Are you sending your kids to school next month?

I am sending mine back. We don't start until next month. My DD will be a senior, she would wear a full hazmat suit to go back. lol If I lived in another state where cases were high I would not. We are going back in a hybrid cohort with mandatory masks. 2 half days a week (no lunch) the rest of the day virtual. Kids are divided alphabetically, A-L goes Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday all virtual, Thursday & Friday M-Z goes. They have purchased multiple items to clean, added additional staff, temperature checking machines, ventilation systems etc.
My DD12 suffers from anxiety. I am concerned for her because I don't know how this will be for her (she won't give me a straight answer of whether she wants to go). I'm also afraid the longer she stays out the harder it will be to get her back. Good luck everyone.

We were going hybrid, and now a week and a half before the start of school, our superintendent changed course and recommended all virtual. Half our county has no internet access, we have very low Covid cases, and our state has decently low numbers. Our family has high speed internet, but I'm really concerned about this whole virtual schooling scenario.

no kids in it anymore (thankfully) BUT district we are assigned to has decided-

start wed 9/2 w/ remote

on mon 9/21 go to mix, half school is 'a' and other half 'b'. a goes ft m/t, b goes ft th/f, wednesdays are all distance (and i guess when they sanitize classrooms and buses between a and b groups).

right now our public health director is against face to face b/c of our numbers so i'm thinking that face to face may get pushed further and further out.

OH-and the local university that was going all online except a few lab and such courses but welcoming back students to the dorms? they announced that come thanksgiving break ALL in person classes must end or become remote (all while dorm students are welcome to return they feel it might be better if people that traveled home for thanksgiving just stay there and finish out the quarter/winter break vs. return to campus before the winter quarter starts).

We had 2 workers give notice today because their kids schools are virtual only so they have no choice but to stay with them (elementary age). This is going to hurt a lot of workplaces.

i think some schools will lose staff as well. i was just wondering out loud to dh about a family member whose household consists of both husband and wife teachers who teach for the same school their own 3 under 10 year old kids are enrolled at. the school is going entirely remote w/ 'live' lessons and all that comes with it. i can't imagine how they will manage it (or if their internet capability could handle that kind of demand).

We had 2 workers give notice today because their kids schools are virtual only so they have no choice but to stay with them (elementary age). This is going to hurt a lot of workplaces.

A coworker of mine is seriously considering taking a leave of absence until in person instruction can begin. She’s found it impossible to do telecommuting while also helping her 5 year old with school work all day long.

We were going hybrid, and now a week and a half before the start of school, our superintendent changed course and recommended all virtual. Half our county has no internet access, we have very low Covid cases, and our state has decently low numbers. Our family has high speed internet, but I'm really concerned about this whole virtual schooling scenario.

We might live in the same county. Are you just outside the northern Virginia area?

My previous school had 4 teachers quit this week because they cannot do in-person teaching due to being high risk. Two are Type 1 diabetes, one is undergoing chemo, and the fourth finished chemo last year. The district will not let them be "online" teachers so they were forced to retire or quit. All 4 are amazing educators.

A neighboring district had 300 teachers take a leave due to them being high risk or living with a family member who is high risk.

DS moves into freshman dorm next Thursday. The university has asked them not to leave the grounds if unnecessary until the semester ends at Thanksgiving. Only the residents of each dorm are allowed in their respective buildings. Spacing, lowered capacities, masks, and sanitizer are how we hopefully will get thru Fall 2020.

I believe all students and faculty must be tested twice a week. If a student tests positive they need go home to recuperate/quarantine if they live within 200 miles; there is an area set up on campus for positive students if needed but they pointed out capacity isn't high.

It feels like the school is giving it their best shot to minimize opportunity for spread and keep infection rates low enough that the school can function as planned.

My previous school had 4 teachers quit this week because they cannot do in-person teaching due to being high risk. Two are Type 1 diabetes, one is undergoing chemo, and the fourth finished chemo last year. The district will not let them be "online" teachers so they were forced to retire or quit. All 4 are amazing educators.

A neighboring district had 300 teachers take a leave due to them being high risk or living with a family member who is high risk.
That is so wrong. So sad that teachers are STILL being treated like garbage.

That is sad that they have taken such a hardball stance. They have lost 4 teachers. This kind of thing makes me angry that they would think so little of teachers

That is so wrong. So sad that teachers are STILL being treated like garbage.
That is sad that they have taken such a hardball stance. They have lost 4 teachers. This kind of thing makes me angry that they would think so little of teachers

I can actually see both sides to the story here. Both sides are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The district only has about 7% of the kids doing 100% online. There are no subs to fill in. When other teachers took a leave or left in all districts anyone who applied was hired unless there was glaring issues.

One of the people who left is one of my best friends. She has an amazing connection with kids and can get even the "hard" kids to produce work. She still has 5 years before she can retire so she has no idea what she's going to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter