Are you supposed to tip the trash collectors?

Darcy03231

DIS Veteran
And what do you give them? We got a Christmas card from our trash collectors taped to the empty can. We don't know them. We've never even seen them.

I will not tip the trash collector or mail carrier this year. Last year, I did leave something for the mail carrier as I was very busy selling on ebay, so had lots of packages going out on a regular basis; he was great about scanning them in (others aren't), so I felt he deserved a little extra recognition. This year's mail carrier often mis-delivers mail and packages, so I'm not going out of my way to leave him something (which may result in more mis-delivered mail, but I'll take my chances).

And what do you give them? We got a Christmas card from our trash collectors taped to the empty can. We don't know them. We've never even seen them.

^^^Leaving a card seems like fishing for a gift, but it could very well be heartfelt. Call me Scrooge.

I never have before, but this Summer I met our collector at a car show. Turns out he is a fellow car guy and he really liked ours. I joked to him "I guess we'll have to tip you now". Ever since then he gets out of the truck and runs our dumpster back up the driveway. So I guess we will.

Nope. Never have and they seem to be different guys every few months. Maybe they rotate routes? I have no idea.

I don't tip the mail carrier either.

A couple years ago our trash collector did the same thing.....taped an envelope on our garbage can. I tip people at Christmas because I want to not because I'm expected to. We do tip our mailman because he has been with us a long time and goes above and beyond. He always leaves a beautiful Thankyou/ Christmas card in the mailbox afterwards. :)

We leave a gift for the mail carrier, trash guys and paper carrier.

I have no idea who our trash collector is, so no tip. They don't even get out of the truck to empty the cans, it's all automated. The mail carrier changes often so I never know will be delivering the mail. May give a box of chocolates if I see my regular carrier.

If they could stop breaking my trash cans (3 heavy duty cans...same brand we used in the restaurant, which lasted 4 years...in less than a year), and clean up the trash they drop as they drive around the neighborhood, sure.

I'll tip the new mail person...probably a box of chocolates...because she is working really hard, and actually gets out of the vehicle to deliver the package, instead of leaving a "you weren't home, come pick it up" note.

I also will tip our regular FedEx driver. He's been our driver for 6 years, and he is the nicest guy. Always asks how the family is doing. My daughter was home for a visit, and she answered the door when he rang (a few weeks ago), started to talk "Hey, Mrs W, how's it...oh, sorry. You're not Mrs W." She laughed and told him I was at the store and she was visiting. She said they chatted for a minute, then he went off to do his rounds. He carries in the heavy packages my elderly neighbor has delivered sometimes, instead of leaving them on the porch. Oh, and when we had baby ducks born in the front yard (under the bushes), he came on his break and brought the mama duck some bird food of some sort.

I have no idea who our trash collector is, so no tip. They don't even get out of the truck to empty the cans, it's all automated. The mail carrier changes often so I never know will be delivering the mail. ................

Same thing here. In fact they'll just drive by if the bin is not in the right place out at the road. No mail carrier tip either, since I moved two years ago up in NY I'm constantly getting mail for other houses in the area.

We leave our trash collectors a couple of 12 packs of soda and a bag of candy.

no we do not tip the trash people since now they sit in the truck and push a button and an arm picks up the can and dumps it. we also pay for trash pickup. we do give our mailman a small gift since when it is cold he brings the mail up too our house instead of leaving it in the box by the road.

Not on a bet. They're lucky I don't report them for all the trash they leave strewn about the street every week.

We tip the trash collectors. They always take everything we leave away and put our cans back by the curb. They've always been very nice too. They used to send a card around to ask that the tip be taped to the lid of the garbage can. They've stopped that someone began stealing the tips from under the garbage can lid. They ask us to hand deliver the gift.
We don't tip the mailman as there are a lot of mistakes made. We get other people's mail and they get ours.

We tip our garbage guys with cash or gift cards ($25 each for three of them.) They do a great job and go above and beyond so it is just a token of our appreciation. Our mail is delivered to another neighbor's home about once every two weeks so the mail lady gets nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter