Arrival Day: Resort or Parks?

DisneymomCT1123

Earning My Ears
We will arrive at AKL around 2 PM on 4/3, and will be there until 4/8. Its our first time to Disney and I'm wondering if we would benefit more from relaxing, unpacking and discovering the hotel (which has lots to do), or heading out to the parks? I'm thinking of getting a 5 day park hopper pass, and doing the parks 4/4-4/8. Would it be worth it to add another day and go on the 3rd as well?

There are lots of "park-aholics" here who are going to tell you to get your butts into a park a.s.a.p.!! I'm not saying that they are wrong. But my preference is to do exactly what you suggest. Unpack. Relax. Explore the resort. Make a dinner reservation and enjoy what may be your only relaxing afternoon of the entire trip! That is what we always do on arrival day. If you are coming from CT and arriving at 2:00, odds are that you will be getting up fairly early. Take some time to unwind.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is such an amazingly beautiful place to be that whenever I stay there I always try to set aside a day-sometimes 2 just to enjoy the resort. You can view the savannas, enjoy the pool, the gift shop is great or enjoy a meal at Boma, Sanaa or if you want to splurge Jiko. If you're travelling with a wee-one there's also a packed resort activity schedule. My daughter did everything from decorating cupcakes, making a Mickey Tie-dyed shirt to taking part in a drum parade. If you'll be hitting the parks the rest of the week- take some time and enjoy the resort!

We're a hit the parks ASAP family. This past year we entered the MK around 4:30 after driving down from Atlanta. It's cheap to add the fifth day and my kids want to do some attractions more than once. FP+ works great for later arrivals.

Our last 5 visits have been stays at AKL. We never do a park on arrival day. Son is dying more to hit the pool, explore the hotel, etc. Add to that that we are usually traveled out, we always enjoy the hotel.

If my husband is planning the day, we do parks, cause that's his thing. If I'm planning the day, and I'm staying at AKL (especially with Savannah view) I'd order or create a proper afternoon tea to enjoy on the balcony while watching the grazing animals. (The tea might or might be "spirited!" :cutie: ) Then I'd enjoy a lovely sunset, and perhaps go to a park on extended evening hours if I wasn't getting up early the next morning.

Mainly... if DH is planning we do "Disney-fan activities" and if I'm planning we do "relaxation with epicurean gustation." paw:

We don't usually do the parks the day we arrive. Try to enjoy the resort and pool area. This is especially true of AKL. However, we are going to try to go to the park on our arrival day this year. The cost of the additional day for the parks is nominal and we figured why not give it a try.

First trip to Disney? I would not be able to stay away from the parks. Still can't. As soon as we get to the resort and check=in, our next stop is the bus stop to the MK.

Sure you can swim or explore the hotel, but you can swim at other hotels when on vacation and as much fun as your resort might be, it is not going to compare to the parks, (and I would recommend MK, BTW.) Add that other day and go to the parks!!!

It would depend, for me, on what resort I was at. Staying at the Values, I'd drop my stuff and go straight to the parks. But staying at AKL, or another deluxe, I'd relax and enjoy everything the resort has to offer.

If you want to leave the resort head to DS and do some shopping and eating at a relaxing pace. it'a a tradition for us to go there our first day

Our first trip we headed straight to the parks because we only had a 5 day stay. This time we are staying longer and heading to DS on arrival day AND departure day. If we were doing another shorter trip I would head to a park on arrival day.

My DH doesn't travel well so if he's with us we just relax at the resort.

At 2pm your room might not be ready. There are lots of activities you can do at AKL but I would probably hit a park-not stay out too late but book a few fast passes and hit one park for a few hours. It would be $10+tax to upgrade each ticket.

I would play it by ear, AKL is a beautiful resort and there is a lot to explore there. You didn't mention what the "we" was made up of. Small younguns, older kids, adults? That would make a difference as well. We always hit Epcot on arrival day, doesn't matter where we are staying, we must go to Epcot and eat at WS. You will be there during F&G so Epcot will have more food booths then the normal and some great exhibits. We are there every afternoon/evening or our trip during F&G and F&W. Really, you just have to know your family. If everyone is up to it, head to the park that open the latest, you can always either add on to your tickets later or have a resort day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter