• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you superstitous?

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
Next Friday is the 13th (aka Friday the 13th). I am not usually superstitious but...

I have a doctor appointment next Friday. Just an annual check-up. But the last two years the "check-up" have found potential issues. Year 1 I was diagnosed with HPV. Year 2 still have HPV and abnormal cells in the anal canal. Both are just watch and see status. I am kinda worried that something else will be found or that one of the watch and see issues are going to be bigger issues. Of course I was already worried about this but being Friday the 13th just kind of freaks me out.

So are you superstitious? Do you avoid ladders, black cats? Toss split salt over your shoulder?

We're flying to Orlando on Friday the 13th!

I've never been superstitious and I hope I never am. Knock on wood.
Too funny. My Mom was very superstitious, but I've never been. I will say, "knock on wood" on occasion, after declaring something to DH. That usually means he gets gently knocked on the head. :laughing:

OP, in all seriousness, I hope you get a clean bill of health from your doctor. Best wishes to you.

A little. I almost got fired on a Friday the 13th, so every Friday the 13th after that, I took a personal day.

I always put my left shoe/slipper on first. I have two black cats, so I think they cancel each other out. I won't walk under a ladder, but that's because I'm afraid it will fall on me lol. Salt over my left shoulder I just recently started doing, but I don't like doing it because it makes a mess.
I have changed a flight before because it had a 13 in the flight number.

Good luck at your appointment. I've been in a similar experience and even after 10 years of normal paps, I still get very anxious that time of the year.

Good luck and good vibes for your appointment.

The only time I was superstitious was when my Mom was going into the hospital for her second cancer surgery. The doctors weren't sure what they would find, and I was thinking the worst. I used to wear my grandmother's Mother's Ring. For those who don't know, a Mother's Ring has each of the childrens' birthstones set into it. This particular ring had my Mom's stone, plus the stones of her brothers and sister. Anyway, the night before the surgery after 40-odd years with no mishaps, my Mom's birthstone fell out of the ring. I took it as a bad omen, and it turned out that her cancer had not only returned, it had spread. Even today I find it hard to fathom that it was just a coincidence. It was weird.

To a degree.

Ladders and black cats ( black cats rule) don't bother me.

When I cruised DCL I have to same exact stateroom. When I fly I have to sit in very back.

I loathe holidays because stuff happens , car accidents, deaths, .
This weekend is my dd, Dorian , yes seriously, her bday.
Her key is stuck in ignition. Her dd came home from school and is sick. And we had a Tropical storm warning from hurricane Dorian, but that wasn't bad.

I hope you get a clean bill of health from your doctor. Best wishes to you.
Good luck at your appointment. I've been in a similar experience and even after 10 years of normal paps, I still get very anxious that time of the year.
Good luck and good vibes for your appointment.
Thanks. I hate going to the doctor but having this that we "waiting and seeing" about make it even worse.

Yes

I always throw salt over my shoulder when it gets spilled (keeps the devil from looking over your shoulder)

I knock wood

I refuse to talk about a shutout in hockey before it happens. That’s a total jinx.

Yes and no. It’s not consistent is the best way I can describe it. I knock wood randomly and only occasionally throw salt over my shoulder. And I always forget which shoulder it’s supposed to be.

So are you superstitious? Do you avoid ladders, black cats? Toss split salt over your shoulder?

ladders - no
cats - no
salt - no
volume of 13 on the TV - yes (but not all 13s bother me)
"knock on wood" - often, but not taken too seriously

Yes and no. It’s not consistent is the best way I can describe it. I knock wood randomly and only occasionally throw salt over my shoulder. And I always forget which shoulder it’s supposed to be.

Inconsistent is a good way to put it for me as well!

Too funny. My Mom was very superstitious, but I've never been. I will say, "knock on wood" on occasion, after declaring something to DH. That usually means he gets gently knocked on the head. :laughing:

OP, in all seriousness, I hope you get a clean bill of health from your doctor. Best wishes to you.

Yep, sometimes the head thing.

Also wishing you a good appointment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter