Are you thinking of flying in the day of the cruise?

cruisinmama06

DIS Veteran
My AirTran flights have just been changed for the FOURTH time in 3 months. :eek:

This is the worst I have ever seen it. Flights are being dropped like crazy.

We are flying in 6 days pre-cruise...lol...so I don't have a problem. :banana:

But ANYONE going on a cruise, CHECK YOUR FLIGHT before you leave! I am emailed everytime there is a change...but most people aren't.

I very much agree, our last cruise, we were going the day before, glighht canceled we were told that we ould not get there until the next night, after the boat left, so i went out of security, found a manager, built a flight that took 9 hours on a plane for a direct flight that is normally less than 2 hours and got to the hotel at 3am. BOOK A DAY EARLY!!

schedule changes for the Fall are here. As mentioned check your flights & EXPECT them to change. I was on Delta and they canceled flights to my destination for 3 DAYS (weather initially, then claimed a power outage at the airport) funny how AirTran was still flying & I got there on the original day of travel.

Yeah, my airtran flight out had been changed to a layover in atlanta, now I have a nonstop again, but it leaves at 8am!

Expedia contacted airtran and was told that there was some sort of maintenance shifting going on and that my flight home would changed back before I leave, but my vacation is in December and I don't want to leave that early!

Still flying in the day of. I enjoy both a challenge and going against the grain. And since everyone has told us not too...we'll be flying in the day of. Bring it on, rofl. Worse case scenario we'll contact DCL and see about transfering things to a WDW package instead.

Still flying in the day of. I enjoy both a challenge and going against the grain. And since everyone has told us not too...we'll be flying in the day of. Bring it on, rofl. Worse case scenario we'll contact DCL and see about transfering things to a WDW package instead.

This is your first cruise? I seriously hope you make it ON it. ;)

My flight this past March from Tampa - delayed a whole DAY.

We flew direct to Orlando last August, suppose to arrive at 1pm for the Pirate Princess Party, got there at 10pm. :eek:

The flight a few months before that, suppose to arrive at 10am in Miami, arrived at 7pm.

Luckily the last time I flew in the day of the cruise was back in 1997...lol. I wouldn't risk it today.

Good luck! :flower3:

The only way I would fly the day of is if DCL made my reservations. If they made the flights as part of your package they are responsible to get you to the cruise. But if you booked your flights and you miss the boat I would only hope you have insurance because it now becomes the customer's responsibility.

All Airlines are really going nuts. I had flights with Midwest and heard on the NEWS that they were not going to fly to Orlando. I still have not recieved any notice from Midwest. Took over on week to even get through to talk to a person to request a refund and another two weeks before I saw the refund. Then I had to assure I had flights again. I will never ever again attempt to fly in the day of a cruise. I will never book them (Flights) independently either. I will pay more to allow DCL to mess with the airlines. In 5 cruises I only flew in day of the 1st time. Didn't know any better. Now I either fly down the day before and stay at the Hyatt or I visit WDW before the cruise for several days.

I also check my flights almost weekly because they seem to think they have the right to subsitude my flights at their will with no regards to the customer. Anyone else is required to make notification if the product purscased is no longer available and ask if you desire a different product.

Can everyone tell I have had about all I can handle, I leave in only 37 more days. Only wish I was closer so it would be reasonable to drive

Like Grandma4ever said, unless DCL made your reservations you will be out of luck. You'll lose the entire amount you paid for your cruise if you "miss the boat" because your flight came in late - you can always pay to join the cruise at the first (or second) port of call.

We have flown in the day of the cruise several times - one of them was even the Med cruise. And every time has gone off without a hitch. There are as many good stories as there are bad. Based on the Magical Express lines and the DCL buses at MCO, there are lot of people who do the same thing.

You'll be fine. :thumbsup2

We have flown in the day of the cruise several times - one of them was even the Med cruise. And every time has gone off without a hitch. There are as many good stories as there are bad. Based on the Magical Express lines and the DCL buses at MCO, there are lot of people who do the same thing.

Can't always trust what you see. Many people stay at WDW and take the ME back to the airport the day of the cruise to catch an early bus to the port so not all who are there the day of flew in that day. I know because we had planned to do this but the family's plans got in the way. We are now using Fl Tours to get from POP to the port.

However, there are people who do this and have been fine. It would stress me to no end and I would never advise a person to do that unless they had no other option. It is Vacation for sure and to begin at the mercy of the airlines just isn't my cup of tea. I want to be able to relax and enjoy my vacation so I spend a little extra and stay an extra day. To each their own.

I do the Magical Express to the resorts to stay pre-cruise. What does that line have to do with it? lol ;)

I know there are good stories. But I must have the worlds worst track record with flights because I travel often and haven't been on an on-time flight in a LONG time.

Maybe flights from PA are doomed...lol. :rotfl:

Now you are making me nervous. :scared1:

I am flying SW on 8/21 for my cruise the same day. SW hasn't changed the flight and doesn't seem to be one of the airlines involved in this crazy rearranging of flights thing.

Has anyone flown SW to MCO recently? Any issues?

We land at 9:30 am --- I am hoping that is enough of a time cushion in case of mishaps. :eek:

I do the Magical Express to the resorts to stay pre-cruise. What does that line have to do with it? lol ;)

I know there are good stories. But I must have the worlds worst track record with flights because I travel often and haven't been on an on-time flight in a LONG time.

Maybe flights from PA are doomed...lol. :rotfl:

As it's the one at the airport and most of the people are talking about the flights they just got off of, it has a lot to do with it. ;)

I believe many people take ME back to the airport, then take the Cruise Buses to Port Canaveral, instead of taking the Cruise Bus from WDW itself, you'll get to the port sooner if you go via the airport.

Tony flies SW into and out of MCO a LOT, and I'm happy to say that they have continued to be reliable...so much so that we chose them, even tho' we have to make a stop, for our Panama repo cruise vs. using another carrier with a direct flight. There are no guarantees of course, but w/a 9:30 projected landing time you should be good even if there is a delay.

Now you are making me nervous. :scared1:

I am flying SW on 8/21 for my cruise the same day. SW hasn't changed the flight and doesn't seem to be one of the airlines involved in this crazy rearranging of flights thing.

Has anyone flown SW to MCO recently? Any issues?

We land at 9:30 am --- I am hoping that is enough of a time cushion in case of mishaps. :eek:

:thanks:

I feel better. I have noticed that SW seems to have a better on time avg.
I chose SW because I couldn't pass up $89 flight (of course this was months ago when I booked).

I don't think I will ever book the flight for the same day again even to save that kind of cash. Just too risky. I'll just be glad when we land at MCO.

As it's the one at the airport and most of the people are talking about the flights they just got off of, it has a lot to do with it. ;)

The Magical Express only gose back and forth between the airport and WDW only. ME does not go to the port. DCL Transportation takes people from the airport to the port. It also picks up at the MCO Hyatt and some of the WDW Resorts and takes people to the port. They are two very different lines that Disneys uses from WDW and DCL. ME is included in your resort stay and you pay extra to get to the port from where ever you are picked up.

I too understand that many people fly in the same day but with the cost of the cruise it just seems too risky to me to fly when the earliest I can get in is early afternoon. It is a personal choice for each family some like the excitment of the risk and other can not take the extra day due to responsibilities to family and work. I believe all most of us are saying is that it is less risking and less stressful to fly in the day before.

What ever you opt do enjoy your vacation.

Delta has changed my flight times about 5 or 6 times now. Usually just by a few minutes, but my original flight out of Spokane was changed by nearly an hour. For me, flying in the day of is not even an option. There just aren't any flights that would get me there in time and I would not even try it if I could because I'm a scaredy cat that I'd miss the ship.

However, I counter that paranoia by living on the wild side and not getting trip insurance and sailing during hurricane season, which is a whole other debate. :lmao:

I would'nt chance flying in the day of the cruise. Especially now with all the airlines having so many changes and such. IMO...I prefer better safe then sorry and go with the day before!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter