Are you eating Low Carb? Post your tips here!

Whoa Jill! I am coming to your house tonight!!:) Sounds wonderful!

:wave: Hi everyone! Glad to hear you are all doing well.

I adore this way of eating. I have been eating low carb since July 28th of last year. No looking backwards for me. The change in my health, the lack of out of control cravings, and being able to eat real (satisfying) food.... all make this a way of life that I can live permanently. :teeth:

I think everyone does their own little variations. I have a really hard time with resteraunts so if I am going to McD's for lunch, I'm ok it's a 1/4 pounder without the bun. If I am going to a "real" resteraunt for a nice dinner or on vacation I don't even bother trying! I just blow it completely. The next day I go right back on. It seems to work for me :)
I have never gotten the headaches or felt sick at all so I guess I am lucky. Since I am grumpy all the time nobody can tell the difference!
I also don't lose a lot of sleep over "sugar cured" bacon or the carbs in cheese. I skip the veggie carbs and use those for the tiny little hidden cabs, works for me. I don't see the no caffiene and aspartame as an issue at all.. that wasn't even in the original diet! I can drink 6 or 8 diet cokes everyday and still lose weight just fine.
oh Stats...
335/235/I'll know when I get there!
5'10"

Originally posted by DixieDreamer
I have been eating low carb since July 28th of last year.

You're doing great, DixieDreamer! But you're doing it right. It's a life change, not a diet. Right? At least that's what it feels like to me. A life change.

I'm so glad to read your note, Alex! Sounds like we're kind of doing the same thing. I haven't been eating out much -- of course it's only been two weeks -- but I'm not sweating the small stuff. I do enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning and a Diet A & W Root Beer at night, and I've given neither of those up. This has to be something I can live with forever!

Originally posted by WebmasterAlex
If I am going to a "real" resteraunt for a nice dinner or on vacation I don't even bother trying! I just blow it completely. The next day I go right back on.

That's what I plan to do when we go to (where else????) WDW in December. I usually lose then, anyway, with all the walking we do. Congratulations on your weight loss!! You must be doing something right!

Question for everyone . . .

What kind of vitamin(s) are you all taking, assuming you're taking a vitamin? I was so tired, yesterday, and I thought a vitamin might help.

Pat

322 days and counting . . . again

inky dinky doo - I take Atkins Basic #3 and Atkins Essential Oils supplements. I can tell a real difference in how I feel while taking them. I chose these over the other more generic broad spectrum supplements - as they were designed for someone eating low carb specifically.

As for the eating out. If you WANT to... it is very easy to eat low carb at any restaurant. I ate low carb at WDW the entire time I was at DIS CON and I ate GOOD! Did you know that the candy shop on mainstreet at the MK has two chocolate confections that are SUGAR FREE (made with malitol). If you go up to the counter with all the chocolate yummmies... they are right there. I had a SF chocolate/peanut butter cup complete with Mickeys head on the top. It was DELISH and had about 12 carbs in it according to the info I got from the CM. Also, at the fountainview cafe in Epcot... they have a sugar free cheesecake that does not have a crust... and has a sprinkle of sliced strawberries and blueberries on the top. It was OUTSTANDING with a good cup of expresso - sitting watching the fountains and indulging in that LOW CARB treat. YUM! The food court in the Land at Epcot also has lots of great options including Sugar free ice cream that is YUMMY too. As for meals..... just like anywhere else ... just make wise use of the chocies available to you. Fast food sites usually have a great chicken ceasar salad available... or I get a stacked deli sandwich - toss the bread and grab a knife and fork! At the sit down restaurants... order the best meat or fish dish they have that is not breaded and ask to have extra vegetables for the side dish instead of a baked potato. They are always willing to oblige and you are all set! Don't forget a great salad with FULL FAT dressing! And for dessert - they can usually bring you a bowl of fresh sliced berries... order a cup of fine coffee to go with it and ask them to bring you cream... then just sprinkle a little packet of splenda on it and use some of the cream to splash on the berries... and voila! YUM! At home I have berries with a dollop of real whipped cream (sweetened with splenda) but at restaurants I don't trust them to use sugar substitutes in the whipped cream... so I just have plain old berries and cream. I travel a fair amount for my work - eating at fine restaurants often - and I have not found it ANY problem to eat very well - and stay on plan. It's just about choices.

Wishing you ALL success!

Great posts!
What I wonder about going off with a big splurge is this: how will my tummy take it? It seems I would feel bad or even sick to my stomach. Maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong. Doesn't sound like it bothers Alex but he also tolerates aspartane and didn't have headaches or anything either (so he is a bad example;) )

I've been low-carbing since August 2002... LOVE it. Down 30 pounds, and feel great... much happier, less moody, and feel all over better. My best tip? Don't get to know Mr. Stover on a first-name basis! ;)

---

Some people are OK with splurging on a high carb meal, and some people feel like they're hung over for a few days afterwards... sick to their stomach, headaches, the whole nine yards.

---

I think low-carbing at restaurants is easy, too... I LOVE steak... that's generally what I'll order anyway. Add a salad, and maybe some steamed veggies... perfect low-carb meal.

---

As far as low-carbing at Disney... it's EASY, if you want to.

I'll give you my run-down, for what it's worth:

You can eat almost anywhere on the property. Most restaurants (even the walk-up counters) have salads, and of course, the old stand-bys of hamburgers minus the bun. You CAN order just a burger, no fries, no carrots. You just have to be sure to ask for it.

Here's a quick rundown by park of good things/places to eat:

Magic Kingdom:
Columbia Harbor House - garden galley salad
Cosmic Ray's - chicken, chicken caesar salad, grilled chicken sandwiches
Diamond Horseshoe Review - salads
Pecos Bill's - Kit Carson Chicken Salad (freshly tossed grilled chicken, jicama slaw, lettuce, vegetables and cheese in a lime vinaigrette)
Lunching Pad - grilled turkey legs
Plaza Restaurant - sandwiches (ditch the bun) including turkey, cheesesteak & hamburgers, chicken & strawberry salad, sugar-free milkshakes
I think the Ice Cream shop next to the Plaza restaurant has sugar-free ice cream, as well)
Frontierland - one of the carts along the river has turkey legs as well

Epcot

Future World
Coral Reef Restaurant - good selection of seafood
Electric Umbrella - grilled chicken, chicken caesar salad
Fountainview Cafe - sugar-free cheesecake - this is WONDERFUL!
The Land - chicken caesar salad, land salad, chicken & ribs, sugar-free ice cream

World Showcase
Germany - the Biergarten is full of sausages, pork, sauerkraut, salad bar, cheeses, and is an all-you-can eat buffet. Also, for a counter meal, eat at Sommerfest - brats & sauerkraut, or a smoked ham sandwich (ditch the bread) to die for!
American Adventure - Liberty Inn - grilled chicken, chicken caesar salad, side garden salad, sugar-free ice cream. I think there's a cart out front with turkey legs here, too.
Norway - Restaurant Akershus - another all-you-can eat buffet, with a variety of hot and cold meats, salads, veggies.
United Kingdom - check out the Rose and Crown for lunch
Japan - Teppanyaki Grill - DELICIOUS! It's a grill-your-food-at-the-table place... they've got steak, chicken, shrimp and fresh veggies. Get the green tea, and skip the rice. Wonderful food & fun!

MGM Studios
50's Prime Time Cafe - chicken caesar salad, grilled shrimp salad, pan-seared salmon
Back Lot Express - chicken caesar salad, burgers
Brown Derby - COBB SALAD!
Mama Melrose's - a portabello appetizer that's delish!, caesar salad mediterranean, grilled rib-eye, pork marsala (yummy!)... just ask them not to bring the bread to the table!
Toluca Legs Turkey Co. - hmmmm... can't remember what they have
Toy Story Pizza Planet - tossed salad, toy story salad
Sci-Fi Dine In - my top pick in the park... get the salmon with green beans - YUM YUM YUM!
Hollywood Scoops - sugar-free ice cream that is soooooo good!

Animal Kingdom
Flame Tree Barbecue - smoked 1/2 chicken, 1/2 slab ribs, salad
Pizzafari - grilled chicken caesar salad
Rainforest Cafe - their version of the Cobb salad is terrific!
Restaurantosaurus - grilled chicken salad
Tusker House

Hope that helps some. With all the walking, if you can avoid the temptations for the most part, you should be able to maintain, if not lose, while you're there. Just stay away from the pastry shops in Epcot! I think I'll indulge in some of the wonderful fish in England (no chips, though) on this trip... I'll just have to walk around the world twice!

If you do have a sweet attack, the sugar-free cheesecake in Epcot is WONDERFUL... no crust, and a couple berries on top. Yummy! And the sugar-free ice cream is soooo sweet (though I'm pretty sure it's got carbs... I think it's fat-free too, but hey, it's a vacation, right?) and good on a hot day!

You all have some great suggestions for eating well at WDW. I think I'll print out your messages and take them with me when I go. I cannot wait to try the sugar free cheesecake at the Fountainview. It sounds heavenly!

Honestly, I have no desire to go off and binge after eating this way. This way just feels too right. I don't think, though, that I'm going to worry about "reading the back of the can" while I'm at Disney World. I'm just going to use common sense (and your list). ;)

I had to laugh at myself Saturday when I went to Kroger (my grocery store). I found myself wandering through the huge produce section, scrutinizing the dietary info posted above each item. It's amazing how many carbs some things have . . . and I used to eat them without thinking. Not anymore. I'm becoming much more aware.

Pat

316 days and counting . . . again

Hi! I have been lurking here for a while. I started low carb eating about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I have lost 4 lbs. (Incentive = blood work results + I know I need to lose weight). I am starting to feel better already...just by the way I eat. I am also eating a lot of fat free and sugar free foods.

I have found a website to give me the carb totals of foods: www.lowcarb.ca/

I hope you don't mind if I pop in once and a while for inspiration and advice once in a while. I am very determined to turn my eating habits around.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter