Are you protective/stingy with your points??

edk35

DIS Veteran
:rotfl: The reason I ask is this: Okay we are going to WDW in Aug. We are staying at BWV the first 4 nights and SSR the last 5.....I start 2nd guessing how I am spending my points. I was so excited to become a new DVC owner and we got so many points when we joined...I didn't really think about what I was spending. We got 2006 UY points of 300, we got Dev. points of 300 and we get another 300 this Oct. because that is our UY. So I was like WOOHOOOO....let's plan a trip. So I called MS just trying to get x amt. of days at BWV and x amt. at SSR. So now I crunch point numbers realizing we would be so much better off point wise if we did SSR first and then BWV and if we had a Standard View vs. Preferred. LOL It makes me nuts. I don't know why this bugs me...we have loads of points still to bank by March 31st. I guess it comes down to looking at it like CASH.....because if I was doing this by cash....I would more than likely come up with the better deal cash wise. Does this make sense? I feel like I am wasting points by not using them wisely so to speak. :confused:

We're pretty stingy. With only 150 points, we go at value season and skip the weekends; this way we can eek out two vacations per year. (I like to think myself frugal, but some call me cheap.)

I am stingy till they bleed. A lot of people look at every nuance when they are looking to buy and hardly think the "cost" after they buy. Their choice but seems dumb to me. I think a lot of people treat DVC like found money much like you got an inheritance, that when they spend it, it's not really like spending real money. Their choice of course but not a good one overall. The exception would be use or lose points.

Are you doing two weekends for those 9 nights? I would generally prefer to do BWV prior to SSR because I generally follow and believe in the travel recommendations of doing the busier part of a split trip first. If you can get BW view or SV, that may save you a few points but likely not enough to sweat over.

Having said all of that you need to learn the system well enough that you won't have to second guess yourself very much. Then you'll be comfortable with your decisions as well as any changes you need to make.

I like to think of myself as "parsimonious" with points ..........sounds so much better! :teeth:
Since we have "must-go" times (F&W, much of January), I make sure that our points stretch. Most of the time, it's just DH and me, so studios work for us. I like to have some leftover points, either for a "fix" if we get WDW withdrawal, or to use for another studio if any of our family can join us. :thumbsup2
But now that AKV is another "home", I have the feeling that I'll be splurging those points for either savanna or concierge views. They're just too tempting!::yes::

For the frist two years we were not to worried about our points. Now that we added on several times, we are very stingy. We now total up the points for every possibility and see which way uses less. We also add in cash nights if we can.

So now I crunch point numbers realizing we would be so much better off point wise if we did SSR first and then BWV and if we had a Standard View vs. Preferred. LOL It makes me nuts. I don't know why this bugs me...we have loads of points still to bank by March 31st. I guess it comes down to looking at it like CASH.....because if I was doing this by cash....I would more than likely come up with the better deal cash wise. Does this make sense? I feel like I am wasting points by not using them wisely so to speak. :confused:

Hi Denise - how many points diff. are you talking about? Is it really that many? We're new at this so we're starting out being VERY stingy! I would probably have planned out exactly how we'd use every single one of those 900 points for the next 2 years by now :teacher: but I'm a spreadsheet kind of person... And I would probably be running a "cash" column on the spreadsheet too so I could compare it to how much it would cost if we were paying with cash...just to be sure we were squeezing every dollar we could out of it... But then again, we only have 250 pts. & we don't have all of these "bonus" points to splurge on... If we had 900 pts. we'd be using them on DCL...

We will be there in Aug. too - going after the season drops from Magic to Dream and trying out OKW to save pts. - Like I said, we're taking the stingy approach!! :dance3: We're planning to bank as many as we can for next year to use with DCL... I'm already feeling symptoms of "addonitis" but we just can't buy any more for a long while....like years! :rotfl:

More parsimonious point lovers here!
I can't imagine a time when we would use our points for a weekend stay. We stay onsite with cash on weekends-- giving us a chance to explore other resorts. Most recently, we stayed two nights at the Swan with a teacher rate, before coming "home" to OKW! Loved it!

I am stingy till they bleed. A lot of people look at every nuance when they are looking to buy and hardly think the "cost" after they buy. Their choice but seems dumb to me. I think a lot of people treat DVC like found money much like you got an inheritance, that when they spend it, it's not really like spending real money. Their choice of course but not a good one overall. The exception would be use or lose points.

Are you doing two weekends for those 9 nights? I would generally prefer to do BWV prior to SSR because I generally follow and believe in the travel recommendations of doing the busier part of a split trip first. If you can get BW view or SV, that may save you a few points but likely not enough to sweat over.

Having said all of that you need to learn the system well enough that you won't have to second guess yourself very much. Then you'll be comfortable with your decisions as well as any changes you need to make.

Thank you Dean. There are many on these boards that attempt to make others feel 'cheap' because they try to conserve points.

They cannot be bothered to (fill in the blank) because that is why they bought the points in the first place. Some of us do not have unlimited funds to purchase 500+ points and we have to be careful how we spend them.

Finally, the voice of reason. Thank you.

Well I thought that too about dong BW first then SSR for the same reasons you mentioned. You are so right about the spending of the points too. I am staying two weekend days at BWV if I keep the ressie the way it is.

Well I thought that too about dong BW first then SSR for the same reasons you mentioned. You are so right about the spending of the points too. I am staying two weekend days at BWV if I keep the ressie the way it is.
Are staying only two weekend days total and the other 7 are weekdays?

Hi Denise - how many points diff. are you talking about? Is it really that many? We're new at this so we're starting out being VERY stingy! I would probably have planned out exactly how we'd use every single one of those 900 points for the next 2 years by now :teacher: but I'm a spreadsheet kind of person... And I would probably be running a "cash" column on the spreadsheet too so I could compare it to how much it would cost if we were paying with cash...just to be sure we were squeezing every dollar we could out of it... But then again, we only have 250 pts. & we don't have all of these "bonus" points to splurge on... If we had 900 pts. we'd be using them on DCL...

We will be there in Aug. too - going after the season drops from Magic to Dream and trying out OKW to save pts. - Like I said, we're taking the stingy approach!! :dance3: We're planning to bank as many as we can for next year to use with DCL... I'm already feeling symptoms of "addonitis" but we just can't buy any more for a long while....like years! :rotfl:

Okay I guess it is not huge amts. of points but here is the break down. We are in a 2 bedroom at each resort.

Currently we are staying at BWV preferred Aug. 15th through the 18th (two weekend nights). The first night is more because it is still in Magic. So for this portion of the trip we are using 218 vs. 198 if we got standard view.

SSR portion of the trip is all week days. That is 155 for a grand total of 380 for the preferred or 353 for the standard (if we get it..we are waitlisted)
IF we stayed at SSR for our entire trip it would cost us 352.

Okay if we were to go to SSR first and BW second....our total trip points would cost us 364 Preferred or 348 standard because those nights are all weekday nights at BW.

So that is the breakdown basically.

Self proclaimed points miser here! :thumbsup2

It's become like a game... how many trips/nights can I get out of what we have?

Yes that is correct. I just did the breakdown on another post. I feel like a DVC idiot at times. LOL
Don't worry, we've all been there and we all still are on various topics. Given your breakdown above I wouldn't make any changes. You could try to get the BWV BW view or SV and wait list if need be but I don't think the points differences are enough to get worried above given the specifics. One thing you might consider is seeing if you can get the preferred view 2 BR for cash using a member discount and compare that rate to the points costs. Maybe $1000 for those 2 nights instead of 147 points. And given your current room reservations you could then link them and not have to change rooms. That plan won't work for SV or BW view though. But if you make no changes, I think you're already in a very good situation.

"Are you protective/stingy with your points?? "
No. I'm not with my points.... but I'll tell you why -

Work in IT / computers, and it's very hard to get vacation time off, so need the weekends becasue they don't count as missed work time.

Plus the airfare to get there, dog and kitty kennel reservations, parking at the airport, etc... and we're past $1,000 even before we've left.

So I just bit the bullet, and got more points, so we can enjoy weekends.

If I could drive there, or had more vacation time, then I think our usage would be more efficient.

And now DD is getting older, so even if we could pull her out of school, the workload is getting harder.... So stuck to xmas, spring break, etc. soon.... I figure this will happen in middle school.

So even though we know it's not the most efficient use of our points, we choose to do so for other reasons.

Goldi

Don't worry, we've all been there and we all still are on various topics. Given your breakdown above I wouldn't make any changes. You could try to get the BWV BW view or SV and wait list if need be but I don't think the points differences are enough to get worried above given the specifics. One thing you might consider is seeing if you can get the preferred view 2 BR for cash using a member discount and compare that rate to the points costs. Maybe $1000 for those 2 nights instead of 147 points. And given your current room reservations you could then link them and not have to change rooms. That plan won't work for SV or BW view though. But if you make no changes, I think you're already in a very good situation.

What is our discount exactly? So is BW view more or less than preferred? I didn't think so. IS standard just the worse possible ever view? SO are you saying that if I have to pay the preferred view I my as well try and get the BW view. Do you feel that standard view is okay too? I know nothing about the view. Okay....but in the whole scheme of things wouldn't going to BW last (If that becomes available) be the very best deal as far as saving points? I mean when should we as DVC members worry about the point difference between staying here or there? I guess that is personal preference .Okay I am rambling now. LOL

Okay I guess it is not huge amts. of points but here is the break down. We are in a 2 bedroom at each resort.

Currently we are staying at BWV preferred Aug. 15th through the 18th (two weekend nights). The first night is more because it is still in Magic. So for this portion of the trip we are using 218 vs. 198 if we got standard view.

SSR portion of the trip is all week days. That is 155 for a grand total of 380 for the preferred or 353 for the standard (if we get it..we are waitlisted)
IF we stayed at SSR for our entire trip it would cost us 352.

Okay if we were to go to SSR first and BW second....our total trip points would cost us 364 Preferred or 348 standard because those nights are all weekday nights at BW.

So that is the breakdown basically.

OK, now that you've given the break-down I'd say with the loads of points that you have available for THIS year I wouldn't worry a minute! Once all of these extra points you have are gone & you're down to your 300 pts. / yr. then I'm sure you'll put more time into the planning! You still have 520 left to "play with" for this calendar year - so IMO you're lookin' good! Enjoy them!:cloud9:

What is our discount exactly? So is BW view more or less than preferred? I didn't think so. IS standard just the worse possible ever view? SO are you saying that if I have to pay the preferred view I my as well try and get the BW view. Do you feel that standard view is okay too? I know nothing about the view. Okay....but in the whole scheme of things wouldn't going to BW last (If that becomes available) be the very best deal as far as saving points? I mean when should we as DVC members worry about the point difference between staying here or there? I guess that is personal preference .Okay I am rambling now. LOL
The discount is 25% of rack rate but it's not automatically available. BW and SV are not bookable on cash, that's why it won't work if you have one of those though you could cancel the cash reservation later if you did match on a wait list. I actually like the SV units as do many here on DIS. Unless you get the BW view, I don't think there's any advantage to preferred over SV other than it costs you more points.

As for reversing your trip and saving a few points, I personally don't think it's worth the difference unless you can combine that savings with paying cash for the weekend nights at SSR instead. Ultimately you have to decide where it's worth savings points and where it's not. As I alluded to perviously, once you learn the system well enough, you can make these decision up front and then not really worry too much about it after that.

I'm like some of the other posters who like to play around with their points to "get just one more trip out of the points this year!"lol I have tried different resorts now, with various accomodations and points, and sometimes the cash night does help. Last year we did 2 studios instead of a 2bdrm for the first part of the trip, and then moved over to a 2 bdrm at BCV for the last 5 nights.

One of the things that I like about DVC is that I can plan different trips at different times of the year and use different amounts of points for each. I do plan our annual August trip first though, and then see what I have left.

I'm like some of the other posters who like to play around with their points to "get just one more trip out of the points this year!"lol I have tried different resorts now, with various accomodations and points, and sometimes the cash night does help. Last year we did 2 studios instead of a 2bdrm for the first part of the trip, and then moved over to a 2 bdrm at BCV for the last 5 nights.

One of the things that I like about DVC is that I can plan different trips at different times of the year and use different amounts of points for each. I do plan our annual August trip first though, and then see what I have left.

Did you get studios next to each other???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter