Are you sending your kids to school next month?

Wow that’s a long way into the future ...what state ?
In Ohio, many are adding a week after the normal Christmas break, but looking to start in person or hybrid again on Jan . 11 th
But we did go remote 3 times for a week or so during the past2 quarters

We are full remote until about January 4th. They will reassess at that time. Though if our county goes purple (the highest color we can go) we will but full remote until we are back in read.

Reviving this thread, rather than starting a new one - needed to vent. Our school district just announced we are closed (remote - same thing) until March 1, but if metrics aren't met then April 12. Are you kidding me?
Absolutely livid right now...

I hear ya. It's very frustrating. Our school shut down again on 11/19 and is closed through winter break, **hopefully** reopening for in person instruction after the break ends, but it depends on infection rates in the area of course. We got an email about it from the school over this past weekend. What I found interesting about the school's email was when the school said...

"As the vast majority of COVID transmission issues at our schools are related to staff-to-staff interaction, we are adjusting our Mitigation Plan with new rules and procedures governing staff interaction, meetings, and physical distancing. This will result in fewer people needing to quarantine when there is an on-campus case, and help to ensure the continuation of school operations."

Reviving this thread, rather than starting a new one - needed to vent. Our school district just announced we are closed (remote - same thing) until March 1, but if metrics aren't met then April 12. Are you kidding me?

Wow! that is a LONG time. We keep switching in and out of remote. First the highs school went remote for two weeks due to high cases, then the elementary followed shortly after for two weeks, then they made the decision for everyone to go remote through Christmas holidays. They review it every month or so to either keep us remote or return to hybrid. There would be parents with torches storming the buildings if they closed us until March!

DD13's school is still hybrid. DD17's school is virtual until the end of January, at which point they hope to go hybrid. She's a senior. It sucks.

What do you want them to do? The metrics are there for a reason. This whole thing will be over by this time next year.
Just wanted to vent, but my son is a Sr. and that doesn't do him any good. My daughter is a SOPH and her grades are taking a hit just when she needs good grades to apply to colleges. So far their lacrosse seasons are still intact and expected to start in April. It's really the only thing keeping them going right now. We have been lied to so many times already - no telling if that's even true.

I ran into a friend who sent her DD to a different private school this year. The school started at the beginning of August, face to face, and has stayed open. The admin made the decision that there would be no Fall break, no week off at Thanksgiving, none of the other days off/holidays sprinkled through the fall and they finished classes either the week of Thanksgiving or the week after (I didn't confirm, but I know they were out all last week). How brilliant was that? Sure, it was a long, hard slog with no breaks, but it limited the families traveling or really increasing their exposures over Thanksgiving/Fall Break etc. I think the only day they were off was Labor Day, but I'm not 100% certain; I do know they didn't have any of the week long breaks the public schools in my area had. Their students wore masks in the halls, but masks were not required inside their classrooms but they did keep desks separated. I know they also limited their numbers and were full prior to school starting, unlike my kids' school who added students and classes as much as a month after school started.

My frustrations are my kids are not learning, what's next year going to be like when my son starts high school and basically took off a year and a half?

California State University System announced last week they are on remote until the Fall Semester 2021. Given where we are right now with cases, in your school situation, April 12 seems like a pipe dream.

I ran into a friend who sent her DD to a different private school this year. The school started at the beginning of August, face to face, and has stayed open. The admin made the decision that there would be no Fall break, no week off at Thanksgiving, none of the other days off/holidays sprinkled through the fall and they finished classes either the week of Thanksgiving or the week after (I didn't confirm, but I know they were out all last week). How brilliant was that? Sure, it was a long, hard slog with no breaks, but it limited the families traveling or really increasing their exposures over Thanksgiving/Fall Break etc. I think the only day they were off was Labor Day, but I'm not 100% certain; I do know they didn't have any of the week long breaks the public schools in my area had. Their students wore masks in the halls, but masks were not required inside their classrooms but they did keep desks separated. I know they also limited their numbers and were full prior to school starting, unlike my kids' school who added students and classes as much as a month after school started.
This is what my DDs private schools did. Only day off was Labor Day and one scheduled at home learning day a month. Classes finished before Thanksgiving and we are supposed to go back Jan 5. However, our county is a hot mess right now, everyone of our 5 metrics is red (worst level), and we have 14 ICU beds available over 16 counties (our urban area takes care of the surrounding rural areas). The public school system switched to all virtual this last week because of numbers. We will see if they go back in person or if we elect to send her in person. Her school did not have to close this semester, but she has had 2 separate cases In her individual class (the only ones in the whole elementary school). One happened the last week of school and we had already pulled her to do at home learning the last week because local cases were getting bad and we got spooked.

Still hybrid here WNY, haven't closed at all. My youngest is at private school 5 days in person and they haven't closed at all either. Hope we keep it up!

Also in CA, and our districts have said Feb is the earliest we can go back - and that's following the state guidelines put forth. My gut has said after spring break will optimistic for my elementary aged kids. I don't anticipate my high schoolers going back to any form of in person this year.

Just wanted to vent, but my son is a Sr. and that doesn't do him any good. My daughter is a SOPH and her grades are taking a hit just when she needs good grades to apply to colleges. So far their lacrosse seasons are still intact and expected to start in April. It's really the only thing keeping them going right now. We have been lied to so many times already - no telling if that's even true.

Move South. Wide open down here. Some mask wearing (Costco 🙄, etc), but public schools are completely open. We have a senior also. Our school district says they are following the science and that the death rate is less than with the flu, so they are OPEN. They email letters every time someone tests positive. Probably 2-3 people a week in a high school of 3000. No one hospitalized. They work for you. Make sure you tell them you want them open. We went to a school board meeting over the summer and told them to open the school. Most parents were saying the same thing. They didn’t have much of a choice. It’s completely ludicrous for schools to be remote. They are open face to face in Europe.

Move South. Wide open down here. Some mask wearing (Costco 🙄, etc), but public schools are completely open. We have a senior also. Our school district says they are following the science and that the death rate is less than with the flu, so they are OPEN. They email letters every time someone tests positive. Probably 2-3 people a week in a high school of 3000. No one hospitalized. They work for you. Make sure you tell them you want them open. We went to a school board meeting over the summer and told them to open the school. Most parents were saying the same thing. They didn’t have much of a choice. It’s completely ludicrous for schools to be remote. They are open face to face in Europe.

Not sure if you're joking, but Europe isn't open. You have no idea how many people the teenagers are spreading the virus to who are hospitalized. Nobody at all should be looking to the South for Coronavirus advice.

I wish we had clear metrics. I passed on a virtual academy for my autistic son after much back and forth because they couldn't tell me that they would follow his IEP. At the time, our district had set metrics. I felt they would only open when safe. Since then they have decide to open the metrics to consider mental health and basically tossed out the percent positive and hospitalization metrics they set before. We are in the highest risk bracket with cases and keep setting records for our county in hospitalizations but as far as I know we are set to return in January.

Clear not changing metrics and set dates to let us know would help a lot.

My daughters and son-in-law are all teachers and teaching remotely. I'm hoping the schools stay closed for the rest of the year.
One of my daughters has a class of 20 kids. Some are doing very well and actually excelling. If there is parental involvement and if the kids do what they are instructed to do, they will learn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter