Area between Poly and contemporary earmarked for anything?

sachilles

DVC coming to this space soon
The undeveloped area just north of the transportation depot between poly and contemporary seems like that would be an ideal space for a resort.
Was that space ever earmarked for anything either in the original plans or anything more recent? Any place on the net or books that discuss the development history of wdw?

It was at one time going to be The Venitian resort and then not too long after the Grand Floridian opened they were going to make it into a Greek type resort. However when they went to do the survey they found that the ground was too soft and it would be too costly to put the foundation in the ground so they abandoned it.

Back in the original plans, when the magic kingdom was first being built it was supposed to be the site of the Venetian resort. After those plans went down the tubes the Mediterranean was supposed to be built in the late 80s. However when doing tests on the soil it was deemed too swampy for use. Twenty years later I don't know if technology has evolved to the point where that could be overcome

It was at one time going to be The Venitian resort and then not too long after the Grand Floridian opened they were going to make it into a Greek type resort. However when they went to do the survey they found that the ground was too soft and it would be too costly to put the foundation in the ground so they abandoned it.

Beat me to it pirate:

Thanks, with the name Venetian I was able to google a bunch of info. The rendering of the Mediterranean resort doesn't look like my cup of tea, I guess I'm not too heartbroken.

Twenty years later I don't know if technology has evolved to the point where that could be overcome
Put a Disney cruise liner there and it would have no problem floating on the soil, and it would cross promote there other business venture.:lmao:

It's too bad, as I think the location would be good for sunset viewing etc. Realistically the tech is there to build it, it's just less cost effective. Then you have to wonder if they they need the additional beds in the deluxe segment(I assume it would be a deluxe).
I do wonder if there is room in the lodging side of things for a demographic between the moderates and the deluxe resorts. My recent booking shows a pretty big price jump from moderate to deluxe, but not nearly as big a gap between moderate and value.

Put a Disney cruise liner there and it would have no problem floating on the soil, and it would cross promote there other business venture.:lmao:

It's too bad, as I think the location would be good for sunset viewing etc. Realistically the tech is there to build it, it's just less cost effective. Then you have to wonder if they they need the additional beds in the deluxe segment(I assume it would be a deluxe).
I do wonder if there is room in the lodging side of things for a demographic between the moderates and the deluxe resorts. My recent booking shows a pretty big price jump from moderate to deluxe, but not nearly as big a gap between moderate and value.

It would be incredibly cool and would make the lagoon area more full as it was originally envisioned. Personally, I think the most likely thing to fill the site would be another dvc. Seeing as they're already adding on to the deluxes around the lagoon this would make the most sense to fully tap into the market of guests that cant get into the other two. But being a dvc member myself I would prefer a hybrid deluxe or moderate with a dvc addition

For an interesting look at things, what is, and what might have been, try this:

http://www.disneydrawingboard.com/WDW/MKArea/MKArea.html

OK. Now tell me, isn't that cool!? I mean the original plan, of course!!
That is cool.
Google found this for me.
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2007/04/20/why-for-did-wdw-s-asian-venetian-and-persian-resorts-never-get-built.aspx#.UQalVPLhd8E

I totally would love a Thai based Asia resort. Seems almost too perfect.

I totally would love a Thai based Asia resort. Seems almost too perfect.
Too bad the "Disney Decade" guy didn't feel the same way. Instead he gave us a dumbed down copy of a California hotel that had nothing whatsoever to do with the theme parks!! Even just in looks!! Now that's 'magic' for you!!!

There were rumors last year that there were site balloons up in that area. I am sure there will be a resort on those grounds someday.

There have been rumors of Site balloons going up in that location every year since I don't know, At least since I registered for this site.

There is a lot of room on the EPCOT line do you think they would ever build a hotel somewhere along there.

I think it is an old urban legend that that land is not suitable to build on. Everything filed with the state (From Reedy Creek Improvement District) says that area is "Suitable" for building and is above the 100 year flood plain. Click on 2020 Comprehensive plan (The First .pdf) Page 41 & 61 have great maps of WDW:
Click link for map:
RCID Comp Plan

The maps show the land between Blizzard Beach and Hollywood Studios (Across World Drive) as the most likely "Potential" place to build a new hotel/DVC or on the Epcot monorail line (p.115). Even though everybody know the next DVC is going in at the Polynesian ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter