to WDW nursing, the last one at 18 months. At that point, she was only nursing about three times a day. Morning, naptime, and bedtime. If convenient, we'd nurse in the Baby Care Center. Probably my favorite place to nurse her was the boat ride from MGM to Epcot. It's a nice 30 minute ride so I never felt rushed. After a morning at MGM, we would hop on the boat where DD would fall asleep as I nursed her. Then we'd move her into the stroller that we could just wheel off the boat and into the World Showcase.

My oldest daughter, now 3, weaned herself sometime after her second birthday. As long as she wanted to feed I made myself available. I intend to feed my 3 month old until she weans herself as well however long that may be.

Funny thing is that just the other day my 3 year old got into the fridge and helped herself to some expressed milk. Took the cap off the bottle, had a taste and promptly spit it out (cartoon style) saying "yuck!". Then proceeded to insist that nobody, not even baby sister should drink that stuff and poured it out onto the floor. My dog then promptly lapped it up and looked to me for more. Life is never dull around here!

My little one is going on 20 months and still nursing strong with no desire to wean :teeth: My last one nursed until she was 2 1/2. Glad to see other extended nursers out there :thumbsup2

WAHMto5 said:
My little one is going on 20 months and still nursing strong with no desire to wean :teeth: My last one nursed until she was 2 1/2. Glad to see other extended nursers out there :thumbsup2

I just noticed in another thread that our AKL stays overlap by a day! Mabe we'll see you there. Just look for the tiny blond tornado, that'll be Paul . . . :crazy:

My DS turned 4 a month ago and nurses about once every week or two. I really enjoyed nursing him through those difficult toddler stages, but now I'm ready for him to be done and I think he's almost there. We've had some really sweet moments. I'm glad to see all of these other extended nursing mamas. I haven't met any IRL outside of LLL so I guess in my mind I still feel like a "freak". It's nice to know it's not totally true.

GEM said:
Still nursing my little guy who turned 3 in May! It's the best. He's cut way back and he only nurses once or twice a day now, but he seems in no hurry to give it up totaly - and that's fine with me. We haven't nursed in public since he was about 2 1/2 (not out of embarassment, he had just cut back to mostly nursing first thing in the morning and last thing at night by then).

Anyway, I love nursing a toddler and it's been a great experience for both of us. I've been lucky in that I've never gotten any negative reaction from anyone. Lots of my friends have nursed their little ones until they were well over 2, so it's not that odd in our circle.

Also, Paul was a micropreemie born 13 weeks early and weighing only 1 pound and 7 ounces. He spent 83 days in the hospital before coming home. All my friends and family saw how hard I worked to pump for him, eventually teach him to nurse, etc. And, they heard for themselves the doctors and nurses go on and on about how it was such an amazing thing for him to have my milk and what a difference it would make for him in the short and long term. So, nobody has ever questioned me about it!

We did go to WDW when he was about 22 months old and he nursed around the world then - mostly during down times when there wasn't something so exciting to see or do - boat rides, monorails, sitting on benches waiting for parades, waiting for shows, etc. No problems at all! And, I can honestly say that, mostly due to being able to nurse him, we never ever expereinced a single two-year-old melt down on the whole 2 week trip. That Mommy's Milk is magic stuff!

Sure, it's not for everyone - and that's fine. You make choices for your family, and I'll make mine. :goodvibes
yeah!!!!!!! :woohoo: :grouphug:

I nursed my son untill he was 18 months when he pretty much self weaned. He was far too busy to sit still long enough to nurse then. :lol My oldest had some medical issues at birth that prevented us from nursing (though we tried our darndest with several LCs!) so I pumped for him for 6 months before starting any formula. I was determined to nurse DS #2 and he was a nursing champ from the get go. :) I think had we gone to WDW while he was still nursing (his first trip was just a couple months after he weaned) I would have done the baby care centers only because he was so easily distracted and was more likely to "pop off" and sit up to take a look around...lifting my shirt with him as he sat up...so it was more difficult to be discrete (BUT I would not have refused to nurse him if we were not near a baby care center).

Kudos to all moms who nurse, be it for 4 weeks or 4 years! :cheer2:

:thumbsup2 I am still nursing my little one, too, who turns 1 year in about a week.

My older kids: dd now age 15 nursed for 4 months, dd now age 10 nursed for 11 months, dd now age 8 nursed for 3.5 years, ds now almost 3 nursed for 16 months, and now I am hoping to continue breastfeeding my littlest dd for at least another year.

WTG, Ladies! :wizard:

GEM said:
I just noticed in another thread that our AKL stays overlap by a day! Mabe we'll see you there. Just look for the tiny blond tornado, that'll be Paul . . . :crazy:

There are a few I see that are going all at the same time, would be fun to meet up at the pool or something! I also have a blond tornado, our youngest;)

I'm still nursing DD 15months. Although I wish she'd cut back her 4aday nursings to 2aday. (drop the middle of the night and middle of the day ones). Any tips? Other than that I don't mind waiting for self-weaning...just I need sleep!

Also, have you ever been away from a DC for 24 hours while nursing? DH and I were invited to a wedding 4 hours away and we'd like to go, but babies don't mix well with fancy weddings.

dd is 19 months and still going strong :) High five to all the breastfeeding mamas!!

I was just wondering.. are any of you MDC mamas? :blush:

I am still nursing my 16 month old. I am ready for it to be over but he is not. He is my 4th child and I generally nurse until this time- the longest I have gone before was 18 months. So I was hoping before Disney but ... doesn't seem to be happening. Some days it is just morning, naptime and night. Others it can be even more . I guess he is setting the time table still.. He does eat quite a bit and drinks some whole milk throughout the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter