Are you generally happy with your Fastpass view of Fantasmic?

Belle5

DIS Veteran
It will be just me and my 15 year old son (so not with a young child) viewing Disneyland's Fantasmic in April. We are on a somewhat limited budget as Disneyland is not our main reason for visiting California. We have seen the WDW version at least a dozen times over the years, including this past March. I know the Disneyland version is supposed to be better. I am wondering if we will generally be happy with just the Fastpass view of the show or do you think it is really very disappointing to view it from that area? I am inclined to just view from the Fastpass area unless you tell me that I have to arrive ridiculously early and my back and legs are going to kill me from standing so long and the view really is pretty terrible, etc...

It will be just me and my 15 year old son (so not with a young child) viewing Disneyland's Fantasmic in April. We are on a somewhat limited budget as Disneyland is not our main reason for visiting California. We have seen the WDW version at least a dozen times over the years, including this past March. I know the Disneyland version is supposed to be better. I am wondering if we will generally be happy with just the Fastpass view of the show or do you think it is really very disappointing to view it from that area? I am inclined to just view from the Fastpass area unless you tell me that I have to arrive ridiculously early and my back and legs are going to kill me from standing so long and the view really is pretty terrible, etc...
I would not watch the 1st show with a FP. Dining package only for me for show #1.

I have watched the 2nd show a few times without even a FP, just standby, and been fine.

ETA: this was unusually good, but this was standby for the second show on December 17.
mGwpcQ9.jpg

I did the fastpass viewing for the 9 pm show in November and was happy with it. I'm not a huge show person, so I didn't want to pay for a dinner package. We were towards the front of the section so our view was pretty good. You can even feel some of the mist from the water during certain parts, if that gives you any idea of how close you are sitting. I think they let us in 30 minutes before the show started.

Downside: we had to rope drop that day in order to get fastpasses for the 9pm show (that was a 14 hour day for us); another downside is that we had to wait about an hour prior to getting in. The ticket says when you can begin lining up. Lastly, while my friend and I, who are both 25, were fine sitting on the ground, I noticed some older adults needing to take multiple stretches before the show started. And after they had a very hard time getting up..I was actually nervous for one lady trying to stand because she had gotten so stiff. Her family had to help her. So if you have a hard time sitting and getting up, take that into consideration.

Since you'll be visiting during Spring Break, is it possible for you to do a F! Dining Package, e.g. the Hungry Bear F! Dining Package for either the first or second show? That is the least expensive package with the most flexible menu. You can order a dining package meal OR order off the regular menu -- same dining package price, but at least you have more choices. This would give you the best view with the least wait time. The HB reserved section for the first show is just left of the BB section (the most expensive section). All 3 reserved sections are up front by the water, facing the island, centered viewing. It really is worth having a good view of this show, and this would save you a lot of waiting around. For the second F! show, the 3 reserved areas have been grouped together in one big area, so you could be right behind someone from BB (for a lot less money!). There is a very small free FP section just to the right of the RBT reserved section, up by the water (sort of by the Petrified Tree) that is allowed to sit. If you are among the first few guests to line up for the free FP viewing area, you'll be allowed to sit there and have a great view of the show. But the HB package really is a great deal -- especially since you have to eat dinner anyway -- so you might as well get a F! FP and a very good view of the show to boot.
If you stay in your viewing section after the first show, you can watch MMM from that same section. The projections will be shown on the water screens, music will be piped in, and you can see the fireworks because they launch from behind Toon Town.

Last edited:

I can't answer your question directly because we did the BB dining package for our 9pm showing of Fantasmic this past December. However, I will say that I totally LOVED Disneyland's Fantasmic. There was nothing better than seeing the Black Pearl sailing across the river. The transformation was truly magical. Fantasmic was made for Disneyland and the Rivers of America.

I've done fastpass twice for Fantasmic since the show reopened, and haven't done it since. I don't think it's worth it. I hate the view from the fastpass area. The show overall might be better at DL but the viewing situation is a million times better at WDW. I don't even bother with Fantasmic anymore at DL, it's too frustrating.

If you can stay up late, then fast passing the second show, I think is totally worth it’s

We had blue bayou dinning package our first night and of course had great seats. Our next night we grabbed fastpasses for the second show. We went straight to the line up after fireworks and had a great straight on view. The only difference between the BB spot and the fastpass spot was we got a little wet in the fastpass spot.

To the OP: Since your trip dates fall during Spring Break, you might want to make a F! dining package reservation for one of the later days in your trip (i.e. just not your first day), then try to see F! with a free FP on your first day (preferably the second show). Remember that the free FPs run out quickly (usually by around noon/not much later), so get yours early. If the free FPs work out for you and your son, great! Just cancel your dining package reservation, unless you want to see the show again from a different view. If the free FPs don't work out well, then at least you'll have another chance using your dining package on another night.

Last edited:
in November I did the second showing with a fastpass and was pleasantly surprised at our view. Previously we have done dining or dessert packages but this last trip it just wasn't in the budget for us. We lined up about 30 minutes before the show and ended up with a front row view. It was off to the left side, not a central view like the packages but still great in my opinion. After this experience I don't think I will bother with the expensive packages again.

To the OP: Since your trip dates fall during Spring Break, you might want to make a F! dining package reservation for one of the later days in your trip (i.e. just not your first day), then try to see F! with a free FP on your first day (preferably the second show). Remember that the free FPs run out quickly (usually by around noon/not much later), so get yours early. If the free FPs work out for you and your son, great! Just cancel your dining package reservation, unless you want to see the show again from a different view. If the free FPs don't work out well, then at least you'll have another chance using your dining package on another night.

I really like this idea!

Since all the dining is consolidated into one section for the 2nd show, does that mean the other 2 sections become FP, so you have a chance for a front and center view with FP at the 2nd show?

Since all the dining is consolidated into one section for the 2nd show, does that mean the other 2 sections become FP, so you have a chance for a front and center view with FP at the 2nd show?
No, the reserved sections all stay reserved. The tapes between HB, BB, and RBT are lifted so those 3 groups mingle and become one big reserved section. But reserved stays reserved and non-reserved stays in its own section.

I did it with FP this past December and had no issues with the view, with everyone sat down there were no issues of peoples shoulders/heads being in the way but the seating is basically being sat on the floor so nothing like WDW's. I love the show and some parts I liked more than the WDW version but I don't agree with all the people I hear say that Disneyland's is better than WDW's

I did it with FP this past December and had no issues with the view, with everyone sat down there were no issues of peoples shoulders/heads being in the way but the seating is basically being sat on the floor so nothing like WDW's...
The viewing areas where guests are seated on the ground are the Dining Package reserved areas (HB, BB, RBT) and the small section of free FP guests to the right of the RBT reserved section. All other free FP and standby viewing is standing.

Is all the FP area and the dinner packages section sit on the ground or some of it stand only? Also if you have just a FP and someone in your party has a scooter (my mom) do you still get the same seating area or will she have to go somewhere else?

thanks

The viewing areas where guests are seated on the ground are the Dining Package reserved areas (HB, BB, RBT) and the small section of free FP guests to the right of the RBT reserved section. All other free FP and standby viewing is standing.

What's the best way to get into the seated free FP section for the 2nd show?

What's the best way to get into the seated free FP section for the 2nd show?
I've never read of anyone doing it for the second show, but I would assume it works the same way as it does for the first show -- be among the first few groups to line up for the free FP viewing section by the Mark Twain dock when the section opens. You can ask F! CMs earlier in the day (during the first show would be a good time because all the CMs are on duty then) for clarification -- then update here!

Is all the FP area and the dinner packages section sit on the ground or some of it stand only? Also if you have just a FP and someone in your party has a scooter (my mom) do you still get the same seating area or will she have to go somewhere else?

thanks
From what I've read and in my experience, there is no standing allowed in the dining package sections, even in the back. If your mom needs HC viewing, there is a different section for that. I don't think she'll be able to stay seated on her scooter in the dining package area. Have you looked into the RBT Premium Dining Package? That package has dinner (seated at tables on the RBT patio) during the first F! show. You have to book this package by phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter